Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Bowland SA Masters Pinball Challenge 2018!! - Port Pirie

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the sounds of the IFPA rule changes the Flip Frenzy will have to be replaced by another format. Still considering what will be held on the Saturday night... open to suggestions if anyone has any ideas for something fun :)

update: Most likely this looks like being a Strikes tournament format.

Edited by razorsedge

What changes are those?

At least 3 non playing "officials" to oversee the proceedings to ensure no "1ball" games, just to begin with... (there seem to be a myriad of other changes too) .Changes are now in place apparently

This is the information provided to me in the last couple of days...

- - - Updated - - -

We've also been thinking about labelling the Bowland show "SA Masters" due to there likely being no SA Masters any other way, but we arent even in Adelaide (2hours north) and have no capacity for huge prizemoney... awesome venue though !!

Might still consider it if enough show interest, but we are rapidly running out of time though as well.... Bowland may consider extea hours Sunday if it were for this purpose, I dont know without asking.

There would at least be cool trophies! :)

... We've also been thinking about labelling the Bowland show "SA Masters" due to there likely being no SA Masters any other way, but we arent even in Adelaide (2hours north) and have no capacity for huge prizemoney... awesome venue though !!

Might still consider it if enough show interest, but we are rapidly running out of time though as well.... Bowland may consider extea hours Sunday if it were for this purpose, I dont know without asking.

There would at least be cool trophies! :)

Hey Ray,

Did you know that 'Masters', in the context/sense of 'SA Bowland Pinball Masters' is a third person verb relating to pinny players from all over AUS (and hopefully a few Kiwis too) getting together and playing pins for a weekend*, with somewhere along the line, one of them acquiring 'Master' control of the pins, and taking home a schmick trophy?

How good is that?

People don't rock up to Pinny comps because of 'verbs', they rock up 'cause of 'vibe'.

I don't know what kind of 'vibe' I have, however I'll gladly bring it (along with a few verbs, adjectives, contractions, contradictions, and expletives) to the '2018 SA Bowland Pinball Masters'.

In case you're interested, I simply see a 'verb' as a 'doing' word, and you (Ray) give off the vibe of somebody keen and able to do something.

Cheers,

G*

* Either can mean numerous things, or nothing at all

I'll have a chat to a few peeps in the next couple of days, let's see what we can come up with. It is going to take some collaboration between quite a few of us here in SA, including Adelaide folk. First thing will be coaxing Steve from Bowland into running additional hours on Sunday without it impacting our venue costs too much... Watch this space I guess ;)

Also, anyone thinking about this... do not overlook the fact that accommodation here can wind up Booked Out Wholesale overnight (for up to a month, even more) should the Smelter unexpectedly crap itself!! Lol

It is alot easier to book ahead then cancel, than to find yourself with Nowhere to stay!

Thanks for your feedback @G :cool:

:slamtilt:

G- you have a great vibe! As did your last Federal comps Ray - they were thoroughly enjoyable and I back you to run a helluva wk end (and I will do what I can to help ie scoring, whatever- I’m a mechanical moron so most people don’t let me touch their pins, heck I don’t even touch mine).

Screw big prize money - it’s all the same people who win it anyway (and deservedly - Peter and PJ you guys were amazing in Brisbane)!

Let’s put more into the pot to possibly extend the hours at Bowland on the Sunday?

Re: interstaters - if you can get to adelaide we could all drive a couple of you over to Pirie.

Agree with G- you’re a “do-er”, Ray.

As the great Ali G used to say: Respect.

If the weekend is extended to the Sunday the plan is to have a 3 Strikes tournament Saturday night, and the Flip Frenzy on Sunday instead of Saturday night. The first two would remain as they are. Just updating on what we are considering.

This change would mean an additional tournament for registration. The Best Game Card would remain Pay as you Play, and still $30 per tournament for the others. Entry for all 3 of the tournaments requiring registration would become $70 to cover costs and prizes.

I am going to present all of this to Steve at Bowland tomorrow, a portion of the additional entry fees will go to the venue for additional opening hours on the Sunday.

At this stage none of the registered players have paid their entry fees, so this change would not create too many complications.

The applications would have already been sent off by now, but due to considering hosting the SA Masters (just for 2018 due to the circumstances), I have held off. The event formats will be finalised and sent off in the coming week, so there is only a few days remaining if anyone wants to provide feedback or thoughts regarding the tournament formats.

Anyone already registered, along with those considering these events, please spread the word and let us know what you think!

Cheers!

...The event formats will be finalised and sent off in the coming week, so there is only a few days remaining if anyone wants to provide feedback or thoughts regarding the tournament formats...

My suggestion for this, and any other weekend long group of Tournaments is for a Pin-Golf comp (or two) to be slotted in during 'downtime'.

Basically anyone can complete the course/s at their leisure between 'Time X' on the Thu, until close of business on the Sat. Whenever a Pin-Golf machine is available... It's available.

Finals to be run first thing on Sun morning.

Comps leisurely structured like this will allow players to complete the course/s during Matchplay downtime, rather than folks having to wait an hour between rounds before Pete and PJ complete their two hour marathon rehearsal of the Finals (bastards)!.

Cheers,

G

My suggestion for this, and any other weekend long group of Tournaments is for a Pin-Golf comp (or two) to be slotted in during 'downtime'.

Basically anyone can complete the course/s at their leisure between 'Time X' on the Thu, until close of business on the Sat. Whenever a Pin-Golf machine is available... It's available.

Comps leisurely structured like this will allow players to complete the course during Matchplay downtime, rather than folks having to wait an hour between rounds before Pete and PJ complete their two hour marathon rehearsal of the Finals (bastards)!.

Cheers,

G

I assume you mean non IFPA golf then?

Currently there will be an unsanctioned round of Pingolf on the Friday afternoon, just for fun for anyone about the place and as an oppertunity to warm up :)

As far as I know we can't run IFPA events alongside each other, exclusion ... ?? ... still learning ... :P

Comps leisurely structured like this will allow players to complete the course during Matchplay downtime, rather than folks having to wait an hour between rounds before Pete and PJ complete their two hour marathon rehearsal of the Finals (bastards)!.

Cheers,

G

Pin-Golf (as well as any Best Game/Herb formats) require the scores to be verified in order for the qualifying portion of the tournament to count towards TGP. If players are completing the course "at their leisure", there'd need to be a whole lot of officials around to oversee and verify scores.

I assume you mean non IFPA golf then?

Currently there will be an unsanctioned round of Pingolf on the Friday afternoon, just for fun for anyone about the place and as an oppertunity to warm up :)

As far as I know we can't run IFPA events alongside each other, exclusion ... ?? ... still learning ... :P

You can have separate tournaments going on simultaneously. You just can't exclude someone from one tournament because they're playing in another.

You can have separate tournaments going on simultaneously. You just can't exclude someone from one tournament because they're playing in another.

I kind if figured it would be much simpler do run one thing at a time... it is going to be a bit of work just to do this Frenzy...

Pin-Golf (as well as any Best Game/Herb formats) require the scores to be verified in order for the qualifying portion of the tournament to count towards TGP. If players are completing the course "at their leisure", there'd need to be a whole lot of officials around to oversee and verify scores.

Don't 'buddies' and 'caddies' count as 'officials'/verification in the Pin-Golf format?

They have in almost all Pin-Golf Tourney's I've played in.

G

Don't 'buddies' and 'caddies' count as 'officials'/verification in the Pin-Golf format?

G

They need to be a "scorer" as far as I know... but golf and best card qualifying both require the same kind of attention.... mostly scorers.... scoring... for whichever.

Only if you're playing in assigned groups; not if you're playing with your actual buddies.

The verification requirement only came in at the start of last year.

The qualifying can change to 6-7 hours, with a Frenzy late Saturday arvo .... before the Strikes tourney in the evening.

:slamtilt:

- - - Updated - - -

So that would be then:

Friday 1pm-5pm Fun unsanctioned event -> "Heads Up" Two pairs of Arenas

Friday from 7pm Group matchplay without finals (4rounds of 3)

Saturday 9:30am-3:30pm Best Game Card Qualifying (now with Registration/cap)

Saturday 4pm-6pm Flip Frenzy

Saturday 7:30pm 4 Strikes

Sunday 10am Finals for Best Game (Main Event)

Sunday 10am Fun unsanctioned event -> "Heads Up" Two pairs of Arenas

- - - Updated - - -

Four Tournaments - $30 per tourney - $90 all in

+Fun Comp Warmup/down unsanctioned - $15 on arrival - no trophies

Edited by razorsedge

Okay, sanctioned PinGolf alongside everything else is going to be a bit much I think, for everyone...

First post is most of the way to being updated to the final arrangements... confirming a few things in the next day or two then the applications will be sent off.

I want to send out a Big Thanks to @G who has offered to come down a bit early and help out with running this show! . A big thanks also to all from the Adelaide crew who have offered up their assistance!!

Cheers Pinheads!!

Hi. I'm Steve at Bowland Port Pirie, looking forward to the weekend. We are a licensed venue but do have a limited range of alcohol, due to fridge space. If anyone has special requests please let me know and I will accommodate your desires. We also have a cafe with a range of food, menu will be posted soon.

Cheers!

- - - Updated - - -

A4 Menu..pdf

This is a pdf of our menu for you to download.

I think there should be Heads Up for the Novelty Events. We can choose between a number of titles between us, will have to decide on which two pairs...

Been playing a few "Heads Up" games with a mate tonight actually, and it was frigging Awesome!! :D