Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGLXXXVIII - Game 8 ~ Dommy (closes 27-Jan)

Dommy Strategy and Tips.

I had never heard of Dommy before this MGL. I wasn't too sure about it on the first couple of credits but I have quickly grown to like it. I am by no means an expert on this game but I have a few tips and strategies and a basic outline of the game for anyone that would like to score a bit higher or play a bit longer.

The main idea of Dommy is to get all the dominos pushed into the yellow band around the end of the play area and then return to your starting position (the blue arrow) and knock them over. All dominos are worth one at the beginning of a scene. You can increase this to a value of two or three by leaning on and pushing a domino. There is the occasional mystery domino that is shown with a flashing question mark, this is worth six dominos.

Unlike Pengo, a similar game to Dommy, there are no points or rewards for squashing any of the enemies, they are just there to cause you trouble, and by trouble I mean kill you. I find the enemies move in a similar manner to the Sno-Bees in Pengo. That is that they look like they are random and bumbling in their movements but in fact they are very skilled in cornering and trapping you or they just seem to know where you want to be next and move to that area.

The enemies consist of a black domino, a springy thing, a snake, a dog like thing, a yellow 'homeless Pacman' looking thing and the blue domino that wanders around the yellow band.

The black domino is the most aggressive and can walk through the other dominos but not the walls inside the play area. The other enemies can not walk through the dominos. The spring, the dog and the snake are reasonably harmless and don't pursue you as aggressively. The yellow one also does not pursue you aggressively but instead decreases the value of the dominos you may have changed to a two or a three by briefly touching them. The blue one aims to reach the end of your domino line and knock them over, returning them all to the play area.

The enemies can be shot and briefly stunned, you can run through them in their stunned state but you have to be quick, it doesn't last long and they resume their pursuit of you. The blue domino that wanders around the yellow band can be shot and it will disappear and reappear from its original starting point of the flashing red square with the black X. I shoot it whenever I am near it, it is best to keep the blue domino as close to its start point as possible. All enemies can also be squashed 'Pengo style' by pushing and sliding a domino into them.

As you slide dominos into the yellow band you will notice that you start to build a line of dominos. The domino line increases by the same value of dots that were on the domino as it went into position. It is best to change the value to three dots by pressing the domino twice so your line builds faster. You should always go for the flashing question mark domino if it is safe to do so as this is worth six dominos in the line. You can return to the blue arrow at any time and knock these over. There is very little reward for this and I only use it as a last resort if the blue domino reaches the end of the domino trail and is about to knock it over. This removes the line of dominos, frees up the yellow band again and resets the blue domino to its start position.

You can run through and move in the yellow band, this is handy in higher scenes as you need to navigate quickly from side to side. The only time you can't enter the yellow band is when you have pushed a domino in it and it is still travelling to the end of the domino line. The domino must be in position before you can enter the yellow band.

In scene one there is a small bonus available if your domino line is long enough to fill the yellow band on the right. You can return to the blue arrow and knock them down to collect bonus points.

From scene two onward there are various 'safe houses' (blue house with question mark). If your domino line reaches one of these you can return to the blue arrow and knock down your dominos to collect bonus points. The more houses your domino line passes through - the more (and bigger) bonuses you collect.

These bonuses certainly help your score but the big points come if you can complete a full domino line from the blue arrow all the way along to where the blue domino starts (the flashing red square with the black X).

This takes some planning and it requires you to have some dominos positioned in a group together near the blue arrow or the flashing red square and leave them until last.

The longer your domino line is then the quicker the blue domino will reach it and try and knock it down. If you have a group of dominos ready you can keep pushing them into the red square - increasing the length of your domino line and killing the enemies as they respawn.

It took me a while to work out that you can also push the blocks into the blue arrow to build your line. Position your blocks near both the start and finish points of the line ready for a hectic finish when completing a full line.

There is a timer running on each level so you must work quickly. You will get a 'Danger. Hurry Up' warning if you are on a level for too long. After this warning the enemies speed up and can no longer be shot and a quick death normally follows. If I am close to completing a full line when I get the warning I normally sacrifice a life and ensure the dominos remain in the positions I want rather than push them around wildly and put them out of position. When you start your next life the enemies will have returned to normal speed and you will have a chance to finish your line.

The bonuses available for completing a full line significantly increase your score.

Good luck with Dommy, I hope this guide helps you enjoy it a bit more or increase your score.

Edited by bigredbird

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dommy Strategy and Tips.

I had never heard of Dommy before this MGL. I wasn't too sure about it on the first couple of credits but I have quickly grown to like it. I am by no means an expert on this game but I have a few tips and strategies and a basic outline of the game for anyone that would like to score a bit higher or play a bit longer.

The main idea of Dommy is to get all the dominos pushed into the yellow band around the end of the play area and then return to your starting position (the blue arrow) and knock them over. All dominos are worth one at the beginning of a scene. You can increase this to a value of two or three by leaning on and pushing a domino. There is the occasional mystery domino that is shown with a flashing question mark, this is worth six dominos.

Unlike Pengo, a similar game to Dommy, there are no points or rewards for squashing any of the enemies, they are just there to cause you trouble, and by trouble I mean kill you. I find the enemies move in a similar manner to the Sno-Bees in Pengo. That is that they look like they are random and bumbling in their movements but in fact they are very skilled in cornering and trapping you or they just seem to know where you want to be next and move to that area.

The enemies consist of a black domino, a springy thing, a snake, a dog like thing, a yellow 'homeless Pacman' looking thing and the blue domino that wanders around the yellow band.

The black domino is the most aggressive and can walk through the other dominos but not the walls inside the play area. The other enemies can not walk through the dominos. The spring, the dog and the snake are reasonably harmless and don't pursue you as aggressively. The yellow one also does not pursue you aggressively but instead decreases the value of the dominos you may have changed to a two or a three by briefly touching them. The blue one aims to reach the end of your domino line and knock them over, returning them all to the play area.

The enemies can be shot and briefly stunned, you can run through them in their stunned state but you have to be quick, it doesn't last long and they resume their pursuit of you. The blue domino that wanders around the yellow band can be shot and it will disappear and reappear from its original starting point of the flashing red square with the black X. I shoot it whenever I am near it, it is best to keep the blue domino as close to its start point as possible. All enemies can also be squashed 'Pengo style' by pushing and sliding a domino into them.

As you slide dominos into the yellow band you will notice that you start to build a line of dominos. The domino line increases by the same value of dots that were on the domino as it went into position. It is best to change the value to three dots by pressing the domino twice so your line builds faster. You should always go for the flashing question mark domino if it is safe to do so as this is worth six dominos in the line. You can return to the blue arrow at any time and knock these over. There is very little reward for this and I only use it as a last resort if the blue domino reaches the end of the domino trail and is about to knock it over. This removes the line of dominos, frees up the yellow band again and resets the blue domino to its start position.

You can run through and move in the yellow band, this is handy in higher scenes as you need to navigate quickly from side to side. The only time you can't enter the yellow band is when you have pushed a domino in it and it is still travelling to the end of the domino line. The domino must be in position before you can enter the yellow band.

In scene one there is a small bonus available if your domino line is long enough to fill the yellow band on the right. You can return to the blue arrow and knock them down to collect bonus points.

From scene two onward there are various 'safe houses' (blue house with question mark). If your domino line reaches one of these you can return to the blue arrow and knock down your dominos to collect bonus points. The more houses your domino line passes through - the more (and bigger) bonuses you collect.

These bonuses certainly help your score but the big points come if you can complete a full domino line from the blue arrow all the way along to where the blue domino starts the flashing red square with the black X.

This takes some planning and it requires you to have some dominos positioned in a group together near the blue arrow or the flashing red square and leave them until last.

The longer your domino line is then the quicker the blue domino will reach it and try and knock it down. If you have a group of dominos ready you can keep pushing them into the red square - increasing the length of your domino line and killing the enemies as they respawn.

It took me a while to work out that you can also push the blocks into the blue arrow to build your line. Position your blocks near both the start and finish points of the line ready for a hectic finish when completing a full line.

There is a timer running on each level so you must work quickly. You will get a 'Danger. Hurry Up' warning if you are on a level for too long. After this warning the enemies speed up and can no longer be shot and a quick death normally follows. If I am close to completing a full line when I get the warning I normally sacrifice a life and ensure the dominos remain in the positions I want rather than push them around wildly and put them out of position. When you start your next life the enemies will have returned to normal speed and you will have a chance to finish your line.

The bonuses available for completing a full line significantly increase your score.

Good luck with Dommy, I hope this guide helps you enjoy it a bit more or increase your score.

Very good write up. Thanks for sharing and posting. Still no one has mentioned the 3 similarities with Mr Do! Oh well, if it remains unknown, then so be it. Dommy is a good nomination, if you enjoy a very very short game, and are challenged by very tough tasks. The speed of the game gets very fast and like I said, one mistake and then you are toast.

Very good write up. Thanks for sharing and posting. Still no one has mentioned the 3 similarities with Mr Do! Oh well, if it remains unknown, then so be it. Dommy is a good nomination, if you enjoy a very very short game, and are challenged by very tough tasks. The speed of the game gets very fast and like I said, one mistake and then you are toast.

As you know, I have played a lot of Mr. Do!

Over the past week I have also played a lot of Dommy.

I don't know what the similarities are :unsure. Please share them with us.

Also, I know you are a Pengo expert. This game certainly has some similarities to Pengo.

Have you played it much? What can you score?

Also, I know you are a Pengo expert. This game certainly has some similarities to Pengo.

Having seen OOO play Pengo in person - I can vouch for his being a great player.

That said, he also taught me that I didn’t actually know how to play Pengo!

I used to think the goal was just to squash all the snow bees. Not knowing about the 3 diamonds etc.

Now I love the game! Thanks @OOO

Sent from my C64 VT-100 Terminal using Aussie Arcade

When a game is drawn from the pool of nominations, I do a pre-test of the game. This is for suitability under the rules like controls, and checking to see if leeches and other historical issues affect the game. So on the pre-test of Dommy, I noticed many things like Mr Do! As there are 4 days to go until this game is closed, there's still plenty of time for gamers to provide their feedback, if they are interested.

I'll give the easiest one away ... in Mr Do!, they use "scene" as the round, and so too in Dommy.

YpI4Qti.png

Now you might say many games use "scene" for the round, but actually there are very very few. Using my great mental powers LOL, and the internet (yay!), Mr Do!, Mr Do!'s Castle, Mr Do!'s Wild Ride, Do! Run Run, Jumping Jack and ... Dommy, all use "scene" for the round. Lady Bug from Universal uses Part, Galaga uses Stage, Donkey Kong L for level I think, Frogger uses an image, Bomb Jack uses Round, and I don't know of any other game using "scene". The other 2 similarities, and there could be more if anyone finds them and wants to post here, narrow down the "scene" field of games above, to just one game ... Mr Do! How exciting!

Pulled my

Finger out :D

Good stuff ... 11K. Now try not to push down your dominoes at all in scene 1. That means keep pushing the 3 dot dominoes into the yellow lane, and fill it right up for the extra bonus, without the blue domino knocking them back over. When you completely fill the lane, the scene ends, and you don't need to push over your dominoes. You'll also have a new high score ... :D

:)

MGLXXXVIII - Game 8 ~ Dommy (closes 27-Jan)

The other 2 similarities, and there could be more if anyone finds them and wants to post here, narrow down the "scene" field of games above, to just one game ... Mr Do! How exciting!

Well @OOO , I think I may have discovered some of the similarities that you are excited about!

Mr. Do! and Dommy both have a 'cut scene' where you get a brief break in play.

"So what?", I hear you say, "Many games have cut scenes in between play, that is not special"

The similarity I see is that both Mr. Do! and Dommy say "Congratulations" in this scene.

Mr. Do! congratulates for an extra man, Dommy congratulates for getting the bonus.

If you really want to stretch it, both characters in the cut scenes have their hands in the air. The dinosaur is surrendering in Mr Do! and the character in Dommy is celebrating.

239352002_ImageUploadedByAussieArcade1548311081.018156.thumb.jpg.358474a66cfff0f571a416bb47507dcd.jpg602852408_ImageUploadedByAussieArcade1548311094.103665.thumb.jpg.37a8dc409ecc1d7cc26d2ec6e509d2e3.jpg

I was going to include Mr. Do's Castle as well but that has a word misspelled and is "Congraturations" when you get a diamond.

I was streaming some Dommy on Twitch today and asked my viewers if they could see any similarities.

They came up with a couple.

The first was that they thought some of the sounds were the same. I notice that you have hinted at that too but I don't hear it.

They also noted that if you die at the same time you complete a level in Dommy then you do not lose a life. This is also true for Mr. Do! and Mr. Do's Castle.

Are these the things you see or do you have more?

Please share them with us before we finish playing Dommy.

Well @OOO , I think I may have discovered some of the similarities that you are excited about!

Mr. Do! and Dommy both have a 'cut scene' where you get a brief break in play.

"So what?", I hear you say, "Many games have cut scenes in between play, that is not special"

The similarity I see is that both Mr. Do! and Dommy say "Congratulations" in this scene.

Mr. Do! congratulates for an extra man, Dommy congratulates for getting the bonus.

If you really want to stretch it, both characters in the cut scenes have their hands in the air. The dinosaur is surrendering in Mr Do! and the character in Dommy is celebrating.

I was going to include Mr. Do's Castle as well but that has a word misspelled and is "Congraturations" when you get a diamond.

[ATTACH]142038[/ATTACH][ATTACH]142039[/ATTACH]

Wow that's a good pickup. I mentioned there may be at least 3 similarities, and you have found one I did not know. Nice!

- - - Updated - - -

Well @OOO

I was streaming some Dommy on Twitch today and asked my viewers if they could see any similarities.

They came up with a couple.

The first was that they thought some of the sounds were the same. I notice that you have hinted at that too but I don't hear it.

They also noted that if you die at the same time you complete a level in Dommy then you do not lose a life. This is also true for Mr. Do! and Mr. Do's Castle.

Are these the things you see or do you have more?

Please share them with us before we finish playing Dommy.

It's great you are streaming your gaming of Dommy on Twitch. Just like back in the arcade days when people would gather to watch others play games. And you obviously have some very smart viewers watching your channel. They mentioned ...

"They also noted that if you die at the same time you complete a level in Dommy then you do not lose a life. This is also true for Mr. Do! and Mr. Do's Castle."

Spot on, that was one of them. When I think of how many games have this feature, it is extremely rare. When I think of the game design, they made this happen as the animation for the domino had to complete in the yellow lane, and so they did not stop the game play of the other objects and the loss of life sound occurs. They wrote code that if last domino pushed, play domino motion and game play continues, when domino completes in yellow lane, then gamer does not lose life, even though gamer has life loss sound.

"The first was that they thought some of the sounds were the same. I notice that you have hinted at that too but I don't hear it."

This is correct, however the complete answer is missing. What sound is it? When I first heard it in Dommy, I thought it was undoubtedly the same as Mr Do!. It is this answer that only matches Mr Do!, so this is the clincher, and removes Mr Do!'s Castle out of the equation. Note that Dommy was released after Mr Do!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm wondering if the "no bonus" character is something OOO is referring to. A clown using balls (just like Mr Do)

I could be waaaaay off track though. Only OOO knows :cool:

This is the 5th similarity! Another good pickup.

This is correct, however the complete answer is missing. What sound is it? When I first heard it in Dommy, I thought it was undoubtedly the same as Mr Do!. It is this answer that only matches Mr Do!, so this is the clincher, and removes Mr Do!'s Castle out of the equation. Note that Dommy was released after Mr Do!

HOW did I miss that?

In all of the many, many games of Mr. Do! I have played I have watched the little cut scene that plays after every three rounds and shows your scores per scene over and over again.

I have listened to the same tune play in that scene over and over again.

It is the same tune that plays in Dommy as the dominos fall and you collect the 'safe house' bonuses!

HOW did I miss that?

In all of the many, many games of Mr. Do! I have played I have watched the little cut scene that plays after every three rounds and shows your scores per scene over and over again.

I have listened to the same tune play in that scene over and over again.

It is the same tune that plays in Dommy as the dominos fall and you collect the 'safe house' bonuses!

Yes you are correct. I couldn't believe you missed it either. To be exact, the music in scene 3 (The Woods) of Dommy after the domino completion for the extra bonus is the same as the "every 3 scenes" music in Mr Do!. And that as they say, is the perfect match to Mr Do!, not to any other game in the 1000s that were made!

domm0001.png.77a41d82197f17238de5037c9859094a.png

played this a few times and got scores like 80, 170, etc...would usually die before I pushed any dominoes down :rolleyes Finally got the bonus for filling the line out on level 1, so figured I'd submit it...will keep on working on it, but I just can't get the hang of the sluggish controls.