Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 31 - Game 1 ~ Donkey Kong ~ [FINISHED]

You have to make a video like fok999 with Pac-man going through the pink ghost, so everyone can see what you are talking about ... :rolleyes

Long? Short? ... :unsure

Here is an existing video that is a good example. The spring that he goes on is a long spring. All other springs are short springs.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in the second elevator safe spot at the higher levels - is it wait for the long one and run up the ladder after the short one?

magrinder is correct. Wait for a long, then go on a short.

I'll add my thought on this. Something nobody seems to mention about the springs which I think is crucial, is the timing.

If you run on a long and then wait for the next spring to land to make your decision whether to ascend the ladder or retreat, then you're almost already too late to make it safely up. I think you really need to make you're decision before the second spring lands. To do this you need to watch the trajectory of the spring as it comes out from the edge of the screen. The long springs (ie. the one you don't want) will start from the bottom and travel upward to the top of their arch, whereas the short springs will enter the screen high at the top of the arch and go down, see the image below for what I mean. Once you can spot the difference it gives you much more time to make your decisions and more likely to survive!

http://members.aussiebroadband.com.au/kanem/pic/dksprings.jpg

1. When climbing the last ladder (either side) in the pie level, is there any way to know if a pie is about to come out or is it react or die?

Two pies can't come out from the left and right at the same time, so you can wait until you see one come out of the opposite side, then go up. Shouldn't really be an issue in DK, invaluble in Crazy Kong though.

Two pies can't come out from the left and right at the same time, so you can wait until you see one come out of the opposite side, then go up. Shouldn't really be an issue in DK, invaluble in Crazy Kong though.

Something I didn't know. Never stop learning when it comes to DK :)

I'll add my thought on this. Something nobody seems to mention about the springs which I think is crucial, is the timing.

If you run on a long and then wait for the next spring to land to make your decision whether to ascend the ladder or retreat, then you're almost already too late to make it safely up. I think you really need to make you're decision before the second spring lands. To do this you need to watch the trajectory of the spring as it comes out from the edge of the screen. The long springs (ie. the one you don't want) will start from the bottom and travel upward to the top of their arch, whereas the short springs will enter the screen high at the top of the arch and go down, see the image below for what I mean. Once you can spot the difference it gives you much more time to make your decisions and more likely to survive!

Thanks kane for the hints. I wanted to ask you, I think your best on DK is 660K ... so what is it that you have trouble with, that stops you from a KS or a score over 800K?

Thanks kane for the hints. I wanted to ask you, I think your best on DK is 660K ... so what is it that you have trouble with, that stops you from a KS or a score over 800K?

Um... losing lives I suppose :huh: Uncooperative flames on the rivet and pie levels and wild barrels while climbing the ladder directly under Kong on the girder levels are what do me in most often, very rarely die on the springs though. 500k+ is not too uncommon for me, but only once have I been over 600k, must be my limit, but I'll get that KS one day...

Uncooperative flames on the rivet and pie levels and wild barrels while climbing the ladder directly under Kong on the girder levels are what do me in most often, very rarely die on the springs though.

I think Barra, magrinder or Mameshane might have some pointers on the rivet and pie levels to help you ... :026:

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!

I don't know what it is about this game that makes you go back for more punishment.

Got to 150k comfortably again. Game over at 154k.

Again.

Barrels were well behaved today. Fireballs sitting at the top of ladders on the pie factory today. Lost all men in a couple of minutes.

I watched Barra on Twitch this morning and according to him you get high scores by

1) being half asleep

2) stop thinking

I will try this strategy next.

Calling BS on this as well :)

Anyone can KS, and I mean ANYONE

Is it easy? No. Is it 10/10 difficult? Not a chance. Kill-screening becomes almost-trivial when you have the confidence.

Doing it first time requires a bit of knowledge, a bit of luck and a &&%load of determination. Took me 8 months of pretty much solid playing to get there, coupled with heavy involvement and help from the DK community. Watching the pros play and asking for tips/info made it all that much easier. My PB on 25th August 2013 was 49600. I kill-screened for the first time on 26th August 2014 (started playing seriously in Jan/Feb 2014)

Also, you have to prepare yourself for massive heartbreak. You'll get close a number of times. You'll have enormous games that are destined for the kill-screen, only for it to be stolen from you. Gotta keep fighting and don't give up

(an example; my PB was 627k and I had a game where I went 692k on my first guy. We're talking only a few levels from the kill-screen. My game ended at 785k. It happens.)

I posted some tips last time this game was in the MGL: http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/76159-FINISHED-MGL-26-Game-5-Donkey-Kong?p=946011#post946011

Ask questions people :)

My reasoning behind this, is that no matter how much I practice, I just can not confidently do the spring stages. Maybe some in person tips will help, but I doubt it - I do not know how to make myself look for the long spring, then run while looking for the next spring to go back on if it's also long. I have tried like you wouldn't believe, I just can not get my mind, eyes and hands to all co-operate at the one time.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one. There are people that will practice and love playing DK their whole life, and it will just never click.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Kane.

That method might be a little easier for me to manage. I'll have a game a bit later maybe and see how it goes.

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!

I don't know what it is about this game that makes you go back for more punishment.

Got to 150k comfortably again. Game over at 154k.

Again.

Barrels were well behaved today. Fireballs sitting at the top of ladders on the pie factory today. Lost all men in a couple of minutes.

I watched Barra on Twitch this morning and according to him you get high scores by

1) being half asleep

2) stop thinking

I will try this strategy next.

LOL

That was mainly directed at playing pac-man. If I concentrate too much I over-think things and take a wrong turn

Regarding the pie factory, if you can't take the free pass, immediately grab the bottom hammer and try to spawn the fireballs all on the same side. Smash some pies as well. The conveyor switches directions when Kong reaches the left side.

If you can't take the bottom hammer, retreat down to the very bottom. If you get trapped down here just chalk that up to DK. It happens sometimes but to be fair 98% of the time theres a way out.

Fireballs only go down a ladder if you are below them. They gravitate upwards naturally because of this

Fireballs spawn on the same side as Mario on the PF. They spawn on the opposite side of the screen to Mario on the rivets.

:)

- - - Updated - - -

My reasoning behind this, is that no matter how much I practice, I just can not confidently do the spring stages. Maybe some in person tips will help, but I doubt it - I do not know how to make myself look for the long spring, then run while looking for the next spring to go back on if it's also long. I have tried like you wouldn't believe, I just can not get my mind, eyes and hands to all co-operate at the one time.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one. There are people that will practice and love playing DK their whole life, and it will just never click.

You need to stop watching Mario completely, and concentrate on what springs are coming out. When doing this for the first few times you'll miss the ladder. This happens to everyone. Train your eye by purposely NOT looking at him.

Eventually you'll be able to tell what sort of spring it is immediately as it enters the screen (exactly like Kane's picture).

New HS for my cab, but not a PB, I got to the level4 girders (springs) and couldn't remember my pattern that I taught myself BITD after much practise and frustration. No more time now, I will have a read of the tips here and hopefully get another game in before it closes and get 100k.

http://i.imgur.com/pCCgXMhh.jpg

You need to stop watching Mario completely, and concentrate on what springs are coming out. When doing this for the first few times you'll miss the ladder. This happens to everyone. Train your eye by purposely NOT looking at him.

Eventually you'll be able to tell what sort of spring it is immediately as it enters the screen (exactly like Kane's picture).

And @John73, I'll add this: while save states are not allowable for MGL, once out of the MGL I suggest running save states on the L4 elevators until you don't think about this at all and it becomes second nature. If save states in general is against your mind set (and I understand it is for some), then you'll have to grind through game after game. Personally, I encourage the save state approach for training purposes. You'll be amazed at how fast you get this, and then with a bit of practice, you won't think about the springs at all other than that it's turned into a "free pass" screen for you.

This is good though John as you're identifying a problem that can be overcome, despite that you currently don't think that it's achievable. I can assure you that it is achievable. I've had this same identical conversation a few times with a few other gamers who insisted the same things you are commenting on were not achievable but now pass the springs without a thought.

Again, the elevators is the one "free" screen of the batch is how I look at it. Kane essentially said the same thing. He seldom gets caught in the elevators, it's always crazy fireballs and WBs (this is my current barrier).

You can do it! Really, you can.

Have you seen the movie "Six degrees of Separation" ? It's a great movie if you haven't.

There is a line in the movie, where they say "Elephants" and then, "Whatever you do, do not think about Elephants."

But elephants are now implanted in your brain, and you can't stop thinking about them, no matter how hard you try. That is me with the spring stage. Whatever you do, take your eyes away from Mario/Jumpman, whatever you do, don't watch him.

Hope that clarifies my thoughts on me being able to master the springs.

Now have Six Degree's implanted in my head - might have to watch it again :D

- - - Updated - - -

And @John73, I'll add this: while save states are not allowable for MGL, once out of the MGL I suggest running save states on the L4 elevators until you don't think about this at all and it becomes second nature. If save states in general is against your mind set (and I understand it is for some), then you'll have to grind through game after game. Personally, I encourage the save state approach for training purposes. You'll be amazed at how fast you get this, and then with a bit of practice, you won't think about the springs at all other than that it's turned into a "free pass" screen for you.

This is good though John as you're identifying a problem that can be overcome, despite that you currently don't think that it's achievable. I can assure you that it is achievable. I've had this same identical conversation a few times with a few other gamers who insisted the same things you are commenting on were not achievable but now pass the springs without a thought.

Again, the elevators is the one "free" screen of the batch is how I look at it. Kane essentially said the same thing. He seldom gets caught in the elevators, it's always crazy fireballs and WBs (this is my current barrier).

You can do it! Really, you can.

Tried the save states a few weeks ago, and didn't get much further :(

I understand the Zelda WiiU, a very fine game, but what about the table tennis competition? Do you play table tennis to win a video game? ... :rolleyes

No of course, but it takes some time for me to play and to bring my sons at their competitions, like yesterday from 9 am till 6 pm ;-) ... So this is a lack of time to play at video games ^^

- - - Updated - - -

dkong19500-0001.png.6f23571e4ad8010aba40099f761c79da.png

New PB and first Killscreen!!!!

So excited dont think i will beable to sleep lol.

Great achievement!

I know you've been going at it for a long time. When did you start DK? How long until you were able to get past the 200-300K mark? How many months in total since your first game? New goal: 1 mil!

Congrats!

Congrats @Mameshane.

I stayed watching to the end, and I'm so happy that I did - well I was at the time, but after 5 hours sleep and work very shortly I'm not so sure :lol Was going to go to bed at 10pm, but kept watching, then a game got going and I couldn't stop watching. Not sure if you could go to sleep easily after that, I could feel the adrenalin running through me, bet you were feeling it way longer than me.

It was an epic accomplishment and a great last life that had everyone watching a little nervous.

So what happens now, will Allen practice and take back the crown? Will he produce a dodgy VHS recording at Netherworld this weekend that beats your score? And Shane, what was that gummy substance on your DK board and why did you have a box in the corner that was sent by Roy Schildt?

Pity about the filming at the end and the dropped frames :( I'm wondering if it was caused by moving the camera and your upload bandwidth not being able to handle the rapidly changing video feed and trying to compress/upload at the same time. No issue with it getting passed in DKF I'm sure, and hopefully we can convince the TG audience to yes vote this, even though in the old days it wouldn't pass. The new TG is a lot more forgiving.

Not that it will matter anyway, you'll be getting that 1mil sooner rather than later now as you can concentrate on point pressing. Soon you'll be nipping at Barra's heals.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]107538[/ATTACH]

You scored another 50K ... that's pretty good! ... :045:

- - - Updated - - -

... I really should get down into the shed more often as it feels more like the true arcade experience :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]107559[/ATTACH]

Totally agree with you, into the shed, jump, scram and shake it to improve on your DK score. That's the true arcade experience ... :026:

- - - Updated - - -

New PB and first Killscreen!!!!

901,400 ... so excited don't think I will be able to sleep lol.

What a great achievement, on a difficult game. Truly a game to remember and your first kill screen ...

Congratulations Mameshane ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MameshaneKS_901400_zpsqgsvjfok.png

Liked magrinder's questions ... and John73's well thought out controversy of achievement ...

So is Mameshane now the no.1 Donkey Kong player in Australia? ...

So what happens now, will Allen practice and take back the crown? Will he produce a dodgy VHS recording at Netherworld this weekend that beats your score? And Shane, what was that gummy substance on your DK board and why did you have a box in the corner that was sent by Roy Schildt?

Great write up ... :lol