Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Pinball- The come & get it Trophy.

You have calmer temperament than me, if I had got that message from Doug, it would have been kicked off the kerb onto the road under a truck and swept up into that lunch bag and posted back snail mail to Marnoo! :)

Well, you can't do that last bit anymore can you?

Look what made an appearance at this week’s Belles & Chimes PDX meeting!

We get together twice a month in a community-not-competition setting and once a month for tournaments. This week we showed the Belles the inner workings of a range of machines (original MM, AFM remake, and Harlem) to show how the mechanics have changed over time.

C936DFE0-769C-4947-9C1A-B5CEC2C8FDA2.thumb.jpg.de3a5942556e0f91e97aea1bcf89ddf2.jpg

Ground Kontrol to Major CAGIT

Well, last night the weekly Flip City competition was at Ground Kontrol. Now, i have a vague recollection of coming to Portland to visit some friends briefly over a decade ago and finding a quite bare huge room full of arcade and pinball games, with a little window to get canned beverages, which iirc included beer. Now, i don't drink beer, but it was still quite exciting to find a proto-barcade at that stage in my life, having never experienced anything similar. The current Ground Kontrol has certainly leveled up from that time. It's always quite noisy and hectic in there, and crowded and busy, so i didn't take any inside pics. And i am not that thrilled with the photos i did take last night, but here they are anyway (one with and one without flash, attempting to get both the title of the trophy and the GK signs legible). I am much more pleased with my 3rd place finish! :cool:

CAGITgk1.thumb.jpg.47efc14e2fae09da9a52051b5e142b4f.jpgCAGITgk.thumb.jpg.e95b54e685d27f5d4897a4c5407f0309.jpg

Edited by adania
forgot to update the title!

• 2 weeks later...

CAGIT on the road!

It's been a busy week for CAGIT adventures! First, it joined us for our women's tournament at Bottles here in Portland. The venue double booked us with karaoke, so I very nearly used the blue putty holding the trophy together to fashion some earplugs. We survived, I managed to take first, and @adania came in second!

IMG_2429.thumb.jpg.8e8dd1cd1c72dac46ac082ebff7f57b3.jpg

The following morning, CAGIT and I hopped in the car for a roadtrip to Seattle. First stop was Olaf's, one of my favorite spots in the popular Ballard neighborhood (close to the Kangaroo and Kiwi Pub). The entryway to the pinball room is not for the faint of heart (but is one of my favorite ever things), so shield those virgin eyes. (Yes, you rub the entry for good luck. Or at least I do...)

Vag.thumb.jpg.22b8bb97ce55b93d71e5deded4d53c90.jpg

While playing, there was a bit of a meltdown: https://media.giphy.com/media/8PBe3BzPpk5lM32Wqe/giphy.gif

In the ladies' room we found CAGIT's broken-eared spirit animal:

Bunny.thumb.jpg.20b989052a243bdb02a9b0d6744219e5.jpg

Next up was a quick stop at Full Tilt for ube ice cream on the way to my favorite spot in Seattle, Flip Flip Ding Ding, for their weekly three strike comp.

FT.thumb.jpg.d23f83f6b2bf2f2f7a5a6d40d810cf68.jpg Fleeps.thumb.jpg.05d9c2728cf164a7df6f6f480eae9cc8.jpg

Saturday was Seattle Pinball League, my reason for this particular trip. This is a monthly home league rotating to a new private collection each meet. Timm's collection had some wonderful and unusual titles, plus CAGIT made some new friends.

GG.thumb.jpg.9cbec02d2d59858474ef25846ada3654.jpg

More Seattle adventures in store this weekend!

• 3 weeks later...

CAGIT meets Patty Hearse for a Pizza Party!

Hi guys! Still here? Sorry for the brief hiatus. I had a work trip to China that interfered with my CAGIT tour duties for a week.

But since then, CAGIT and i have been busy! We went to Michigan for a few days, and had lots of fun. I'll draw things out with a few posts so you can savor the experience.

First off, CAGIT took a ride in my friend's new-old pinvehicle: "Patty Hearse." She is an excellent pin-hauler, although we only needed to fit two Spooky games on this trip, my friend is confident he could fit a third in there with a bit of effort (possibly depending on era of machine...).

You may be aware that Dominoes Pizza has its HQ on the outskirts of my hometown, and we got to go borrow their very own Dominoes Pinball machine for the event CAGIT and i were attending. As my friend described this machine, it is "pinball for pizza people, not pizza pinball for pinball people." If you ever have a chance to play it, it's basically America's Most Haunted, with a pizza theme. It does have one cool mode, i think it's called "handle the rush" which is a no-hold flippers multiball. And yes, Dominoes does have a whole heck of a lot of American flags out front. The other flags visible include the State of Michigan, the University of Michigan, and one for some health organization, as well as a couple others.

CAGIT-d01.thumb.jpg.c124b4838471027048e11daf2ba92f0c.jpg CAGIT-d02.thumb.jpg.43fe2be0fa81ccbe1f5a2fc2bdbdddc5.jpg

After Dominoes we stopped by the home of one of their employees to borrow his TNA for the show. Loaded with the two Spooky machines, it was time to head over to the Ann Arbor Pinball Museum Vintage Flipper World's annual open weekend...stay tuned for more photos of CAGIT's Michigan visit, including a trial run of a temporary new topper!

CAGIT and my Shadow, strolling down the Avenue...

Our next stop was the basement dwelling of my very own Shadow! It's beautiful and shiny and clean and in spectacular condition, and i love the Aurich backglass, and i have even been promised a color DMD for it as a rental payment for allowing it to stay there at my friend's. But it lives in Michigan, and i reside on the other side of the country, too far from it. This was my first date with it and my first time playing in awareness of the secret laugh mode! Anyone for Peking Duck? My Shadow is in genteel company with a row of EMs hanging out on the other side of the room: Target Alpha, Royal Flush (technically my first pin, but my friend paid me back the next day for spotting him the cash, so i only owned it overnight), Jumping Jack, Far Out... and a few arcade games as well, including a Robotron (which is my friend's beloved).

In this photo you can see the first trial run of a new topper for CAGIT, gleaned from among my friend's parts drawers. What do you think of the red pop bumper covers? I was considering sandwiching the old topper between them, but i also really like how the light shines through... still on the lookout for a fun trophy-top or hood ornament, but have not encountered the right thing yet. He offered me a couple of old flippers and a burned out coil as an option too, but those were heavy, awkward, and unattractive.

CAGITshadow.thumb.jpg.58c757a93e1c3c717c8b0ed40d42898f.jpg

Come back tomorrow for pictures from day one of the Ann Arbor Pinball Museum's Annual VFW Showcase!

CAGIT at the VFW part 1: chainmail and minibikes!

I didn't really get any pictures on day one, because we were busy helping set stuff up, and then i was playing all morning (somewhat poorly) in the EM tournament. It was great fun to play all sorts of weird old games though. The Wiggler was one that was a lot more fun than i expected, and Flip Flop was another that i played for the first time that day and quite enjoyed. The event went really well this year, beginning with 410 different WORKING machines, and ending the event with 410 different WORKING machines. The weather was great and everyone was in a good mood, and we all had a blast. The host even forgot to ban kids in the announcement and ticket sales pages this year, so it was even more family friendly than before.

Today's pictures are just external shots; we'll go inside tomorrow.

You can see some of the games offered for sale by attendees, and a couple of the amusing door signs. They have other similarly kidding signs both inside and outside various rooms and buildings at the compound. The host collects minibikes as well as pinball, and kept threatening to do a run of the bikes to a minibike parade happening the same weekend in a town not so far away. In the end, he and a couple of the other club members just kept chasing each other around the parking lot and up and down the dirt road out front. CAGIT tried to take a ride too, but it has no arms to steer...

VFWminibikes.thumb.jpg.a2c71519fdec44cbd5f3aa406c13633a.jpg VFWchainmail.thumb.jpg.535676c96e4918b51d263ccbb5f34e48.jpg

Do you like my chainmail? I made it with can pulltabs (mostly coke, and the green ones were Heineken and the blue ones Labatt's) and obsolete ram sticks, held together with a bag of steel butt rings (haha butts!) from a fishing supply store. I hung the skirt-apron from a cheap belt that has grommets all the way around it, hooking it on with a bag of keychains i bought from a craft store. There are a few washers and some wire involved too. It's held up surprisingly well, given it's about old enough to vote in the US now! (I made it mostly during lectures in university.) It works really well to deter gropers, and makes a lovely jingle when i dance around, although it does make it hard to sneak up on anyone. BTW, i found it hilarious how many people fail to recognize me once i put on my chainmail. Even without the blue hair this time, i had a few people re-introduce themselves to me whom i'd just me the day before!

Hahaha Very clever and a great way to recycle for the chain mail. I'd say a more then appropriate out fit for you while traveling around in a Hurst some what goth looking. CAGIT is getting in some great sight seeing. Staying tuned for the next update. Great work Esther @adania

Sent from my SM-T800 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Edited by Silver Surfer

CAGIT at the VFW part 2: the Lost Designs of Harry Williams

How was your weekend? Terribly boring without any more CAGIT pics, i'm sure!

There are three main areas at Vintage Flipper World, with one room featuring some of the oldest games, 1 and 2 player EMs and an assortment of other interesting old coin-op games. A separate outbuilding houses all the Zaccarias and many of the other SS games and more of the overflow EMs. In the main building are all the most common and contemporary titles, including all your favorites, many with color DMDs or other fun mods, and even featuring one of the only working Heighway Aliens! They also have a couple of the head-to-head pinball machines, some ballbowlers and woodrails, and so much more. For a full list of their resident games, see here: http://vfwpinball.com/?page_id=244

For today's pictures, i have a couple unique prototypes to show you. Their background story is quite interesting: http://backglass.org/williams/tlpdohw/expo2016/

VFWtyphoon.thumb.jpg.050ab05ee7a44c8167a2e655d25849f8.jpg VFWfirefly.thumb.jpg.040287e997b024b3a4cc4bda160e29a0.jpg

I believe my first photo stars the very Typhoon whitewood featured in that expo presentation. And that my other photo features his next attempt at reviving one of the Lost Playfield Drawings of Harry Williams, Firefly. He was so generous in sending Firefly to the showcase this year, since he was unable to attend himself this year, but posted to the event thread on Pinside to see if anyone driving to the the showcase from Chicago had room to pick it up and bring it. My friend helped set it up, with only a bit of confusion as no one was sure exactly the right way to, with so many unique features in the design! In the end, they had to deactivate some (or was it all) of the magnets, to prevent the game damaging itself, but it was still really fun to play. We were amazed and touched that he trusted the community enough to send us this precious project to enjoy for the weekend! As far as I know, it did get home again safely.

In the photo of Typhoon, you can also see a slice (sorry just the slice, but the door to the next area opened directly to the side of this game, so i was unable to line up a better shot due to heavy traffic, and besides it was too dark for anything interesting to show up in a photo anyway) of a very dark game next to it, "Chief Bank-a-Flip Galactic Poker Dice," which is not in fact a Time Warp, in spite of what you see in the reflection. Although it has a super awkward name and zero art, i found it pretty fun. It has a second pair of flippers towards the top of the playfield, to target the huge block of ranked drop targets at the top, which, combined with the bleepety bloopety sounds, evoked Space Invaders to my mind. There was a cute kicker scoop instead of a left outlane too, which brought the ball back to your lower flippers most of the time. The whole playfield was just shiny black, but it had a weird little trapdoor that popped up at one point if you got the ball up below the back of the playfield somehow. No IPDB listing, but i found a description of it in a podcast (i never listen to those things, but anyway...) blurb: http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/past.php Scroll down to Episode 58 for a few sentences about this interesting one.

Sharing the small, but exciting, antechamber of guest machines with Firefly were several other fun machines. A Defender in great shape brought by an attendee to share with everyone, the two Spooky machines we had ferried over in Patty Hearse, and a brand new Iron Maiden, a Houdini, and a prototype JJP POTC (i have decided to call it Captain Jack Sparrow to differentiate from the Stern more easily) with the hyped and abandoned triple spinning disc, brought by a local distributor to show off and (presumably) spark some orders. I enjoyed playing Captain Jack Sparrow and agree that doing away with that triple disc was probably a good choice, as it added very little to gameplay, especially with all the other fun exciting stuff going on. I can see how it would have ended up being a real pain to service if it could even line up the awards promptly and accurately in the first place. But lots of interesting shots and the rocking boat as a miniplayfield is quite fun!

CAGIT at the VFW part 3: Final

For day 3 of the VFW Showcase, an old friend of mine came out to play along with her teenage daughter and her husband. Husband literally vanished within moments of them entering the main room, only to resurface hours later as we were taking a break on the picnic tables between the buildings. We asked which room he liked best, and discovered that he had not even made it into the Zaccaria/SS building at all yet, where he immediately headed until it was time to kick us all out for the year. I'm so glad i finally got a chance to check out this event, and am looking forward to it again. If anyone is interested in making a trip to Michigan for it, there are a few other fun pinball locations in the state, and it's not super far across the Lake to Spooky as well as Chicago fun. Tickets to the showcase went on sale in January this year, and sold out within a few weeks, but some last minute tickets also became available through word of mouth and online transfers. This year children were apparently permitted, and it was great to see those eager little faces running around, even though there was more need to plunge out abandoned games than when they are kept away.

VFWmain.thumb.jpg.fa00a34f49f9d02ad37d357b57e0bf8f.jpgVFWseawitch.thumb.jpg.0c4fd68381351ae280c14f27c19f7555.jpg

One thing i could not resist before leaving was staging a Seawitch playing Seawitch shot in my wonderful Belles & Chimes hoodie. I hope you enjoyed coming along on my Vintage Flipper World Ann Arbor Pinball Museum Showcase 2018 trip as much as i did!

Next up may be one of CAGIT's last Portland events... where oh where will it go next??

The CAGIT and the Tiger

For our last dance together in Portland (for now?) CAGIT and i and my league team POP battled the Tiger Balls at their home bar of Hungry Tiger, in the semifinals of the Spring League season. We were defeated, although we gave them a tough fight. My team will be playing for 3rd/4th this weekend, while I come to sunny Queensland for lots of PINBALL!

CAGITtiger.thumb.jpg.c7d3f4883c8480975d2ff0221f67086f.jpg

(I just arrived but wanted to post this photo before I forgot. See some of yous very soon!!)

• 3 weeks later...

Look what has turned up at Alligator Creek near Townsville! Just in time for the North Queensland Tropical Winter Pinball Carnival next weekend. 02c33ec3e4035e8a3e5a8719889ef0cc.jpg

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
No one took it from my Houseball so it still remains in my possession.

030562841d74995bd8d3d344078cdff8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bring it to Masters? I see a trip to Pinburgh in its future...