Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Your Favourite Ways The Ball Rolls.

I'm after suggestions on playfield layout. There are many ways a ball can roll on a pinball but I want to know what parts of a layout you actually like. Not after "wizard mode on ***** but more something like, the right lanes behind the slingshot on Stern's Pinball Party or the waterfall lane on Paragon etc.

One of my favorites is how the ball goes up the left lane, travels right over the upper playfield, comes back down the right side and shoots back across the middle of the playfield on Bally's World Cup 94. The consequences of the shot aren't really important for this opinion piece, just the fact you like to see something the ball does on a machine.

Ramps on munsters especially the one that goes behind the pf. Always liked that concept

Any ramp that doesn't bloke the view by going over the playfield I like but the Munsters ramps do look very impressive...

- - - Updated - - -

Kick backs are AWESOME and I always love a good saucer or VUK shot.

I like a machine that stops the ball momentarily in a hole, saucer or VUK but through working on machines I learnt to hate the VUK solely based on reliability

- - - Updated - - -

Horse shoe on Swords of Fury

Yep that is a beautiful shot. Much better than the Bally SS version of the loop dead in the middle of the machine. Well designed to return the ball to the opposite flipper.

- - - Updated - - -

I love the behind the flipper to the inlanes on flintstones

I had to look this one up and that is one of the most innovative ways to get the ball to the other flipper without blocking the view of the playfield I have seen although I don't like the idea of having plastic in front of the arch. I think the same idea would have been better concealed inside the arch. Still, I really love that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Return gates on outlanes if you are brave enough to give it a nudge.

Also pop between flitters in Spanish Eyes.

Like on some Bally SS machines like Viking, Centaur etc?. I loved that idea when it came out.

- - - Updated - - -

Inner left orbit (Riot) on TWD. Kicker (War Machine) on IM. Right ramp on AS. Left orbit between pops on KISS. Outer loop on MDN.

Give me a chance, I need to watch a couple of YouTube gameplay videos to see those ones. They are all ones I can't recall off the top of my head.

I know many don't rate it...but flow on ramps and orbits on Tom...love it especially set up fast.

Another I need to look up I'm afraid. I think I will be busy tonight.

Some excellent ideas here boys and appreciate the responses. It is funny how some parts of a machine simply make you want to play it. When I was a kid playing it was any machine with a return gate on an outlane but then FirePower came out with a return kicker and that was magic but then it become mainstream and somewhat expected and the gloss wore off. Now days I think a machine with an old school return gate maybe dressed up a bit like a LED in the gate itself would have that massive impact again.

I feel somewhat the same with overhead ramps. Great when they first come out but now days I prefer more innovative ways that don't bloke the view.

Hold upper left flipper up and smash the ball in the camera shot with right upper flipper on Twilight Zone. By using 2 hands it's a very satisfying shot, plus the clunk as it lands in there.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Nothing beats a big bank of drop targets.

Lower playfield needs to be anything but the boring, predictable layout repeated ad nauseum since 1990. Throw a pop bumper in, uneven slingshots, zipper flippers, whatever. Just do SOMETHING interesting.

Growing up in a household that always had a snooker table, the deflection and position of the white ball always interested me in order to set up for the next shot.

Pinball layouts with good rebound shots have always drawn me to them, like hitting the mirror scoop off the superdog targets on Funhouse from lower left flipper.

Or the riot shot on TWD from the left flipper after glancing the well walker, there is heaps of other examples in older games too.

Deadpool also has the nice rebound shot up the center and then deflecting up the back left ramp.

A good pin playfield layout has me thinking 2 moves ahead, kinda like chess. IMLE does this for me. :D

Growing up in a household that always had a snooker table, the deflection and position of the white ball always interested me in order to set up for the next shot.

Pinball layouts with good rebound shots have always drawn me to them, like hitting the mirror scoop off the superdog targets on Funhouse from lower left flipper.

Or the riot shot on TWD from the left flipper after glancing the well walker, there is heaps of other examples in older games too.

Deadpool also has the nice rebound shot up the center and then deflecting up the back left ramp.

A good pin playfield layout has me thinking 2 moves ahead, kinda like chess. IMLE does this for me. :D

Your not the only one who has noticed the similarities between snooker and pinball its all about the angles

Some excellent ideas there. Here is one I have only ever seen used on Varkon where the ball appears to roll backwards on a ramp against the playfield angle...At 1.20 in the video it is a successful shot but at 2.55 it shows an unsuccessful shot where it demonstrates exactly the effect I'm talking about .....

Just something simple but something I haven't seen a ball appear to do before. There may be other machines that do do this but are probably hidden under plastics.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing beats a big bank of drop targets.

Lower playfield needs to be anything but the boring, predictable layout repeated ad nauseum since 1990. Throw a pop bumper in, uneven slingshots, zipper flippers, whatever. Just do SOMETHING interesting.

I can assure you I agree to every part of that except the pop bumper part. Just about every modern machine has pop bumpers that are only partially exposed. I would prefer to use a slingshot because the shots from a slingshot are far less obvious rather than a half of a pop bumper.

To me I see the rule has become in post 90s design, "where can we squeeze in the 3 pop bumpers?" and then we will cover them under plastics anyway.

Drop target banks are a must I think but taking it a bit further, the targets are not a direct shot from the flippers, you need to rebound the ball off a slingshot to hit the drops, aka pool table rebound shots, and heaven forbid, the slingshot kicker is at a 45 degree angle facing down the playfield not 45 degrees and facing up the playfield.

Idea being you shot the slingshot to rebound onto the target bank. You hit a drop target and the ball stops dead and drains safely below the target bank. If however you hit the bank where a target has already been dropped, the rubber behind the target bank returns the ball at the slingshot and the slingshot fires the ball back at your flippers.

BW ramp and hawkeye on Avengers that returns to left flipper, right ramp on twd is magic how the ball rolls to the bb then behind it. katana ramp shot on Deadpool is fantastic to watch. Meadows ramp on Sopranos is a beautiful shot too. Ramp to teeter totter on BDK. theres my top 5.. hmmm all ramps.

I love the shot on PinBot that goes up the raising/lowering ramp, travels across the top of the pf then drops onto the upper mini pf, where you can have a nudge-fest on the mini-pf posts to try and get it to return to the shooter lane for another skill shot.