Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

SOLVED - Degaussing Issue on Rotated CRT

BullClip

Emailed Joey with this problem.

Problem has me screwed because I have never had a problem degaussing before.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate your input.

---------------------------------------------------------

I am having a problem with a mate?s CRT.

Rotated 90 degrees it from vertical to horizontal and the horizontal picture was upside down but otherwise the colours remained perfect.

Then rotated it 180 degrees and the colours were all completely off.

Hit it with a degaussing wand (red one from Highway Entertainment)

Process was

a. hold wand about an inch away;

b. press button,

c. rotate outward and slowly until about 10 inches away

d. release button.

and the colours for the most part stayed off (like a negative).

There was a little bit in the centre that came good but otherwise the degaussing wand made little difference..

I checked and the degaussing coil had come unplugged from the chassis when we rotated the monitor a second time so I plugged it back in.

After several attempts with the degaussing wand (and letting it cool down) it gave out and stopped working altogether.

I then tried using the back of a speaker (read this somewhere) which greatly improved the picture but not the very corners or the bottom border (as per the attached pic).

Pretty sure the problem is not coming from the chassis because it was working fine before we flipped it and have been able to rectify it to some extent with the speaker magnet.

Could flipping it over 180 degrees have messed the crt about?

Should I try flipping it back?

Or is this simply a degaussing issue? Not doing it correctly or a problem with the degauss coil around the monitor?

20160102_163622.thumb.jpg.28bef797459a9a8e9f63027d453b38fd.jpg

Edited by BullClip

Did you try degaussing sides of the cab. Also had a issue once and turned out the exact spot where had the cab seem to have interference. Moved it a metre away and all good

Tried moving it around the room and it didn't seem to make a difference. Didn't think to do it from the side. Will try that. Thanks.

Got this reply from Joey. Absolute champ.

Can we organise some sort of AAsainthood?

------------------------

Hey Dom ,

This is pretty common , some monitors are a nightmare when they have been rotated ,

best this to do is rotate it back 180deg to where it was ok , then move the yoke connector to the second set of pins ( that's why they always have 2 sets of pins ) they are there to flip the picture without having to physically touch the tube.

What also happens often when the tube is moved the yoke coil can move , so check it hasn't fallen away or moving , it should be still hard up against the rubber wedge on the tube , it's only held there by a single clamp with one screw.

If that is all good and you still have problems and it needs degaussing , then you will need another degaussing wand , you can get proper ones from Wes Components in NSW , not the toy ones most people sell in the industry.

The process you described is ok it some cases but those little toy wands simply aren't powerful enough , you do try this process first but if it doesn't work you need to target the problem area's simply by flicking the switch on the wand , it doesn't if you have to do it from the side , under or touching the tube , you do what needs to be done and disregard any process.

When I say flicking the switch, that means pushing it fast with your thumb is about 20 times to slow , you need to flick it lick you are flicking something away with your finger nail , each time it will change the picture and then suddenly it will come perfect.

Regards,

Joey

He is already the patron saint of arcade monitors. I hear that if you make a pilgrimage to his shop in Perth and touch his multimeter, all of your arcade monitors will instantly become beautiful Nanaos.

I have yet to test this rumour myself.

The advice about getting a good wand is also important. I have had one of those shitty red dildo wands smoke and burn the cable while I was using it. Scary.

Using a wand is not as simple as 1 inch and twirl it in circular motion.. Even more so with older monitors.

Sometimes you have to open the back of the cabinet and use the wand on the back or sides of the tube in spots to get the result.

Also on the front try flicking the switch so it give short direct jabs at the tube. you will find these short jabs can change it completely..

**You said you rotated it and it was perfect but up side down.... You should have been able to just reverse your yoke plug and it would have been all good.

**You said you rotated it and it was perfect but up side down.... You should have been able to just reverse your yoke plug and it would have been all good.

Something I wished I had of known before flipping the thing.

All fixed now due to effort on all fronts

Rotated monitor back 180 degrees and switched the plug as recommend by Jomac.

20 plus years of being set one way before being flipped around really makes a difference

Did this with the gracious help of @gt-ray who showed up despite having the flu.

Monitor then successfully degaussed with very little effort. As recommended by @Morty Moose and @Jomac I went under and to the sides also.

Special Thanks to @Mikie who loaned me his incredibly powerful wand also (that sounds dirtier then it should).

Of course none of this would have been possible without me screwing it all up to begin with (my mate who is having a Superboowl party on Monday thinks I am a genius).

Great AA effort all round.

• 1 year later...