Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

AUSTRALIAN Coke Vendo 56 Square-Top Machine

I keep thinking about the ex-coke employee who had a coke museum who then sold his collection of machines to another collector who opened another coke museum at Port Adelaide. There is now way Coke didn't know about the existence of these machines.

Apparently the auction catalog when the Port Adelaide museum sold up is available for viewing at the National Library. I am seriously going and having a look at it, see what types of machines they had.

EDIT: Not state library, National Library.

I found some old pics of the Coke Auction catologue I once had. These are the only pics I have. The Vendo 56 can be seen on the back of the catalogue. Their is even a Coke yo yo for sale with a Coke managers name engraved on it.

Mal, the Coke employee that had the first museum with most of the stuff pictured here, had many items that would be property of Coke that were ultimately sold at this Auction as seen in the pics here, like old Coke kegs (or whatever they are called), fountain dispensers ect, there were many other items as well that would have been Coke's property.

84572274_cokecatalogue1.thumb.jpg.733aa2113876eee20968f0206ff99654.jpgcokecatalogue2.thumb.jpg.c9a9c1cf3130d09cfea81f3e7069301d.jpgcokecatalogue6.thumb.jpg.e505ec1e5cee120d00fe08f799a72dcc.jpg2022278354_cokecatalogue5-Copy.thumb.jpg.4e4199f674b59b848e6fedc578496276.jpgcokecatalogue4.thumb.jpg.065d95fe0ba4ccdbb82d1f922a3f5b10.jpgcokecatalogue9.thumb.jpg.c6b73dcd11d22608a874ea31ae069589.jpgcokecatalogue7.thumb.jpg.46f235f4e3b68da654852338e4785caa.jpg1333271123_cokecatalogue8-Copy.thumb.jpg.a602c791b30c17dcb31dd37d00061cbf.jpg

cokecatalogue3.thumb.jpg.4f334d6bdbf61eb077c7fe25dc439c64.jpg

I found some old pics of the Coke Auction catologue I once had. These are the only pics I have. The Vendo 56 can be seen on the back of the catalogue. Their is even a Coke yo yo for sale with a Coke managers name engraved on it.

Mal, the Coke employee that had the first museum with most of the stuff pictured here, had many items that would be property of Coke that were ultimately sold at this Auction as seen in the pics here, like old Coke kegs (or whatever they are called), fountain dispensers ect, there were many other items as well that would have been Coke's property.

Thanks for that richard.m. Was great to see the same exact model as my machine with some different paint work listed. I'm surprised Coke never made a legal play for any of the machines, because I know they keep an eye out when collections like these go up for sale. 7 years ago a family who had been Coke bottlers for 3 generations in Kentucky sold their collection of Coke memorabilia. Apparently it was the biggest collection in the world, and had stuff even Coke didn't have in its own collection.

I love collecting coke stuff so a few years back I was unsuccessfully trying to find a coke machine to add to my collection so I thought why not go straight to the source, so I emailed Coke directly and they emailed me back stating we at Coke have never and will never sell one of our machines to the public.

c1827baf3610f06ce0aec122bdf8f5f2.jpg649448137f10326579c2f6e2c0cf04f5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I just got this email from someone who worked at Coke here in Adeiaide for over 30 yesrs, starting there before Coca Cola Amatil had bought Adeiaide bottlers.

Hi kdog

I would be pretty comfortable in saying that you’ll be perfectly fine if you purchased a 56 or 63. Whilst CCA never publicly sold machines, the Adelaide Bottler (prior to Amatil buying the company) in the late 80s sold quite a few machines to staff (which included the one I had for sale)

There are machines that have been put on eBay etc, that are stolen, but generally these are modern machines (includes vending and open glass fridges). The key thing to remember when buying a machine is that it should no longer have an ‘asset tag’ on the machine. It’s a small metal plate with the CCA name and machine details on it. CCA always removes these tags prior to disposing EQ. They also remove the coin mech, this is done without exception. If the machine you are interested in has a fully working coin mech then it may be suspect (unless they can prove they purchased the mech with receipts). If you’re unsure about a machine you’re interested in, I would suggest that you contact the Adelaide ‘Equipment Services’ department at CCA and provide the serial number, they would be more than happy to check against a master list of stolen machines.

As I said, it would be extremely unlikely that the older pre-80’s machines would be on the stolen list.

I hope that has helped.

Regards

I love collecting coke stuff so a few years back I was unsuccessfully trying to find a coke machine to add to my collection so I thought why not go straight to the source, so I emailed Coke directly and they emailed me back stating we at Coke have never and will never sell one of our machines to the public.

c1827baf3610f06ce0aec122bdf8f5f2.jpg649448137f10326579c2f6e2c0cf04f5.jpg

I've seen plenty of vintage machines in Victoria over the years that I would have given my left kidney for? What sort of machine are you looking for? I have a list of rejected machines I turned down that weren't what I was looking for or were too hard to transport. Shoot me a PM.

EDIT: Hmm, actually a few sold in the last few weeks since I got my own. Not much left. Oh well, always more machines come out every so often. Wish I had the funds to buy more of them, or some of them were local.

Edited by kdog

Hi,

here is a 2nd email from my friend who used to work at Coke before it was CCA until this year:

Hi Kdog

I’m not exactly sure on the Vendo 56. There may have been a time when the coin mech may have been left in (certainly more modern units would not have been on-sold with a mech as they reused them in other machines) as I mentioned in a previous email, the mech may have been purchased from the States. But that is pure speculation and not based on fact. I wouldn’t worry on a machine that old. CCA are more interested in later machines that end up on eBay that have either been stolen or the business closed and the landlord believes that it is part of stock at value in the outlet, and therefore suddenly becomes their property. I think you would be pretty safe with the 56.

The question on glass being removed from vending machines, I would have at a guess late 80’s early 90’s as there were some social and sporting clubs still running early machines, therefore selling glass. Someone in the collectors club would probably know the exact date.

Regards

I love collecting coke stuff so a few years

I sold a huge number of coke stuff after I Sold my shop, allot of the point of sale crap went with the shop as coke owns that, and the stuff I was allowed to keep because they were rewards from points programs and so on so i kept those But I ended up selling a few years ago.

I had boxes full of Coke stuff,

I wish had some to give to you, If i do find some in some old boxes I may have forgot about Ill let you know.

I only have a set of NIB Green Coke Soda Glasses they are the ones for shops to use so bit better than those collector ones coke was giving away a while ago. So not in fancy packaging, just the boring commercial brown box, and a few yoyo's But Im keeping those as i do have afew old coke yoyo's

and the only thing cool left is this, this is genuine coke not china ebay thing.

But if i do find some coke stuff in some old boxes I may have forgotten about Ill let you know, there are a couple of Shop boxes I need to sort through, maybe there will be something in them If lucky, I cant promise but worth me keeping an eye open just incase

coke1.jpg.96ba22feefcc95a5b0b96272d119a9a5.jpg

I sold a huge number of coke stuff after I Sold my shop, allot of the point of sale crap went with the shop, and the stuff I was allowed to keep because they were rewards from points programs and so on so i kept those But I ended up selling a few years ago.

I wish had some to give to you.

I only have a set of NIB Green Coke Soda Glasses they are the ones for shops to use so bit better than those collector ones coke was giving away a while ago. So not in fancy packaging, just the boring commercial brown box.

and the only thing cool left is this, this is genuine coke not china ebay thing

[ATTACH=CONFIG]135412[/ATTACH]

is that a lightbox?

is that a lightbox?

Not really a box, its lit Lettering modern Neon, I had a few old Light boxes that was in my shops shed and they were there well before I bought the shop from the previous owners, I left them behind when I sold my shop 6 years later, as I Wasnt sure of ownership, Some point of sale stuff Is also still coke property and clearly marked as such,

My shop had been around for 30 years before me so it had amassed allot of Point of sale crap over the years. I often pulled some of the old signs and display stuff out and put them on display.

I sold a huge number of coke stuff after I Sold my shop, allot of the point of sale crap went with the shop as coke owns that, and the stuff I was allowed to keep because they were rewards from points programs and so on so i kept those But I ended up selling a few years ago.

I had boxes full of Coke stuff,

I wish had some to give to you, If i do find some in some old boxes I may have forgot about Ill let you know.

I only have a set of NIB Green Coke Soda Glasses they are the ones for shops to use so bit better than those collector ones coke was giving away a while ago. So not in fancy packaging, just the boring commercial brown box, and a few yoyo's But Im keeping those as i do have afew old coke yoyo's

and the only thing cool left is this, this is genuine coke not china ebay thing.

But if i do find some coke stuff in some old boxes I may have forgotten about Ill let you know, there are a couple of Shop boxes I need to sort through, maybe there will be something in them If lucky, I cant promise but worth me keeping an eye open just incase

[ATTACH=CONFIG]135412[/ATTACH]

I don’t know why but I just love the look of coke advertising.

I’m absolutely spewing that I let one of my dream coke wanted collectables slip through my fingers a few years back a coke school crossing cop, at the time I thought it was to expensive but now looking back I have never seen another come up for sale and I think it would have been a bargain.

a650dcfcc1d2c52bdb4182e6b033b678.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know why but I just love the look of coke advertising.

I’m absolutely spewing that I let one of my dream coke wanted collectables slip through my fingers a few years back a coke school crossing cop, at the time I thought it was to expensive but now looking back I have never seen another come up for sale and I think it would have been a bargain.

a650dcfcc1d2c52bdb4182e6b033b678.jpg

I want EVERYTHING in that photo :lol

Or just get this :lol

s-l225.jpg.69f2d92607a25793e46cb71b42c18970.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Not really a box, its lit Lettering modern Neon, I had a few old Light boxes that was in my shops shed and they were there well before I bought the shop from the previous owners, I left them behind when I sold my shop 6 years later, as I Wasnt sure of ownership, Some point of sale stuff Is also still coke property and clearly marked as such,

My shop had been around for 30 years before me so it had amassed allot of Point of sale crap over the years. I often pulled some of the old signs and display stuff out and put them on display.

Is that something you would sell?

I have a working vintage Coke machine, and yet I still have Coke envy :cry

You would have cried with joy at the stuff I had in my shops storage shed, You imagine what a traditional Aussie Burger shop that opened in the 1980 would have had amassed over the years in Point of sale advertising shit and it was there. lol

I used to cycle through it and put it on the walls, different stuff every few months and people loved it and was a good attraction,

Edited by jason1

You would have cried with joy at the stuff I had in my shops storage shed, You imagine what a traditional Aussie Burger shop that opened in the 1980 would have had amassed over the years in Point of sale advertising shit and it was there. lol

I used to cycle through it and put it on the walls, different stuff every few months and people loved it and was a good attraction,

That is genuine Coke memorabilia. Not mass produced crap made just to make money. I've looked at Coke repo signs and lights etc, and I can't excited about them at all.

The stuff that was never meant to be collectible or last for decades. It was just meant to sell Coke, so it had to look appealing and be durable in a retail environment.

****, I am getting old. I hate the plastic fantastic crap everything is these days. Even Lego, that is literally fantastic plastic, was better in the 80's than it is now.

EDIT: Then again, there are some vintage Coke items I can do without.........

6207027787_4edac2c737_o.jpg.89c4b152a81a66b764c296b6dd95a696.jpg

Edited by kdog

Interesting thread. I've been looking at buying a Coke machine but had no idea of these ownership issues. Glad I clicked on this thread and have it a read.

I see plenty of vending machines with Mars snack foods or other branded advertising on them. Do any of those companies ever try to reclaim their machines?

Interesting thread. I've been looking at buying a Coke machine but had no idea of these ownership issues. Glad I clicked on this thread and have it a read.

I see plenty of vending machines with Mars snack foods or other branded advertising on them. Do any of those companies ever try to reclaim their machines?

Coca Cola Amatil never sell their old machines apparently. Mine predates CCA as it was owned and sold by "Adelaide Bottlers" before CCA bought them.

I would check with other companies about their branded machines being for sale. Even some Coke ones might not have ever been CCA owned, but you have to get serial numbers to check them out with CCA.

What sort of Coke machine were you looking to get, budget etc. did you want vintage or more modern?

Edited by kdog

Before I started this thread, I used to think about purchasing fridges like this etc. So many come up here in SA its not funny.

A few years back, someone had a vintage Coke 3 door fridge from the 80's with Coke, Fanta and Leeds lemonade signage/Light-box on it in excellent condition. Knowing now that these modern fridges are still property of Coke, I wish I had grabbed the pre-CCA 3 door fridge myself.

s-l800.webp s-l800.webp

s-l800.webp

Edited by kdog

OK, so I went did something stupid today. I want to a antique shop to look at some Coke stuff they had.

While they had a few small items, they had 2 big signs, one horizontal and 1 vertical. The longest sides of both signs were both around the same as the height of my coke machine (around 1350mm), and about 3-400mm wide/tall.

The Horizontal sign was priced at $1595, and the Vertical sign was $1395.

Now I paid $1700 for a working vintage glass bottle coke machine with original paint. An actual machine that can dispense Coke (or Beer), with an original working coin mechanism using Australian coins. A machine that has its signage on it still and 99.95% of its paint. Some of you may say I overpaid, and if we were in the US I would agree. But after 6 years of trying to find this machine in this country, I know how scarce they are, especially in working condition.

Out of curiosity I asked the owner if he would be interested in my machine, and he said he was after I showed him photos, but that he would have to talk to his business partner. When I threw out $1700 as what I would be interested in getting for it, out came the "I need to make a profit too" speech.

Here is the thing. While I have nothing against the guy making a living, if a Vintage coke sign is worth $1595 retail, then I sure as hell think a fully working Vintage Coke vending machine from the same era is worth more retail than a single piece of flat metal with shiny paint on it. Don't get me wrong, its a nice sign and I would love to have it, but if I had known about that sign last month before I bought the Coke machine and had to make a choice, I'd buy the Coke machine.

Now I am curious to see what kind of price he is going to come back with. While I don't have any desire to sell the machine, if I got a awesome offer I might reconsider. But after seeing that sign at $1595, I am much happier with what I paid for the machine.

Don’t buy from antique shops everything is going to be grossly overpriced, but when they want to buy something want to pay f**k all for it

Just troll EBay and Gumtree that’s what I do good stuff pops up every now and then if you keep an eye open

Don’t buy from antique shops everything is going to be grossly overpriced, but when they want to buy something want to pay f**k all for it

Just troll EBay and Gumtree that’s what I do good stuff pops up every now and then if you keep an eye open

That's what I normally do, Ebay and Gumtree. But this place has a lot of Garagenalia, vintage signs and promotional stuff etc, and I wanted to see what they had. But sweet Jesus I wanted to cry when I saw how beautiful and horrendously expensive some of their stuff was.

And yes, I'm sure whatever they would pay for my machine, they would at the very least double it to sell it on. Places like that have repeat customers who have more money than sense. Hell, one guy came in just before I left and started giving the guy a list of vintage Coke stuff he wanted the guy to find.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kaniva/collectables/coke-vending-machine-coca-cola/1195284295

Here is another one that is more modern that got posted today.

Seriously, how many machines do Coke lose in a year?

EDIT: That actually has a Coca Cola Amatil plate and serial number above the coin bezel..... :lol

s-l800.webp

Edited by kdog

So as part of a Sate Government program, Public Libraries here all have a couple of Electricity auditing kits so we can determine ways to save power.

The 3 things I am going to use out of it to test out my machine is the POwer-Mate (Electricity usage meter) to see how much power it uses per hours/quarter/year after I enter in the kW/h from my power bill. Also going to use the infrared and spirit thermometer to see what the temp inside is.

Have barely used it for an hour (need 24 hours to get an accurate read through several on off cycles), but so far it says it might cost between $150 to $200 per quarter ($600-800 per year), but the fridge was still cooling down.

Will be interesting to see. I'm sure if I didn't use a normal fridge, my power bill would be down a lot per quarter, but I know these old fridges use waaaaaay more power. No way I will run this 24/7. Thing is, If I set aside $2.40 per day, should more than cover the extra power needed per year. At 80 cents per bottle, I'll have to drink 3 bottles a day

($800 divided by 365 is $2.20 per day)

You honestly don't think $2 a day really matters, until you think about it over the course of a year. Worth it to have a working Coke Machine though.

Oh, its below $600 per year now on the yearly estimate after almost an hour of running.

EDIT: After 2 hours exactly, it has used 9.92 cents. That means $1.1904 per day , $108.63 per quarter. About $434.50 per year. Honestly, its kind of scary seeing what a fridge can draw. Bring back the old ice box I say, and salt everything :lol

EDIT 2 : After 3 hours, 14.16 cents. $1.1328 per day. Quarterly estimate $103.33. Yearly Estimate $413.59

After 4 hours, 18.18 cents. $1.0908 per day. Quarterly estimate $99.57. Yearly Estimate $398.25

EDIT 3: After 5 hours, 21.83 cents. $1.04784 per day. Quarterly estimate $95.66. Yearly Estimate $382.81

After 6 hours, 26.24 cents. $1.0496 per day. Quarterly estimate $94.55. Yearly Estimate $378.23

Edited by kdog