Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Donkey Kong (King of AA)

Such a popular game - but one i never got into. Wondering how good a gme this is ? What is it about this game that makes it legendary, that makes it live through the decades ? Peoples thoughts ?

This is the main reason ... (you may learn some French too ... :lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTcR9X91Dis

Plus the promotion and forums since ...

:)

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah thank you - I have this recorded. It is like the pumping iron of video games - good vs evil - awaiting a big challenge, the preperation before hand, the contestants selling themselves - reminded me of the pumping iron movie!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Theres a DK Open going on from yesterday until monday (our time)

Managed a PB. Was just running boards, no bottom hammer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79461[/ATTACH]

Wow - that is a bloody impressive score for someone not using the bottom hammer, if you sort that out you're surly on pace for 1 million. What do you think the bottom hammer is worth per board? I'd be guessing it's at least 1000-1500+. Trying to think how many barrel boards there are - around 60?

Do you grab the bottom hammer on the pie stages? You'd probably need that also to guarantee 1,000,000. And do you also point press the 2nd fireball on the spring stages? Guessing not if you are running boards. I imagine from when I've seen you play that you are still humping DK's leg on the rivets though.

Will update the first post with your score (which I should have done ages ago for you) :redface

Wow - that is a bloody impressive score for someone not using the bottom hammer, if you sort that out you're surly on pace for 1 million. What do you think the bottom hammer is worth per board? I'd be guessing it's at least 1000-1500+. Trying to think how many barrel boards there are - around 60?

Do you grab the bottom hammer on the pie stages? You'd probably need that also to guarantee 1,000,000. And do you also point press the 2nd fireball on the spring stages? Guessing not if you are running boards. I imagine from when I've seen you play that you are still humping DK's leg on the rivets though.

Will update the first post with your score (which I should have done ages ago for you) :redface

Did absolutely no humping or point pressing in this game. Pie bottom hammer is useful only if fireballs come down, if you get a free pass - take it.

Bottom hammer can add 2000+ per board. 17*3 = 51 barrels (L5+). Theres 100k easily

My start was only ~95k. Its easy enough to increase that to 115k.

Grabbing the first two prizes on the elevator screen gives you a slight increase as well.

Death points to factor in too

All these things combined my pace should be well over 1m (~1.05m). Doing it is another story though :)

This game was about 90 minutes. Point pressing (no grouping) will increase that by another hour (2 1/2 hours total)

Thanks!

Edited by Barra
Math error!

So now we need to find not only a Galaga PCB for you to play on, but also a DK PCB so that you can get on to the arcade high score list.

Do you think it is a massive step up to go from say 1.05 towards the 1.2 mark? Do you think given time you could do it - or do you find the point pressing too boring to be bothered with?

I imagine if someone thought they were a real shot at taking down the WR then they would obviously be more intent on practising the rather tedious point pressing. What's the difference between running boards to a KS and point pressing everything to a KS - around an hour or so per game?

So now we need to find not only a Galaga PCB for you to play on, but also a DK PCB so that you can get on to the arcade high score list.

I have a Galaga PCB in the works :) DK PCB maybe one day.

Do you think it is a massive step up to go from say 1.05 towards the 1.2 mark? Do you think given time you could do it - or do you find the point pressing too boring to be bothered with?

Going from 1m to 1.1m is massive. From 1.1m to 1.15m is even bigger and 1.15m to 1.2m is bigger again.

I'm not that keen on the grouping (what you need for 1.05+). And getting 130k+ starts is wayyyyy too tedious for me. Not fun at all.

1.2m requires a shit load more luck too. Dean could play a perfect game but if the game does not co-operate, he might fall short of 1.2m

What's the difference between running boards to a KS and point pressing everything to a KS - around an hour or so per game?

My game was 90 mins. Deans 1.2m game was over 3 hours

908,800. Managed a PB.

1st AA current member to 1 million and I will send them a mystery prize and create a special DK 1 million club trophy.

No BS scores, just hit the million. Who will get there first? Probably no one ...

OOO

One year passes and the bounty is still on!

Who can get there first, or at all?

So far ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................ no one!

:popcorn:

I'm at 266,000 so far, and getting no where quick - not that I play much. Do I get the bounty if I can get to 270,000 based on my skill level :D

- - - Updated - - -

I have a Galaga PCB in the works :) DK PCB maybe one day.

Going from 1m to 1.1m is massive. From 1.1m to 1.15m is even bigger and 1.15m to 1.2m is bigger again.

I'm not that keen on the grouping (what you need for 1.05+). And getting 130k+ starts is wayyyyy too tedious for me. Not fun at all.

1.2m requires a shit load more luck too. Dean could play a perfect game but if the game does not co-operate, he might fall short of 1.2m

My game was 90 mins. Deans 1.2m game was over 3 hours

I'm sort of the same, but no where in your league in terms of game play. I do find the point pressing to be extremely tedious, not sure how guys can play a game for 1 or 2 hours and then ditch it because they are short on lives or their pace is bad.

I like CK a lot more, there is still the potential to point press, but not nearly to the same extent. CK is also a hell of a lot easier. I'm sure I've asked you in the past but I can't remember, have you KS'ed Crazy Kong?

I thought DKF was going to run a Crazy Kong Off - but no idea if they have yet, I haven't visited their forum in probably 6+ months.

Is Dean still posting there? Any idea if he is going to submit his MAME score to TG? The difference between his MAME score V the PCB high score is massive, makes me think that keyboard V joystick makes some of the point pressing he does easier, though I don't know enough about the game. I know Dean has been to a couple of Kong Offs, no idea if when he plays on an original machine if his pace is anywhere near his MAME pace.

I like CK a lot more, there is still the potential to point press, but not nearly to the same extent. CK is also a hell of a lot easier. I'm sure I've asked you in the past but I can't remember, have you KS'ed Crazy Kong?

I thought DKF was going to run a Crazy Kong Off - but no idea if they have yet, I haven't visited their forum in probably 6+ months.

Yep have hit a couple of CK kill screens and one game to 21-4

They had a CK open within the last month or so, sorry I should have posted here. I'm certain there will be more.

During the last one, Phil Tudose re-broke the record 2 or 3 times.

Is Dean still posting there? Any idea if he is going to submit his MAME score to TG? The difference between his MAME score V the PCB high score is massive, makes me think that keyboard V joystick makes some of the point pressing he does easier, though I don't know enough about the game. I know Dean has been to a couple of Kong Offs, no idea if when he plays on an original machine if his pace is anywhere near his MAME pace.

Yep Dean is still active. No idea on the TG thing but I hope he does.

He still plays at a huge pace on arcade. During the last DK open last year, he was at Ethan's (f_symbols') place and had two games end at L20, both on WR pace, within the same weekend.

TBH I'm not familiar enough with the game and point pressing to know exactly how or why he is so far above the rest. He is a very determined guy, so it could just be that.

He has had at least 4 games above the current Arcade record (on MAME)

• 1 month later...

I'll put $2 on @Barra winning a prize - if you're still playing regularly that is. Be the first and it will go a long way towards getting you your own DK machine :)

I haven't touched DK in probably 12 months. I'd really be more inclined to play it if I had a dedicated, real machine - but money won't allow that for some time :(

I'll put $2 on @Barra winning a prize - if you're still playing regularly that is. Be the first and it will go a long way towards getting you your own DK machine :)

I haven't touched DK in probably 12 months. I'd really be more inclined to play it if I had a dedicated, real machine - but money won't allow that for some time :(

Been playing lots lately :) (streaming too!)

Best is 621k on L14-5 at just over 1m pace

A ton of people playing in this. Its awesome to see

Yeah a cab would be cool. Super expensive this side of the globe though!

Edited by Barra

Just noticed your score submission on TG - great effort mate. It's amazing how quickly you've picked up this game, not only kill screening it a couple of times but now breaking 1 million on it. Compare how much time you've put into this game against many others who haven't score 1 million let alone kill screening it and you could be right up with the best players on this.

Hope you can find room in your house to get yourself a dedicated DK machine at some stage.

Just noticed your score submission on TG - great effort mate. It's amazing how quickly you've picked up this game, not only kill screening it a couple of times but now breaking 1 million on it. Compare how much time you've put into this game against many others who haven't score 1 million let alone kill screening it and you could be right up with the best players on this.

Hope you can find room in your house to get yourself a dedicated DK machine at some stage.

Thanks John!

Being an active member of the DK community definitely helps. I have learned so much from the top guys. I'm definitely thinking about going for a bigger score, also thinking about going to the KO5 next year since its at the same venue as this years (which apparently was absolutely phenomenal)

DK machine is on the list to get (for if/when its feasible for me to have cabs)

You had any games lately? (and anyone else??)

:)