Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 31 - Game 2 ~ Pac-man ~ [FINISHED]

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice candies ... how much per pound? ... [ATTACH=CONFIG]107030[/ATTACH] ... and these ... [ATTACH=CONFIG]107031[/ATTACH]

We had Redskins (not the ones from Washington) in my time, fantales, red and green frogs ... and fruit tingles ... [ATTACH=CONFIG]107032[/ATTACH]

I visited a mini arcade with about 8 machines on George St in Sydney in the very early 80s, before Orbit 600 and Westworld opened, and there I was looking at these guys playing Galaxian and Crush Roller (yes can you believe it). I heard a strange but addictive police siren sound coming from the right corner of the mini arcade and there it was ... Pac-man ... a very fresh breath of air, as almost every game that came out for a few years was shoot the aliens and so many varieties of that theme ... :headbuttwall:

The ghost colours were terrific, the concept of eating pills seemed great at the time, eating ghosts was terrific and the cute bonus fruits and items (I mean who can forget the cherry) ... the bonus cherry and bell reminded me of the slot machines! And what followed with all the other Pac-man games was great.

Trading in collectibles was common in all schools, just maybe your Principal was jealous and wanted your cards!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]107033[/ATTACH]

I don't have anything of Pac-man from those days, other than the memory of the game eating my coins, but I do have today, Inky sitting on my gaming desktop giving me the thumbs up ... good to see he's on my side for a change!

Anyone else have a tragic Pac-man story?

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm ... 198,600 vs 111,190 ... looks like No.2 is no.1 ... for now ... :035:

@bigredbird knows he's on borrowed time :) and is fearful of No2.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

675da08e59703297a56d516208b67b41.jpg

Not sure what the rules are on a 2 player game. Can you clarify @OOO ?

Churgs came around for a game this arvo and we had a 2 player Pacman.

I don't think the gameplay is any different on a 2 player game but I will remove the score if it's not allowed.

(Doesn't really matter - beat churgs!)

The very early Pac-man scoreboard ... plenty to munch about ...

churgs leads the dot eaters ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Pacman1_zps8qayeijk.png http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Cartoon2_MGL31_zpsh6ah0245.png

14 days to go ... http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Pacman_Machine_zpsb3b61f58.gif

Edited by OOO

The very early Pac-man scoreboard ... plenty to munch about ...

churgs leads the dot eaters ...

14 days to go ... http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Pacman_Machine_zpsb3b61f58.gif

Big gap between the top 3 and the also ran's. I'm actually really enjoying Pac-Man and I wasn't overly keen on it.

5 Lives helps.

Developed a bit of a pattern that is working for the most part so far, need to refine it bit obviously. I'm no thread of ever playing a perfect game or KSing it though, happy to freestyle my way for the moment.

I love the game cross-reference to Galaxian. You see this in Galaga as well.

Anyone know of other cross-game references?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

The Yashichi appears in many capcom games

The flag from rally-x appears as extra life in hidden features of xevious

Decided to revisit my saved puckman recording from last time it came up in MGL because I couldn't for the life of me remember how I got 90K back then. For the record this is not downloaded from anywhere online and is really just a partial pattern that guarantees me at least one fruit per board but past that I really need to figure out how to finish the pattern off. Call it a work in progress. Watched it one time only which some would say is one time too many but it is what it is.

puckman.png.b1f5005de32575ece716ba47bcba5af9.png

Decided to revisit my saved puckman recording from last time it came up in MGL because I couldn't for the life of me remember how I got 90K back then. For the record this is not downloaded from anywhere online and is really just a partial pattern that guarantees me at least one fruit per board but past that I really need to figure out how to finish the pattern off. Call it a work in progress. Watched it one time only which some would say is one time too many but it is what it is.

You (or anyone) don't need to explain yourself or justify if you are playing by winging it or following patterns. Nobody is going to get the top score on this game by winging it. That stands for many other games we play here too.

It is no different to playing in the arcade back in the day. You took your turn and learned by trial and error. When it was someone else's turn you joined the crowd around the machine and watched and learned and copied any good strategies.

Sure, we didn't have Youtube or strategy guides at our fingertips online but there were plenty of books and magazines available (see post 10 in this thread by BandontheRun) to learn patterns and strategies.

Play your best game in the way you prefer, I've seen you explain yourself a couple of times in these forums and there is absolutely no need to.

There will be plenty of games in the next few MGLs that aren't patternable so those that don't like patterns can show us their skills there.

Game on everyone.

You (or anyone) don't need to explain yourself or justify if you are playing by winging it or following patterns. Nobody is going to get the top score on this game by winging it. That stands for many other games we play here too.

It is no different to playing in the arcade back in the day. You took your turn and learned by trial and error. When it was someone else's turn you joined the crowd around the machine and watched and learned and copied any good strategies.

Sure, we didn't have Youtube or strategy guides at our fingertips online but there were plenty of books and magazines available (see post 10 in this thread by BandontheRun) to learn patterns and strategies.

Play your best game in the way you prefer, I've seen you explain yourself a couple of times in these forums and there is absolutely no need to.

There will be plenty of games in the next few MGLs that aren't patternable so those that don't like patterns can show us their skills there.

Game on everyone.

I do sometimes live in the past a bit :redface

Had 2 or 3 Pacman strategy books way back but never got to put the patterns to good use. Donated them to Funspot from memory