Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

LAI SEGA OutRun Restoration

I have taken some pics of the screen set up. Let me know if you need any specific areas.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the room it was in . He just sold the house.( Last pic)

Oh wow! What a house! I'm missing that whole wooden panel that the monitor fits too and wooden sections that are nail gunned to side panels. I don't have the glass or the fixings either. Looks like I've still some work to do.

Thank you so much for taking the time to take the photos it's always great to get as many reference photos as possible.

Do you think the oval sticker was removed from the front and stuck on the back?

Also the side art has little black areas. Has this been trimmed off around the outrun writing or is this a variation?

Thanks as always Ray.

• 6 months later...
I have taken some pics of the screen set up. Let me know if you need any specific areas.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the room it was in . He just sold the house.( Last pic)

Funny story - this Outrun is now in my house!

Came across this thread searching for answers to my predicament: this game is sadly not working at the moment, and I've been pulling my hair out trying to get it up and running.

In summary: Very rarely (maybe once every 50 boots) it boots fine and the game works perfectly. After about a minute the game dies and it's just a black screen. Marquee light is on, monitor is on, LEDs on both boards and power supply on, tested 5v at power supply and connectors, as well as ICs furthest away from the connectors, and it's getting 5v - but the game is dead. No amount of rebooting will bring it back, except by sheer luck that it decides to boot and work for another minute and then shut down.

I've spent a few days on this game trying all sorts of stuff. I've reflowed a lot of the connectors on the boards. Firmly pushed in chips etc but to no luck.

At the moment I can only think it's one of two things;

1. One (or more) of the RAM / ROM or ICs have issues and is causing the watchdog to shut it down.

2. Something funky with the power somewhere... Like I said, the boards are getting 5v, but could there be a power issue elsewhere? I notice there's two transformers and caps attached to one of them (you can see my exact game in the pictures above). Is it possible that if there's an issue with power elsewhere besides the game PCBs, it would also cause it not to boot? I would have thought as long as the PCBs are getting power and the monitor is getting power (which is true), then you should at least see the game boot even if you can't start a game. I've tried having everything unplugged except monitor and power but no luck.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Something really cool happened in December. A friend had dinner with Yu Suzuki in San Fransisco and he took along my OutRun Marquee. Suzuki - San was really surprised to see it and he signed it for me.

a66877b7eb6b513d018beb048c287983.jpg

I also placed my OutRun game card between the plexiglass. This was issued out to people who attended the 1986 Amusement Show in Japan when OutRun was first seen by the public. I thought it would be a nice touch.

bcd1a1331d15d766af109285b77ec58a.jpg

I have the screen inner and outer bezel coming from the uk soon and I picked up the Control panel bezel from the US last month. I plan to get them both sprayed and clear coated at a car body shop soon.8028c6e5667c425cc654b4413d0c8bfe.jpg

Last off I got this Japanese OutRun keyring d4cc3478dbdd9bee912399410c91d8b1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Great work on the resto! I know the pain in starting with a cabinet which hasn't seen any love for 30 years, and trying to get it back to life.

The job you've done striping down the assemblies and cleaning them is outstanding. It's always so rewarding to see the before and after pics :-D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
I love it!!! I'm curious about the power box... I could use a few inside some cabinets I'm working on.

Where did you find that?

It's a standard LAI power distribution box that was in many games made by LAI in Australia, which might be hard to get since it says you're in Costa Rica.

• 1 year later...

I don’t think I shared final finished photos of my OutRun restore. Here it is fully complete. It’s now running a PCB called SMARTIPI that plugs into the OutRun harness and plays OutRun, Canonball, Power Drift and Turbo OutRun.

It took a couple of years to fully finish this restore but it was worth it in the end.

31A9C1D6-D0EE-4ABC-8E5C-1F6A9D708160.thumb.jpeg.7ea6d553698dc63e5ee2350e97ce7cb3.jpeg90A3FC04-ADAE-4515-86B1-180EF399E67D.thumb.jpeg.d126580559fe884421eaeb825d0c29ad.jpeg

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Pinballer said:

Nice work @outrun86 !  Did you order the SmartyPi from Martin in the UK, if so do you mind stating what it cost you?

@Pinballer I was of about 5 who did the QA testing on pre production boards so it was cheaper I think. $400 including the board and Pi. I think due to shortages he will be just selling the PCB and you supply the Pi4b. 
if you are on UKVAC or the OutRun enthusiast Facebook page Marty will soon be adding the price and first batch. You need to register your name with him to get on the list.

16 hours ago, Gemini2544 said:

Nice Job, I love Outrun such a fun game. Well done!

Thank you, much appreciated