Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 28 - Game 3 ~ Popeye ~ [FINISHED]

dunno where i played this before, maybe the 2600 or some poverty shop with only this and kangaroo ...

"Poverty shop" has to be an Aussie term as I've never heard of that before. In that you tied the game in with Kangaroo, I've a good solid indication of what this might mean. I laughed at this comment, even though I may not fully be understanding it. :laugh:

- - - Updated - - -

I am using an 8 way and I have had a lot of unnecessary deaths on the stairs with a diagonal move.

It takes a lot of discipline to remember only up and down.

I guess I'll just have to eat my SPINACH and suck it up.

On several games, I'll use a computer keyboard for better control (Barra's favorite controller). Some examples of games that play well with a keyboard are: Pac anything, Turtles, dkong, Congo Bongo, or basically any four way game requiring precision turns. I've been playing Popeye with a keyboard the past few days (waiting for arcade parts to arrive tomorrow or Monday for my arcade like controller). The arrow keys are brilliant for the stairs, but I have trouble snapping back and forth (left and right) when facing numerous bottles being tossed my way from both directions. Personally I'll need a regular controller to make that left right thing to work, but maybe you might have a better time of the left and right thing than me?

Regardless of your approach, yes... do eat your SPINACH .

Edited by magrinder
added OOO like color/style to "SPINACH"

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Poverty shop" has to be an Aussie term as I've never heard of that before. In that you tied the game in with Kangaroo, I've a good solid indication of what this might mean. I laughed at this comment, even though I may not fully be understanding it. :laugh:

haha the language barrier, i just meant it as a shop that couldn't afford anything better... as i do remember playing this game a fair bit and it must have been lack of choice. guess kangaroo sprang to mind as from memory its very similar.

i haven't gone to keyboard for any mgl games as yet, I just like the arcade feel with these games.

I have one side on 8 way , player 2 set to 4way, so i just rebind the inputs to whatever.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94498[/ATTACH]

Mame_Xbox.jpg.181010cd59fc7c27cd6419a579c803ea.jpg

haha the language barrier, i just meant it as a shop that couldn't afford anything better... as i do remember playing this game a fair bit and it must have been lack of choice. guess kangaroo sprang to mind as from memory its very similar.

i haven't gone to keyboard for any mgl games as yet, I just like the arcade feel with these games.

I have one side on 8 way , player 2 set to 4way, so i just rebind the inputs to whatever.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94498[/ATTACH]

You should take turns with the minion there on the right ... in fact if you don't mind, convince him to sign up on AA ... Batfink and the Minion, no Karate ... :lol

- - - Updated - - -

I am using an 8 way

Hang on, you play Mr Do with a 4 way don't you? Or are you using keyboard for Mr Do?

Then if keyboard do, then pop your eye too.

However if do 4, pop 4 and you'll be hammered ... :40s:

- - - Updated - - -

A few quick games before heading to the airport.

Mate are you being run out of town frequently? That's all I read these last 12 months ... airport, airport, airport.

It's either an eviction or you are are sick of home dinners ... :safeyet:

TooT TooT ... blame Rat for this ... he started it ... :popcorn:

The arrow keys are brilliant for the stairs, but I have trouble snapping back and forth (left and right) when facing numerous bottles being tossed my way from both directions. Personally I'll need a regular controller to make that left right thing to work, but maybe you might have a better time of the left and right thing than me?

I don't know how you guys use the keyboard for any games. I've tried it, it's just not for me.

I think Popeye would be very difficult on a keyboard from level 4 onwards. With Brutus throwing bottles from one direction, the Sea Hag throwing bottles from both directions as well as bouncing skulls from above and having to manoeuvre up and down stairs (while collecting hearts, notes, letters) it would take a lot of skill to survive using the keyboard. I would need a constant supply of spinach fed through an IV drip!

What are you using @RMacauley ?

Hang on, you play Mr Do with a 4 way don't you? Or are you using keyboard for Mr Do?

I play all games on an 8 way. It's what I'm used to using and haven't had the need to change it.

My gameplay style on Mr. Do its very fluid and I kind of roll around all the turns.

If you want to play Mr. Do well you must become Mr. Do.

You must guide Mr. Do in the same way as you yourself would run through a dirt filled cherry patch whilst being pursued by a relentless enemy. You would not stop at each corner and turn your body 90 degrees and then begin to run again. You would go for smoothness and speed. I feel that Mr.Do is very restricted in his up, down, left, right grid like world and would enjoy the sensation of rounding off the corners even if it is only in his tiny clown brain's imagination.

I have learned over the years that Mr. Do does not enjoy being rammed into a new direction with the urgency of a 4 way but prefers to be guided around freely, rolling into the turns and feeling the breeze on his little clown face....

... I feel I've gotten a little off track here.

To answer your questions,

1) I use an 8 way.

2) I don't use a keyboard.

I play all games on an 8 way. It's what I'm used to using and haven't had the need to change it.

I have said the above many times myself, I play pac-man, DK, MrDo, Pengo etc etc with my joystick in 8way and don't see a problem with it as it's what I am used to. BUT just like you said earlier I have been getting stuck on the ladders sometimes in this game so with magrinder's advice I decided to back down on my stance that I can do it 8 ways all the time and for the first time ever (had it 2 years now) on my Horiz cab I lifted the CP and unscrewed the two screws to change my physical joystick restrictor and WOW I'm really enjoying the difference :D I think my firm stance on not needing to change it came from the years I spent playing with my PSX Namco joystick that I could not restrict to 4 way, when I got my cabs I just kept going with that and as I change games I'm playing usually a couple of times a session I could not be bothered changing it back and forward.

To get around having to lift the CP and change it I even tried one of the 4/8 way switchers sold here http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/68423-4-8-Way-Joystick-Restrictor-Boards-**-Order-Now!-** and installed that on my Vert cab. I found it did help, but after playing with it for awhile it became neglected as I went back to telling myself I didn't need to use it.

But the feel of the physical restrictor is great for this game and now I'm a convert to converting :D I will still stay on 8 way most of the time but the occasional game that does NEED 4way I'm going to make the effort to change it over in the future :cool:

Those that play well on a keyboard I feel are probably possessed by evil sprites and need to be mocked into submission until they use a stick of joy like the rest of us...one of us...one of us.....nothing wrong with knobs boys just don't use those phallic bat tops they are not correct :)

http://i.imgur.com/NV68cWFh.png

Ummmm.... Are you ok?

Too many mushrooms?

This mushroom comment is ten times funnier after reading your "to play Mr. Do! you must become Mr. Do!" and the required fluidity when being chased by enemies in a cherry patch... but hey, who am I to judge?

Thanks for these last several posts everyone. Very entertaining. Very funny stuff. Who says Popeye doesn't bring out the best in people?

- - - Updated - - -

Haha. I forgot this one... "feeling the breeze on his little clown face."

Freakin' brilliant.

Hey BrB did I show you the pics of Head2Head a couple of years ago when Gary came dressed up as MrDo ?

I just had a look back through your Head 2 Head thread and found the pics.

Did he also carry around a tiny clown ball to throw at your guests?

Mate are you being run out of town frequently? That's all I read these last 12 months ... airport, airport, airport.

It's either an eviction or you are are sick of home dinners ... :safeyet:

Sick from home dinners is more like it. I can't cook for shit. :078:

I had to go to Melbourne for my Brother's 60th birthday party. He had no clue about either the party or me being in Melbourne.

What are you using @RMacauley ?

I use an 8 button Oz Stick with a Sanwa joystick installed. I had intermittent problems with switches not registering so I replaced them with the switches from an old MCA arcade stick I had lying around. The 4/8 way restrictor plate isn't installed at all right now due to the MCA switches. Might need to replace that for Popeye and see how it goes

8,550 just to get a start in. I'm on 8 way atm for BnJ and getting stuck on the stairs for Popeye, as well as other stupid ways to die :) so will move on and hope for back to back 4way games after BnJ.

popeye.png.dc9e5cc478bcd5def53a5837a9b622e5.png

On a related note I've been following a few blogs of cyclists who ride coast to coast across USA as I dream of undertaking this trip. Most pass thru Chester Illinois, the home of Popeye's creator and most pose for a photo.

popeye.jpeg.bac36f9cdde7ac1aae191fb9341ddb9e.jpeg

I'm Popeye the sailor man

I live in a garbage can.

I eats all the worms

And spits out the germs

I'm Popeye the sailor man.

Getting through the first 3 levels ok now, 2-2 atm.

Quick question on the 3 level, the pirate boat, how do you determine how many more H..E..L..P...S's you need to complete it?

Level 1 and 2 has the heart board and note gauge am I just been blind freddy?

0010.png.b22c1154cf13fa0f2862fe19118a93e1.png

Quick question on the 3 level, the pirate boat, how do you determine how many more H..E..L..P...S's you need to complete it?

Level 1 and 2 has the heart board and note gauge am I just been blind freddy?

The ladder in the middle of the boat increases by one rung with every letter.

When the ladder reaches Olive the level is complete and Popeye and Olive live happily ever after.

Well for a few seconds anyway, until Brutus comes and messes everything up again.

Wow you guys are all smashing it at Poopeye well done :)

I just got distracted by Defender again and for only the third time ever clocked it on default settings WOOHOO :)

http://i.imgur.com/QVvmJirh.jpg

As Rat said some great Poopeye'ing going on, nice work guys. Also congrats @Rat on the Defender rolling :)

Been a while since I played this. PB from the first Yolympics was around 120k. Very frustrating as I remember too, going to be a hard grind to keep up with you lot on this one! :)