Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL28 - Game 4 ~ Lasso ~ [FINISHED]

@DB Et al. several items to note:

1. I suspect we're talking about different things. The actual warmup screen is a multiplier. I suspect some of the MGLers were not aware of this and were playing the game without the benefit of the multiplier.

2. On an entirely different topic, while it is possible to lasso multiple animals, it's difficult. You do receive extra points for an individual lasso scoring event that includes multiple captures (did I really just write that?!?), though this was not what I was referencing. The most I've ever gathered in one lasso was 3 for a total score of 8,100.

If memory serves, Barra said he snagged 4 in an individual lasso for 12Kish? 12,800 would be my guess.

3. I'm not able to speak to other mame versions on this game as I've loaded it up only in 172, then matched the dips to OOO's settings on post one. I have, as you have too - noted numerous discrepancies in game play depending as to the mame version for many games. RU is (I think, though Barra would know) 145? Dips at RU are a bit of a mystery too.

Berzerk for example played great on 106 but was BRUTAL on 172 despite having the same dip settings. I'm convinced, and maybe wrongly so, that certain games are just easier on other versions of mame.

Editing in: Ha! I just loaded this in 106 and it's BRUTAL. You have no chance of getting all three in the warmup. If you can, and I know know some are not readily able to play in different versions of mame, try playing this in later mame releases.

Edited by magrinder

DB why are you still using Wolfmame.106 ? TG and MARP now accept the latest Wolfmame versions, there have been HEAPS of improvements to mame in the past 9 years since .106 was released many of the games now play and look much better. Do you keep using .106 to make it easier to playback your old recordings? perhaps there is some other reason that I'm missing? I'm sure you would know all the trusted places to get updates, but if not send me a PM and I can send you a couple of links.

I used to enjoy submitting recordings for MARP but that was back when I played mame on my PC. Now that I play on my Astro cabs I use Groovymame as that is much better in that environment, which therefore excludes me from submitting, I also can't use Retrouprising as my cabs are not online and I'm sure it wouldn't look as good as Groovymame even if I could use it.

If it were worthwhile I could put my cabs online, it would be great to see a combination of ALL of the above.....a user configurable online website interface like Retrouprising using the latest mame versions combined into a GroovyWolfMame so that it would look great on cabs and PCs alike.....I just had a quick look at Retrouprising while typing this and noticed they are working towards a major update.....I guess it will still be aimed at PC users rather than cab users though. I'm just dreaming anyway as most of my scores are not worthy of submitting anywhere but our friendly little MGL comps :)

- - - Updated - - -

Back on track with Lasso, I only noticed last night that when you get two in one lasso that triggers the little doggie to drag another animal through the fence so as soon as you get two get ready to shoot that dog as he is worth big points as discussed previously. Maybe everyone already noticed that, but I didn't at first and I thought they just dragged one through the fence at random.

If memory serves, Barra said he snagged 4 in an individual lasso for 12Kish? 12,800 would be my guess.

I was telling fibs. I did manage to get 4 caught but only got 9900. I suspect that is the max you can get points-wise.

RU is (I think, though Barra would know) 145? Dips at RU are a bit of a mystery too.

RU was 135 last I used it. RU dips will be the default for that version. Presumably the same as the latest version, but you never know.

Just played this in 106. Damn thats insane! Another reason to ditch the dinosaur and get with the times ;)

Started a new work position so game time has taken a bit of a back seat this last 3 weeks, thanks for the tips on this game I

have managed to increase my score due to that!

Should get some more time on the weekend for a couple more games on this.

0003.png.094b4c3e66aec088706c683c8d216cb9.png

Congrats on the job DKong :)

I'm at home with plenty of gaming time, I enjoyed this game at first but now I'm stuck getting about 130k per game and then dying stupid deaths :( I hope to improve tomorrow it's a frustrating game when you are not making any progress.

I love that this game is finally getting some attention :D

I'm the current TG record holder, but you guys were quick to surpass that score!

I was curious if anyone has noticed any discrepancies in the game speed depending what version of MAME you're running?

Ninja edit: My record was done on WolfMAME106

Edited by d3scride

I love that this game is finally getting some attention :D

I'm the current TG record holder ...

Hi @d3scride,

Welcome to the MGL ... your score on TG is tremendous! ... congratulations on getting that high! ... but you know the game is still open here for another 4 days, so feel free to drop in a few canadian coins and post a score here while you enjoy playing this great game ...

The experts here have commented already on some of the differences between MAME versions, and I am sure they can provide more info ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Pacman_Machine_zpsb3b61f58.gif

• Administrators
Congrats on the job DKong :)

I'm at home with plenty of gaming time, I enjoyed this game at first but now I'm stuck getting about 130k per game and then dying stupid deaths :( I hope to improve tomorrow it's a frustrating game when you are not making any progress.

I found my Lasso gaming became significantly better using a 4 way joystick so you might want to try that if you have the option.

Brad

I just did the demo and got all 3 critters, but when I lassoed my first sheep I still only got 900 pts. Also the wolf was only worth 360 pts. Can any one else confirm this? I am using MAME.149. I did get points from the 3 critters so it is still worth it for a free 2,700 pts.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

For many years I have said "I can play nearly all games apart form a couple such as Qix with an 8 way it makes no difference to me as I'm used to it you just have to move it accurately". BUT now after this MGL when I have had more time than normal and decided to change my joystick restrictor a couple of times I'm going to have to revise that and say "I can play many 4 way games with an 8 way joystick but often it helps to have the physical restrictor in place if you want to go for high scores" :D

http://i.imgur.com/p2PMvPwh.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Back on track with Lasso, I only noticed last night that when you get two in one lasso that triggers the little doggie to drag another animal through the fence so as soon as you get two get ready to shoot that dog as he is worth big points as discussed previously. Maybe everyone already noticed that, but I didn't at first and I thought they just dragged one through the fence at random.

This tip is horseshit.....the stealer wolf does often come out when you get two at once but he will also come out if you get two separately in quick succession, he does seem to come out more often if you are clearing the round quickly.

I just did the demo and got all 3 critters, but when I lassoed my first sheep I still only got 900 pts. Also the wolf was only worth 360 pts. Can any one else confirm this? I am using MAME.149. I did get points from the 3 critters so it is still worth it for a free 2,700 pts.

Thanks for this post @Flash IV.

I suspect I'm off on this multiplier thought. From my earliest memory when first playing this game, I was getting very small amounts, then once I grabbed all the warmup critters, I received "full 3*" value. I am not able to now recreate this.

Now what I'm thinking is that the very first day playing this I was aggravated by the warmup screen, did not notice the 2,700 bonus, and went to the dips and turned the warmup dips off so I could learn the game without being aggravated every startup assuming that this dip was a trivial and pointless step. I just tested this moments ago.

With warmup dips off, I receive 120 points per wolf, 300 per critter, 1500 per wolf when in mid pen pull and 800 points for each snake.

I also remember yammering at @Barra on twitch about the multiplier in general and distinctly recall Barra receiving 600 points per lassoed critter during one very early game. As always, recollections and facts may not always match up. I'm really hoping Barra remembers receiving 2* something and will confirm this 2* receipt to convince myself that I'm not losing my capacity for basic reason.

My 3* write up is a well intended mistake, though when seeing Fire_Power write that he was only receiving 1500 per wolf in mid pen pull, it's where my mind went. I now suspect the FP had his warmup dips off too.

- - - Updated - - -

For many years I have said "I can play nearly all games apart form a couple such as Qix with an 8 way it makes no difference to me as I'm used to it you just have to move it accurately". BUT now after this MGL when I have had more time than normal and decided to change my joystick restrictor a couple of times I'm going to have to revise that and say "I can play many 4 way games with an 8 way joystick but often it helps to have the physical restrictor in place if you want to go for high scores" :D

Ha! I play everything with a 4 way and am convinced that an 8 way generally makes no difference. Mind you, I mostly play older games though and avoid shooters and fighters whenever possible.

This tip is horseshit

...high quality banter. :D

I think I have it figured out! The dip switch that gives you 360 wolves 900 critters and 2400 snakes is.... (drum roll please) "Warm-Up Instructions". You can turn off the "Warm Up" (and not get the extra 2700 pts) and it still works with 360 900 and 2400 pts. Matter of fact you can change the dips during the game and it will switch points on the fly. I have shot a 800 and a 2400 point snake one right after another. This is MAMEUI32 0 .143u9. Can anyone else collaborate?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Aussie Arcade mobile app