Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Head to Head Battle Pinny

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Any suggestions on where I could get a TFT to would fit in the apron plate instruction card hole"

i just ebay 3 inch monitor pay about $20

Can you send me the ebay link item number, Ill be stuffed if I can find the right thing to suit on ebay…...

Time to fit the shooter lane assembly. Thanks to @OzBlackKnight for laser cutting and bending it up for me. I can now fit the shooter lane solenoid assembly and cover . I had to route out a part of the playfield down 8mm to fit the assembly and make it line up with the centre of the pinball in the trough. All was going well until the router bit started to drop down in the chuck . Unfortunately due to lots of wood shavings , I could not see it digging in too deep for a little bit..then argh I saw it :realmad: Luckily the damage was not terminal and the part fitted ok. For some reason in the picture it looks a mile out of square, its not.

20180604_185259_resized.thumb.jpg.77b920b59b343998f1d6fe83c837b420.jpg20180604_185136_resized.thumb.jpg.324b2fdbf89f5daa35d838df80e033dc.jpg20180604_185120_resized.thumb.jpg.78ffe5ea1316d7dd3220b8e75469dd46.jpg

So the shooter lane is fully assembled and lighting fitted. I'm very happy with how it all came together, as it was a lot of design time went into making it slot together. YOu will see the lane guide has a solid section just up from the shooter assembly. This is because the original guide got the crap bent out of it due to the cut outs for the leds weakened the metal too much. Now to do the red side :D

20180609_182916_resized.thumb.jpg.18b5fa1ecb8634737be1fed8deb903bf.jpg20180609_182705_resized.thumb.jpg.635ce1ae9f527341dab8dcefa75c3e6d.jpg20180609_182855_resized.thumb.jpg.03106026fc61d2b5c6658e6d60aed898.jpg

Sling shot issue....So I was finding the sling shots firing strength was varying. This was due to the fact that when the switch was hit, you fire the FET that drives the solenoid. When the solenoid fires it opens the switch, this then de-energises the solenoid. So seeing the switch opens before the full travel of the sling shot, this would create different amounts of power and reactiveness of the sling shot, big thump or pissy little thump :realmad: I tried various capacitor and resistor combinations on the switch to hold the fire voltage high for a bit longer on the FET to make sure the sling shot got to full travel with full power. This proved problematic. I spoke to young Mr @kress, who suggested using a relay board, as the relay contact was nice and snappy and no decaying cap voltage onto the FET. I have used a 4 relay module for Arduinos, but then had to make a daughter board to switch the inputs low to the board as it requires ( My inputs from the sling shots switch high ). So now the sling shots fire nicely , yay...:D. Sooner or later something on this pinny has to be simple, right? Individual PCBS in the beast to date 72 :o

20180611_121059_resized.thumb.jpg.939cc6f9ab96804a502df892d1b7134f.jpg

Sling shot issue....So I was finding the sling shots firing strength was varying. This was due to the fact that when the switch was hit, you fire the FET that drives the solenoid. When the solenoid fires it opens the switch, this then de-energises the solenoid. So seeing the switch opens before the full travel of the sling shot, this would create different amounts of power and reactiveness of the sling shot, big thump or pissy little thump :realmad: I tried various capacitor and resistor combinations on the switch to hold the fire voltage high for a bit longer on the FET to make sure the sling shot got to full travel with full power. This proved problematic. I spoke to young Mr @kress, who suggested using a relay board, as the relay contact was nice and snappy and no decaying cap voltage onto the FET. I have used a 4 relay module for Arduinos, but then had to make a daughter board to switch the inputs low to the board as it requires ( My inputs from the sling shots switch high ). So now the sling shots fire nicely , yay...:D. Sooner or later something on this pinny has to be simple, right? Individual PCBS in the beast to date 72 :o

[ATTACH=CONFIG]130942[/ATTACH]

You need one of these.[emoji16]

e4601fd4df484ffa6558b6f083cc6d45.jpg

It uses a 2 x 556 timers (4 timer circuits) to stretch the pulse from 4 switches or microprocessor outputs so the power is applied to the solenoid for a set time.

I have one for a mosfet board and one that takes a relay board for playfield toys I just need to work out the resistor and capacitor values to get the timing right.

53a8c903f3692084ba3dd09a662c6bf5.jpg

Cheers Trev.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Shooter Lane Test. So this is the Ball Kicker and shooter lane assemblie doing their stuff. I have now ripped out the RED Playfield and shall attack it with the router to fit its assemblie and other stuff. Once that's done, battle Pinny is a 100% Playable machine !:D all be it in its most basic mode. So then its on to programming modes and getting the magnet stuff sorted.

- - - Updated - - -

You need one of these.[emoji16]

e4601fd4df484ffa6558b6f083cc6d45.jpg

It uses a 2 x 556 timers (4 timer circuits) to stretch the pulse from 4 switches or microprocessor outputs so the power is applied to the solenoid for a set time.

I have one for a mosfet board and one that takes a relay board for playfield toys I just need to work out the resistor and capacitor values to get the timing right.

53a8c903f3692084ba3dd09a662c6bf5.jpg

Cheers Trev.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nice board that @BIG Trev. Saves a bit of programming stuff, or normal switch reaction for solenoids, will be very handy.

Re: Slingshots

This all seems like a lot of fluffing about for something so simple.

code for a single 8 pin 08M2 to do both slingshots

...alternatively placed inside the the main cpu programming

2 x 100ms one shots to drive Optos ,fets,relays...etc.

Doing it this way overcomes a timer stalling the processor

rather making the processor speed the timer.

symbol varA = w0

symbol varB = w1

main:

do

if pinC.4 = 0 then

if varA = 0 then

let varA = 100

high C.1

endif

endif

if pinC.3 = 0 then

if varB = 0 then

let varB = 100

high C.2

endif

endif

if varA > 0 then

let varA = varA - 1

else

low C.1

endif

if varB > 0 then

let varB = varB - 1

else

low C.2

endif

loop

stop

• 2 weeks later...

So I have decided to give the shooter lanes 2 strengths for fire power. If you Give the Fire Button a quick press, the shooter solenoid gets full fire and can shoot the ball straight onto the other players side. However, if you want the ball to land back on your side so you can line up a flipper shot ! Then hold the button for a couple of seconds, it will then fire the ball with less power, so it will only go onto your side of the playfield. The video shows the first test using 24ohms, too soft ! 8 Ohms in series with the shoot coil works nicely. This is all controlled by a nice little picaxe 08M on a nice little board ( yes another bloody board to make )

20180624_174158.thumb.jpg.a46b10f22da8db89ad91e85873eba7a5.jpg

So I have decided to give the shooter lanes 2 strengths for fire power. If you Give the Fire Button a quick press, the shooter solenoid gets full fire and can shoot the ball straight onto the other players side. However, if you want the ball to land back on your side so you can line up a flipper shot ! Then hold the button for a couple of seconds, it will then fire the ball with less power, so it will only go onto your side of the playfield. The video shows the first test using 24ohms, too soft ! 8 Ohms in series with the shoot coil works nicely. This is all controlled by a nice little picaxe 08M on a nice little board ( yes another bloody board to make )

Why don't you stick a player controlled variable resistor in the mix so the player can choose the shooter power? or am I making it too complicated?

Why don't you stick a player controlled variable resistor in the mix so the player can choose the shooter power? or am I making it too complicated?

I want that for the flipper buttons, maybe not on this machine specifically, but I wonder if it would work.

I want that for the flipper buttons, maybe not on this machine specifically, but I wonder if it would work.

Nah, wont work. On mine you have to hold the button for a couple o seconds so the pinny knows you want to do a half power shot. A flipper shot works completely different in reality. Also I have done this with the good old fashioned Ohms Law method of a series resistor. None of this nasty weak coil issues that our friends using pulse width modulation are having :lol ….one step closer to a running machine for Pinfest !:041:

Nah, wont work. On mine you have to hold the button for a couple o seconds so the pinny knows you want to do a half power shot. A flipper shot works completely different in reality. Also I have done this with the good old fashioned Ohms Law method of a series resistor. None of this nasty weak coil issues that our friends using pulse width modulation are having :lol ….one step closer to a running machine for Pinfest !:041:

I was thinking something like this around the button: https://tinkersphere.com/sensors/920-circular-touch-sensor-rotary-soft-potentiometer.html

No idea if you could put it in series with the coil itself though.

I was thinking something like this around the button: https://tinkersphere.com/sensors/920-circular-touch-sensor-rotary-soft-potentiometer.html

No idea if you could put it in series with the coil itself though.

That's a pretty spiffy device, however It would turn into a flaming burny wreck at your finger tips when put in series with a coil ! However It could be used to run a Pulse width modulator type thing, that then controls the coil. Nice find

A Milestone has been reached !:041: Battle Pinny is playable at a "Pub Code" Level....That is to say, its fully playable, has about half of it potential mode functional , but plays out a full game no problem. I have tested it on family members and @OzBlackKnight came over to Beta test as well. So far enabled modes that go off when you hit the rollover targets are 1:Reverse Flippers 2 :Dead Flippers 3 : Flipper Frenzy ( a combination of reverse and dead flippers) 4 :Black out mode...the whole playfield goes dark 5 : Point back, both players gets a point back.

The pinny is very dynamic and has a polycarb lid on if for now, but this takes a lot of hits! Im a bit scared to put the toughened glass on yet :o

So Magnets and magnet modes and lighting to be done. Some more work on the sounds and backing Tracks, and the lasers of course !

But very happy that nearly 3 years down the track is a real pinny ! Of see how good you are with your 7 segement display words...enjoy the vid. ( came out a bit low res though? )

Looks amazing. Will it be at flipout this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If all goes to plan it will go straight from Pinfest to the Bayside pinball meet in September....or it might just turn into a flaming smoke genie wreck at Pinfest :cry So not planned for flipout at this stage

If all goes to plan it will go straight from Pinfest to the Bayside pinball meet in September....or it might just turn into a flaming smoke genie wreck at Pinfest :cry So not planned for flipout at this stage
Looking forward to Pinfest and having a go on the Battle Pinny!!!

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk

A Milestone has been reached !:041: Battle Pinny is playable at a "Pub Code" Level....That is to say, its fully playable, has about half of it potential mode functional , but plays out a full game no problem. I have tested it on family members and @OzBlackKnight came over to Beta test as well. So far enabled modes that go off when you hit the rollover targets are 1:Reverse Flippers 2 :Dead Flippers 3 : Flipper Frenzy ( a combination of reverse and dead flippers) 4 :Black out mode...the whole playfield goes dark 5 : Point back, both players gets a point back.

The pinny is very dynamic and has a polycarb lid on if for now, but this takes a lot of hits! Im a bit scared to put the toughened glass on yet :o

So Magnets and magnet modes and lighting to be done. Some more work on the sounds and backing Tracks, and the lasers of course !

But very happy that nearly 3 years down the track is a real pinny ! Of see how good you are with your 7 segement display words...enjoy the vid. ( came out a bit low res though? )

.........what no smoke machine?