Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGLXXXVIII - Game 6 ~ Bosconian (closes 13-Jan)

I always see these contests, but have no idea how you play them and what setup is needed to do so. I discovered this game ten years ago on a mini arcade that plugged into the TV and love it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Wazza.

Hi Wazza, do you have a PC at home or a notebook so you can load the MAME software?

1. If not, then get one.

2. Then download WolfMAME on your machine (I use the old 106 version)

3. Find the ROM for Bosconian (new version) from CoolXXX or XXXnation where XXX is a variable.

4. You can use the keyboard, but better is a joystick if you can get one.

5. Read the rules on the first page and set your game settings as per the first page of this thread.

6. Play like crazy and have fun, take a screenshot of your score, and post here for everyone to enjoy.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOO I think you misunderstood my intention, I meant when a game comes up in the MGL that is posted by you at the settings I enjoy that I might play it. I did not mean I would not play by your rules. Obviously you are still annoyed because I don't agree with some of the changes you made to the MGL, but I am not a troll and never have been, I'm just an old player that prefered the casual MGL as it was before. I didn't come back to drag up that past or to annoy anyone, just to play the occasional game.

Hi Andrew,

As I posted earlier, you are always welcome to play in the MGL. However please play at the settings of the game thread. As per the MGL rules, everyone else does play at the right settings and we do not want any confusion or complaints on who is or isn't playing at the right settings. This affects the scoreboard as well.

I'd like you to play all the games in the MGL, however you and all other gamers must follow the rules to post, not whatever rules or settings you want to use. Please follow this guideline if you want to play.

- - - Updated - - -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]140444[/ATTACH]

First real game I've had of Bosconian in quite some time. Will definitely be improving this.

Excellent on the plan. Your nomination came through and many gamers have said how much they are enjoying this game. Good nomination!

- - - Updated - - -

I'd read it as 5 live settings. Will change to marathon and try again though we're probably all chasing Barra on this game :lol

For marathon settings the screenshot in the first post should read:

Bonus Fighter 20K 70K 70K

Yes you're right. The screenshot I posted was not exactly correct. I have updated the pic and now it really is BLAST OFF!

Ok. Now, i am done. Personal best. I didn't know the levels stop counting at 99. I was on 12x and decided to end it. I wanted to see the 255+ level but this is like many patternable games it becomes a test against the will and i have nothing to gain or prove doing it. I know. I know. Then why type all this up. I don't know.

0000.png.ae7aeb13410ce74f580fe8e7efb02f76.png 0002.png.a3cd3b2e4b786bddebcdae1515a9d7cc.png

[ATTACH=CONFIG]140645[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]140644[/ATTACH]

.............. [ATTACH=CONFIG]140643[/ATTACH]

Nice score and very pretty space objects. They really look good for such a vintage game.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. Now, i am done. Personal best. I didn't know the levels stop counting at 99. I was on 12x and decided to end it. I wanted to see the 255+ level but this is like many patternable games it becomes a test against the will and i have nothing to gain or prove doing it. I know. I know. Then why type all this up. I don't know.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]140646[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]140647[/ATTACH]

That’s a terrific score Chris. This is a higher score than at Twin Galaxies by all players here including Barra. So why don’t you submit the game to Twin Galaxies for adjudication? You have been playing in the MGL for 9 months now and have not submitted any scores to Twin Galaxies? Why is that? Are you a MARP member and therefore won’t submit to TG? I don’t get it at all. I have asked BBH, The Pro and other MARP gamers to play in the MGL for a long time and they don’t show or even reply. Are there experts that just look at other people play, take their patterns and knowledge to post higher scores, like at MARP?

Is there stitching of INP files by some of the high profile gamers at MARP using save states? For example I saw one submission there where they played very ordinary, bordering on poorly as a novice for 20 minutes and then magically when it was a lot harder they were extraordinarily brilliant. Very dubious.

160K to the world record. Why don’t you go for it? You’re very very close :026:

Edited by OOO

Nice score and very pretty space objects. They really look good for such a vintage game.

- - - Updated - - -

That’s a terrific score Chris. This is a higher score than at Twin Galaxies by all players here including Barra. So why don’t you submit the game to Twin Galaxies for adjudication? You have been playing in the MGL for 9 months now and have not submitted any scores to Twin Galaxies? Why is that? Are you a MARP member and therefore won’t submit to TG? I don’t get it at all. I have asked BBH, The Pro and other MARP gamers to play in the MGL for a long time and they don’t show or even reply. Are there experts that just look at other people play, take their patterns and knowledge to post higher scores, like at MARP?

Is there stitching of INP files by some of the high profile gamers at MARP using save states? For example I saw one submission there where they played very ordinary, bordering on poorly as a novice for 20 minutes and then magically when it was a lot harder they were extraordinarily brilliant. Very dubious.

160K to the world record. Why don’t you go for it? You’re very very close :026:

I don't really have an answer for you. A lot of times when i start doing any INP i start playing above my skillset and i wind up restarting over and over and over and of course that one game where i say ef it and don't record - is the game i do well on.

I know when i was younger i picked up games quickly and would always see crazy competitions like the 10k Thunderforce tournament. I was too young to enter and on the opposite coast. For me, i was always more drawn to tournaments. I have always been a score whore but TG, MARP never really interested me. I stumbled upon RU and was depressed so i just made a goal to take down all the 1s on games i know i could get them on.

I don't want to give a half-baked answer of maybe i will because i wont if i say that.

I don't look at any replays or anything like that. As you can see with games like galaga or pacman i just suck and i refuse to copy others. Id rather learn it on my own. The only game i ever watched replays on was Tron. As for the MARP players i think many of them are legit. I do have my reservations on a few but i won't name, names and none are from the lot you mentioned but at the same time i couldn't care less.

Great score TIF, that will take some beating.

Didn't realise the level counter stopped at 99 either. Did you stop receiving extras after 2m too?

There's some info on CAGDC about stage 256, will see if I can dig it up. There's also one replay on MARP that got there