Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Alvin G. & Co - Al's Garage Band goes on a World Tour

Started having a proper look at AGBGOAWT today. The first major issue seems to be power supply related - resets of the machine and the sound board dropping out so the music stops. Managed to record both earlier today: https://clips.twitch.tv/OilyPopularJayNomNom

First stop the wiring diagram to see what's common between the sound board and the MPU:

cabinetwiring.thumb.jpg.3ba69a43bce3d96c75ab0479ebd5fc59.jpg

So the MPU uses 20vdc and 5vdc, the sound board uses 12vdc and 5vdc. Let's have a look at the 5vdc side of things.

On the PSU, I get 5.2v at PP2 on the orange/blue to black. On the MPU, that drops to 4.9v and occasionally 4.8v. When it's at 4.8v, right flipper or the auto plunge will cause a reset. Similar levels to the MPU on the sound board.

So looking at the schematic:

powersuply.thumb.jpg.bc20b4855ce1ab36e009500927554465.jpg

I checked the input to the 5v circuit and it's a shade over 9vac. There's a pot (VR2) to adjust the output of the 5v circuit. Turns out clockwise decreases the output voltage, anti-clockwise increases it. Dialed it up to 5.4v when unloaded and the game no longer resets.

Played for a little while this evening and I'm still occasionally having issues with the sound dropping out, but the MPU is not resetting so that's good. The regulator is quite hot though, like burn my fingers hot, so I guess I really need to do some replacements on the PSU.

Things still to look at:

• Garbled DMD for some modes, animations
  • Sound drop outs
  • PSU maintenance
  • Hum that can be fixed by tapping the cabinet - something is loose
  • Left bump button doesn't seem to fire
  • Right bump button clashes with autoplunge coil
  • Flippers need rebuilding
  • Insert GI Isn't working.

Alvin G formally Gottlieb, check all your grounds...Double up on them as a form of fault finding rather than disturbing what is there. If the problems go you know where to start looking.

Pretty sure the 5 volt reg is the cheaper adjustable type used on Alvin Gs so it might be worthy of swapping but a bad earth with cause a reg to get hot as well which is worthy of noting.

The reg should never get that hot. They do have thermal protection to shutdown if they run to hot and this will kill the 5volt till the heat drops off before resetting itself.

Pretty sure the 5 volt reg is the cheaper adjustable type used on Alvin Gs so it might be worthy of swapping but a bad earth with cause a reg to get hot as well which is worthy of noting.

Bad earth or bad ground?

That reminds me, another for the list:

• Garbled DMD for some modes, animations
  • Sound drop outs
  • PSU maintenance
  • Hum that can be fixed by tapping the cabinet - something is loose
  • Left bump button doesn't seem to fire
  • Right bump button clashes with autoplunge coil
  • Flippers need rebuilding
  • Insert GI Isn't working.
  • Replace line cord

The line cord has a 3 pin molex in it. Any thoughts on replacing like for like or removing it? I guess the pro is that it will disconnect if someone trips over the cord, but the con is that it adds another point of resistance and potential failure?

Ground to each of the boards I meant. A hum that is fixed by hitting the cab certainly points that way too.

Line cord change it. Wires will rip out of the Molex if you trip on the cord it and far to much chance the frayed ends of the mains line will short out before the line fuse.

Ground to each of the boards I meant. A hum that is fixed by hitting the cab certainly points that way too.

Half only have 2 screws holding them for a start. :-/

There definitely something off in the ground wiring - the menu and exit/service credit button intermittently stop responding. Pressing on the connectors on the PSU seems to fix that.

Line cord change it. Wires will rip out of the Molex if you trip on the cord it and far to much chance the frayed ends of the mains line will short out before the line fuse.

Cool. I figured the molex to make it more convenient to assemble at the factory and less useful to me. An IEC socket would've been a better option, but would've cost more too. New line cord on the list, and I'll bring it all the way through to the filter.

Exciting - following this. I got offered a garage band four years ago and regret not trying it out. What an awesome and weird machine :D
The music is great, and somewhat surprisingly the stereo is actually noticeable.

Started looking at the panel GI tonight. As per the cabinet diagram above, there's two feeds from the PSU that head to the insert. PP1 pins 15 and 16 @ +5VAC. The PSU schematic says those are supplied by F10 @ 6vac.

F10 is blown. It's 7A while the board say 7.5A and the schematic says 8 so maybe it was just under fused.

IMG_20180518_204253.thumb.jpg.844aa6136f3bc9697560506006e9c7e5.jpg

Unplugging both halves of PP1, I have continuity between pins 15 and 16 on the connector which doesn't seem right though. It's not the best repair job I've ever seen either:

IMG_20180518_204305.thumb.jpg.1cb7f5566193ee13f38164648005a29d.jpg

Following the wiring I can see why I have continuity. Both white/blue and white/brown go to a single throw relay on the back of the insert.

IMG_20180518_205500.thumb.jpg.a8bbd456d2c429e62b498ab78afbe376.jpg

This seems a bit weird. If either connection fails at the PSU, the other will pull all the load (8A)?

Went through the insert's GI wiring and couldn't find anything amiss. Pulled all the GI bulbs in the insert. Moved the playfield GI's 8A fuse to F10. Turned on. Tested each socket. Seems ok. May really have just been under fused. Which might be why the backglass looks as nice as it does.

There were also a couple of controlled lights out on the insert. LA and Chicago.

LA has a loose wire that need soldering.

Chicago looked ok. Tested the globe. Had voltage at the wires while flashing but not at the tip. Checked the diode and it's failed open. Clipped another diode in parallel with the other and it works fine. Will do some soldering tomorrow morning to fix those two sockets.

New diode and soldering grey/black back onto the other socket fixed up the last of the insert globes that weren't working.

Next, onto the playfield lights. 7 of 8 lights on the red/black row don't light. First thought is that there's a break in the daisy chain. Lift the playfield and the light that works is a standalone socket, the other 7 are on a board. Continuity from the standalone to the board's connector is ok but from the connector to the board itself is nada. Pull the board.

IMG_20180519_134130.thumb.jpg.0490584c6cea5b9126e5a091cbb1e2e5.jpg

Reflow the bottom/common pin. That all works now.

Adjusted a few of those crappy black sockets that hold 555 globes. Replaced a few globes in general.

Replaced a diode on the Left Tour lamp.

That's all the issues with the playfield controlled lamps sorted.

Today I started looking at the flippers, the right in particular seems sloppy and weak.

Left mech:

IMG_20180521_120332.thumb.jpg.830583e694aca0e47e924dd99a7c5b3e.jpg

Right mech:

IMG_20180521_120300.thumb.jpg.b005b569c009793f05d8c08e03ed4e03.jpg

The pawl/link interface has a lot of play:

IMG_20180521_120317.thumb.jpg.ced53593d6ed3fb5777edc5c06b373ab.jpg

It's missing the bushing:

agbgoawt-054.thumb.jpg.c378f20050e08b71e4941e9b555b76ee.jpg agbgoawt-055.thumb.jpg.07cdb56d79136233779ebe6b2b322fe0.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The mechs look like a combination of everything that was around at the time. The bats are one piece like Williams, but the shafts art 3/8" like Gottlieb System 80. The pawl looks like Gottlieb System 3 with a bigger hole for the 3/8" shaft and the plunger and link in the manual look System 3 too. The ones in the machine look more like Williams thin link plungers (A-10656). The base plate has a bigger footprint than the System 80 one I've got on hand, about 6" long vs 5.5".

http://www.pbresource.com/rebuildk/kt-gflip-03amfa.jpg

http://www.pbresource.com/rebuildk/kt-gflip-04fa.jpg

First step would be to replace that bushing at least I guess. Popped a plunger an link out of a Williams rebuild kit I had sitting here. The plunger is the same, but the link is the newer style a touch fatter (.2" vs .15"). Likewise the bushing (02-4676) is the right ID and OD, but unfortunately a little tall. Wondering is I could just file 1/4 of the height off the bushing which would solve my immediate issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Link:

IMG_20180521_123230.thumb.jpg.9c5b0e6e18e86cd5f0cfab3f73dac68c.jpg

Side by side with a thick Williams:

IMG_20180521_132928.thumb.jpg.347cd6f3b345094dc9aecc1780a849e6.jpg

Pawls:

1195495708_IMG_20180521_123306(1).thumb.jpg.823c16192137e51e62cf2fafe78e438f.jpg

1089946529_IMG_20180521_123345(1).thumb.jpg.dd4b860960e804a4ddd31b1b7ec719a7.jpg

Shorter bushing:

IMG_20180521_133846.thumb.jpg.53861c3256fc2abc715607fd661bbce3.jpg

IMG_20180521_133931.thumb.jpg.72ef732f1260ccb4c25541515d0ed504.jpg

IMG_20180521_133904.thumb.jpg.bfb34eaf496c5b885e8cb7ff77ee7b12.jpg

Swap the pawl for the Williams style as well and you should be good to go.

You'll need to sort out the EOS but it is damm close anyway.

The pin and bush used on Gottlieb for the EOS is a better idea but the pin comes loose and finally falls out so probably best to go Williams pawl straight off the bat.

Swap the pawl for the Williams style as well and you should be good to go.

You'll need to sort out the EOS but it is damm close anyway.

The pin and bush used on Gottlieb for the EOS is a better idea but the pin comes loose and finally falls out so probably best to go Williams pawl straight off the bat.

Can you get a Williams pawl on to a 3/8" shaft?

Can you get a Williams pawl on to a 3/8" shaft?

Only if you drill it out like the Gottlieb system 3 flipper bushes would have had to of been to get system 1 flippers to fit with the larger 3/8" shafts.

Maybe change the drilled out flipper bushed to system 3 non drilled out bushers and that way you can use normal flipper bats and shafts?

Only if you drill it out like the Gottlieb system 3 flipper bushes would have had to of been to get system 1 flippers to fit with the larger 3/8" shafts.

Maybe change the drilled out flipper bushed to system 3 non drilled out bushers and that way you can use normal flipper bats and shafts?

It's Alvin G and Co. They have their own flipper bushes that are 3/8".

I am starting to think it might be far simpler to replace the whole shebang with Williams units.

It's Alvin G and Co. They have their own flipper bushes that are 3/8".

I am starting to think it might be far simpler to replace the whole shebang with Williams units.

Ow that is by far the best idea I think but I didn't think you would like to hear that.

The parts are cheap, the parts are easy to get and the parts are the best.;)

Ow that is by far the best idea I think but I didn't think you would like to hear that.

The parts are cheap, the parts are easy to get and the parts are the best.;)

While I'd really like to keep it as original as possible, I try to be pragmatic about these things. For a start is already got Williams parts in there and secondly NOS parts are going to become more difficult to source. I've filed down a bush tonight to get the machine running again, but longer term I might have to reevaluate.

I also fixed up the bump button relays tonight so that works now too.

The left one the wire form was trapped in the spring.

IMG_20180521_212058.thumb.jpeg.5f7d02927c0cac68bcd3ce362f6164fe.jpeg

IMG_20180521_212112.thumb.jpeg.8a30c114a301591fbc98f21fa8c913e4.jpeg

Freed that and adjusted it a little. The right one needed a little tweaking to not catch on the auto plunge coil.

The left is still weaker than the right, but it's functional at least.

I have some display issues to track down. First up, in the test, the vertical lines work fine. Sometimes the horizontal lines don't completely draw. After the machine has been on for a while, the horizontals work fine too. Makes me think the HV side of the PSU might need work too?

I also sometimes get crap on the display like this:

1665532171_Screenshotfrom2018-05-2310-52-46.png.2c059bb0a03bc08c889f4722a8deaa69.png

I need to play a bit more with pinmame to see if that particular screen is actually static. It's only for a split second and there are other issues that happen for longer.

Sometimes the display draws like this:

641737182_Screenshotfrom2018-05-2310-53-07.png.4db537b0f49f56f0915160ba2edf0b76.png

Looks complete, but the quadrants aren't in the right places? Driver board?

There's also some screens like this:

2032263060_Screenshotfrom2018-05-2310-53-35.png.c789e31c54f23891ee2524be097f5a55.png

Which will then be followed by this:

1927127293_Screenshotfrom2018-05-2310-54-02.png.25f5cd3c4c1c66e2a1a6dca47f18cdad.png

So the old background is still in place, and shifted slightly, over the top of the animation that should be there?

And here's another glitch, "Lock the gig" is the dispolay that should be showing, Los Angeles graphic should not.

1823008829_Screenshotfrom2018-05-2310-54-40.png.f794447c5bd480cac7dfefb9ec5af8d1.png

Any clues to look for would be appreciated. The DMD itself is a Williams/Cherry unit and the driver board has an additional chip that looks a bit weird?

[ATTACH]129808[/ATTACH]

Edited by ajfclark

So I had a close look at the extra chip on the display driver today.

There's a cut trace on the board between U1:8/U3:16 and U2:11. It's denoted XTAL2 on the schematic. The board with the IN and OUT pins has been logically inserted between those two point, bridging the now cut trace. I buzzed out the circuit and drew up a rough schematic:

weird-ic-on-display-driver.thumb.jpg.ae19168673c5ee24bc7eeb663d44da34.jpg

The left two 74ls74 are the two on the little sub board. They both take !Q as data into the flipflop, so I gather Q alternates each cycle. Being 2 of them in succession, they don't have any effect on the output signal other than increasing the delay? Is that right?

Today I wrote a little perl script to take the romdef image and spit out something readable:

#!/usr/bin/perl

$/=\16;
$i=0;

while (<>) {
$line = sprintf("%v08b\n", $_);
$line =~ s/\.//g;
$line =~ s/1/\./g;
$line =~ s/0/ /g;
print "$line";

$i++;
if($i == 32) {
	$i=0;
	print "\n";
}
}

This provides some pretty simple output, but a lot of the images from the game are recognisable:

[font=Courier New][size=1]
            ...........     ..........  .................  ..................  .........       ............                    
             .        .     .       .    .              .  .                .   .      .        .        .                     
          ........... .   ..........  .................  .................. .......... ..    ............                      
           ..........  .  .........    ................  .................. . ........  .     ..........                       
            .........  .  .........     ...............  .................. .  ........ .      .........                       
             .........  ......... .     .......   .....  ..... ....... .... .   ....... ..      ...... .                       
             .........   ........ .     .......    ....  ....  ...... .......   .......  .      ...... .                       
             .......... ......... .     ..... .    ....  ...   ...... . ... .   ........ .      ...... .                       
             .................... .     ..... .    . ..  ..    ...... .  ..    ......... .      ...... .                       
             .................... .     ..... ......  .  .     ...... .   .    ......... ..     ...... .                       
             .................... .     .....   .. .           ...... .        .........  .     ...... .                       
             .................... .     .......... .           ...... .       ........... .     ...... .                       
             .................... .     ............           ...... .       ........... ..    ...... .                       
             .................... .     .......... .           ...... .       .... . ....  .    ...... .                       
             ..... ....... ...... .     ..... . ..             ...... .       .... ....... .    ...... .       .               
             ..... ....... ...... .     ..... .  .      .      ...... .       ....   .....  .   ...... .     . .               
             ..... ...... ....... .     ..... .       . .      ...... .       ............  .   ...... .    .. .               
             ..... ...... ....... .     ..... .      .. .      ...... .      .............. .   ...... .   ... .               
             ..... ...... ....... .     ..... .     ... .      ...... .      .............. .   ...... .  .... .               
             ..... . ... ........ .     ..... ......... .      ...... .      .............. ..  ...... ....... .               
             ..... . ... . ...... .     .....     ..... .      ...... .      .... .    ....  .  ......  ...... .               
             ..... ..   .. ...... ..    ............... .      ...... ..    ..... .    ..... .  .............. .               
             .....  ..     ......  ..   ............... .      ......  ..   ..... ...  ..... .. .............. .               
            ...........   ............  .................     ............  .........  ........ ................               
           .........     ..........    ................      ..........    ........   .......   ..............                 
          ...........   ............  .................     ............  .......... .........  ..............                 
[/size][/font]

...........    .........     ........      .......  ..........    ...   .  ............. .............. ...........        
     .        .    .      .    ...      ...     ..   .   ..    ..   ..    . . .            .  .           .  .        ...      
  ........... .. .........   ..........   .......... ...........   .....  .  ............. .............. ...........    .     
   ..........  . ........   .............   ........  .........   .........  ............. .............. .............   .    
    .......... .........   ................  . ...... .........  ..........  ............... ............ . ............   .   
     .........  ........  .................. ........  . .... . ...........  ............. .  .............  ............  .   
      ................ . .......      ......  ........ ...... ......    ...  ..  ..... ...    .... .  ... .  .... .  ..... .   
      ................ . ......          .... ........  ..... .....  .   ..  .   ..... . .    .... . . ..    .... .   .... .   
      ................ .......           ....  ........  .... .....  ...  .      ..... .      .... ... ..    .... .........    
      ................ .......           ..... ......... .... . ....    .        ..... .      .... ... .     ....    .....     
      ................ ..... .            .... .............. . ........    .    ..... .      ........ .     ............      
      .... ........... ..... .            .... .............. .  .........   .   ..... .      ...........    ............      
      .... ........... ..... .            .... ..... ........ .    ........  .   ..... .      ........     . .........  .      
      .... ...... .... ..... .            .......... ........ .  .   .......  .  ..... .      .... ...    .. ..........  .     
      .... ...... .... ..... ..           .......... ........    ..     ....  .  ..... .      .... .     . . ..... .....  .    
      .... . ..   .... .....  ..         ........... ........ ..   .     .... .  ..... .      .... .    .. . ..... .....  .    
      .... . ..   .... ......  ..        ........... . ...... ...   .    .... .  ..... .      .... ....... . ..... . ....  .   
      .... .      .... .......  ...   ........ ..... .  ..... ....   ..  .... .  ..... .      ....    .... . ..... . ....   .  
      .... .      .... . ......   ...........  ..... .   .... .....    . .....   ..... .      ............ . .....    ....   . 
      .... ..     .... . ........   ........   ..... .   .... .......   .....    ..... .      ............ . ..... .  .....  . 
      ....   .    ....  . .................    ..... ..   ... ..............     ..... ..     ............ . ..... ..  .....  .
     ..........  .........................     .........  ... ... .........      .........   ............... ......... ........
    ........    ........     ...........      .......      ..  .  ........      .......     ..............  .......   .......  
   ..........  ..........      .......       .........      .       ....       .........   ............... ......... ......... 

[/size][/font]

So that's interesting. I flicked through the romdef1 file and everything recognisable in there works.

romdef2 however has lots of images where I see the display issues. Firstup is the FEEDBACK screen which always garbles to the point you can't read it:

..   ..........         ................               ........               .......... ..                  .......    
      ..  . ......            ................ .             .........                  ......  .             ..    ......     
         .. ...     ....     ................ .   ..      .  .......   ...         . ..  ..... ..     .      ...   ...    .    
        ... .   .......     ................    ....    .. ........  ............    ...  .... .  .....      ...  ..   ..      
      .....   ..... ..            ..          .... .    . .......   ...   ...............   .    ......     .....    ....      
     ...... ....   ..............    ...........   ....   ......  ...           .... . ....    ...    .    ..  ...  .....      
    ...  ....     .....       ................      .....  ...   ...             .   .  ........      ... ...   ..  .....      
   ...   .       ....       .....     .... .       .......  .  ...               .   .     ....         ....    .. .. ..       
  ...           ....      ....        ....             ....   ...                .   .      ...          ...    ....  ..       
 ...           ....      .  ..       .. ..              .... ...  ..             .  .       ..            .     ...   ..       
...           ....      ..  ..      .. . ..              ...   .....     ....    ....      ..             .      .   ..        
.......      ... ..     ..   .      .. .. ...     ....     .. .    ..     ..      ..        .       .........     .   ..        
......      ...  .     ..    .     ...     ..    .....     .. ..  ..      .       ..        .      ..........        ...        
  ...      ..  ..     ..   ..     ..........    .....     .. .. ..              ...       ..     ...     ...      ....         
.  ..       .. ..     ........         .....    ......     .. .  ..              ..        ..     ...     ..      ....          
. ....     ......          ....       ..  ..     ....    ....   ..             ....    .   ...    ....    ..      .... .        
. .....       ...         .....      ..   .      ...    ....   .              .....    .    ..     ....  ..       ...  .        
.   ..        ....      ... ..      ..    .      ...    ..   . ....    ....    ...    ..     .      ..   ..       ...  .        
..  .       .....      ...  ..     ..     ...   ...     .  ...   ..    ...     ...    ..     .      ..   ..        ...          
.. ..     ... ...     ...   ..    ..       ..   ..     .. ...    .     .       ..            .     ..    ...        ...         
.  .     ..   ..     ....   ..    ..       .    .      .. ...   ..             ..            .     ..  ....    .     ..         
. ..    ...  ...       ...  .      ...    .           ..  .. .  .              ..           ..     ..   ...   ...    ..         
. ..      .  ..         .....        ..  ..          ... ...    .             ...           ..      ......   ....    ..         
. ..     .. ...          ...          .. .      ..   ..  ..   ...             ...           ...        . .  .. ..    ..         
. ..    ..  ..          ....           ...     .......  ...   ..       ...   ....  .....    ....         ....   .    ..         
. ..   ..   ..   ..    ....    ..   .....   .........  ....  ..    .............  ........  .  ....     ....  . ...  ..         
. .   ..   ..  ....   .....   ...  ..  .......   ...  ..... .........     ..  .  ...    ... .     .......... ..   ......        
 .  ..    ......... .....  ........    ...    . ..  .....  .  ..     ...     .  .        ...          . .   ....   ....        
.. ...   ....    ....  ...........   .     ....    ......        ........... ....         ..         .     .......  ...        
.  ..    .    .. ...    ..     ..    ...................      .............. . .           .         ..............            
. ..       ..... ..  ..    ...      ....................      ..............   .                    ...............            
...  ..   ...... .  ...........     .....................     ..................                   ................     
[/size][/font]

If I overlay the same portion of the romdef1, it looks a lot like the garbled snow that appears.

This makes me wonder if the portion of the circuit that selects between the two ROMs isn't working properly?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]130441[/ATTACH]

- - - Updated - - -

I hacked my script up a little further to actually write out images:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use Image::Magick;

$/=\16;

$y=0;
$width=2048;
$height=1024;

$image = Image::Magick->new(size=>"${width}x${height}");
$image->ReadImage('xc:white');

while (<>) {
$line = sprintf("%v08b\n", $_);
$line =~ s/\.//g;

@char = split("", $line);
for($x = 0; $x < 128; $x++) {
	if($char[$x] == '1') {
		$imgy = $y % $height;
		$imgx = $x + (int($y / $height)) * 128;

$image->Set("pixel[$imgx,$imgy]"=>'black');
	}
}

$y++;
}

$image->Write(filename=>"image.png");

I then generated a couple of images, one from romdef1 and the other from romdef2:

romdef1.thumb.jpg.c2dadfbffe35dfdd9dadc7444921c3ea.jpg romdef2.thumb.jpg.664f831e97540eb458f34c6621563dd0.jpg

If I flick between the two images, I can see the ones that garble seem to overlay between the two files pretty consistently.

1766337980_Screenshotfrom2018-05-3009-49-38.thumb.png.4f8780cf2ca5733643aaeca745797a31.png

This video shows most of the glitches that are easy to repeat (I forgot Feedback).

Starting with Super Skins, the Trippin' Targets, Rockin' Ramps and Lightin' Loops and then the Record a Song shot in the centre:

eg. 3:50 in drop the ball in the centre shot. The DMD shows a few (4?) frames of reel to reel, then a bunch of static. Looking at the images above, there's 4 frames of the reel to reel on the 1st ROM in the 12 column, then the rest is on the 2nd rom in the 8/9th column. Looking at the first rom, the 8/9th column is static and then "Let's RockDude", exactly what appears on the display.

The other 4 modes seem to be similar, the animation is all or mostly on the 2nd ROM, but never seen.

So that makes me think it really is just pulling correct address from the wrong ROM, or that the ROM itself has garbage on it/is another copy of the first ROM.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

Edited by ajfclark

I had an epiphany.

I fired up Visual Pinball and tried a few things like swapping the romdef files around. Duplicating the first one in both positions results in the symptoms I'm seeing. Swaping them was similar, but different, but worked enough that I decided to try swapping the romdef chips.

Well, all the animations that worked now don't. All the animations that didn't do.

I guess that validates that the roms are both working and at least close to the right data. Also appears to support the idea that the selection between ROMs isn't working for some reason.