Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 24 - Game 7 ~ Frogger ~ [FINISHED]

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Once you work out the nuances a.k.a. the crappy sprite collision and stupid dying when jumping off something that you are clearly already travelling on, the game is a whole lot more enjoyable.

It does take a hell of a lot of patience also, the scoring is very slow in this game and the issues listed above mean you just can not push the issue if you want a big score on this game.

Can't remember if it was last time this was played, or maybe it was during the IGBY tournament, someone did explain about the game speeds - i.e. why it slows down / speeds up at certain times. It is possible during the 5th stage (the game works in stages of 5 boards if you weren't aware) to get a speed setting that means it is impossible to complete the screen. I'll work on rolling the game at 100k, and then maybe I'll look more into the subtle things that make this game marathonable. Considering how close Michael Smith came to getting 1,000,000, I'm surprised no one has gone after that mark.

Ben F. did explain it to me during IGBY but can't for the life of me remember the details. I know its a specific screen that has to be going fast (or slow???) otherwise its a KS. Might be the 5th screen on the 3rd round of screens. Something alone those lines.

100k is a great milestone in this game. Hope a few people can get there!

I don't want to say I got an impossible board knowing how high the WR is on this game, but I think I got was pretty close to it. Board 9, 3 fast cars in the 4th lane and then close together trucks in the 5th lane. Anyway, the trucks decided to go faster than normal - think I got 24k on first frog, then lost 5 frogs in a row on this 9th board. Bloody hell :realmad:

So close, yet so far :cry

0008.thumb.png.089b4d505880674a1f07681847546d00.png

The game played unbelievably nice until board 24 when I copped a really awful speed change, managed my way through that only losing 1 frog - it then slowed and I thought "oh good" only for board 25 to suffer a horrible speed change, by the time I sort of worked out what I was doing I lost my final 2 frogs. Was over 70k and still on my third frog, I could smell the 100k :(

So close, yet so far :cry

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76663[/ATTACH]

The game played unbelievably nice until board 24 when I copped a really awful speed change, managed my way through that only losing 1 frog - it then slowed and I thought "oh good" only for board 25 to suffer a horrible speed change, by the time I sort of worked out what I was doing I lost my final 2 frogs. Was over 70k and still on my third frog, I could smell the 100k :(

That's an excellent score ... well done ... :023:

Wheres that 100k game @John73 ??

:D

Hold your horses, it's coming :P

Had a game going today, but got a work phone call and had to pause - decided to play it out just to see if I could get 100k - I was 50k while still on my 2nd frog I think, but it all went to sh1t.

A bad game is now going for around 30-40k now, a decent game is 60-70k. Just a matter of not copping too many bad speed changes or working out how to deal with the speed changes. I find I have the most problems when I cop a bad speed change on the 4th or 5th boards of each 5 stage phase of the game.

Anywho, where are your big scores? I've watched you playing Frogger and you are heads and shoulders a better player in terms of speed playing this game. Pull ya finger out :P

Hold your horses, it's coming :P

Had a game going today, but got a work phone call and had to pause - decided to play it out just to see if I could get 100k - I was 50k while still on my 2nd frog I think, but it all went to sh1t.

A bad game is now going for around 30-40k now, a decent game is 60-70k. Just a matter of not copping too many bad speed changes or working out how to deal with the speed changes. I find I have the most problems when I cop a bad speed change on the 4th or 5th boards of each 5 stage phase of the game.

Anywho, where are your big scores? I've watched you playing Frogger and you are heads and shoulders a better player in terms of speed playing this game. Pull ya finger out :P

Can't wait to see it mate

I'll probably play some tomorrow. 94k will be hard to match!

I seem to make it through the first 3 frames with relative ease only to lose all my frogs on the 4th frame every time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76758[/ATTACH]

Keep at it, once you work it out it's a piece of piss, unless you get unusual speed changes which can make it difficult. The 5th stage is probably another step up, but once you work it out it's not that hard.

My advice from my limited knowledge of the game:

1. Take your time, it's not worth trying to hurry for the few extra points you get per second for getting the frog home.

2. Stage 4 and 5 of each cycle of difficulty, just ignore the lady frog, especially on the 5th stage. Just get yourself home. Once you get better you can frog hunt.

3. You can jump into your home when the crocodiles head has just appeared, it's only when the crocs head is fully in that you will die

4. Sprite collision is way more forgiving if the cars are coming towards you, if you jump behind a car that is moving away from you, you need to make sure it is fully clear before doing so.

5. I generally try to take a frog to the far left home position ASAP, especially on the 4th and 5th stages. If you get a nasty speed change these can be difficult and sometimes nearly impossible.

5a. Experiment, probably easiest on the 1st stage with just how far you can take your frog to the far left on the turtles before jumping to the final log/croc to get into the far left home position.

Scratch that

This game REALLY gives me the shits. 35k with 1 death. Lost the rest on 1 board :mad:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76784[/ATTACH]

I think I know the exact board you are talking about - you would have been around board 10 with a score like that and copped a really shithouse speed change. Been there done that.

It really is a frustrating game, my 98k score or whatever it was, was the nicest the game has ever played for me, but other times you cop a bad board early and it's all over. I'm assuming all of these boards can be passed though, I can't see how Michael Smith score 970k on Frogger without copping several of these crappy speed changes on the 5 boards.

John73 ... pictured below, and just under the AA record :realmad:, leads the froggies ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/frogger_by_fryguy64-d53sn1y_zps7glknyfm.png http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Frogger2_zpsgzr5qcwo.png

Just 4 days to go ... who's good at street rushing and log bouncing? :026: ... then get jumping ...

Hey John I'm no expert and my high score is less than yours, but in the past I had a theory that you could manipulate the speed changes by how fast you get the frog home. I'm guessing that is how the really big scores are achieved, because they know how to not trigger the worst of the speed changes. I tested this years ago with some success, but it wasn't all that scientific and I may have fallen for positive bias.