Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 17 - Nominate your games here

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I nominate these games

1. qbert

Might have to rig the randomizer to coincided with the "Bert*Off" that Twin Galaxies is running from the 14th of Feb.

Just had another game of it, I started playing after watching Ed Heemskirk attempt the Marathon WR last year but after probably 100+ games it appears that I am just missing the part of the brain that allows me to progress past level 4 on this game.... @!#?@! you Q*Bert. Still a fun game though.

We played QBert in an MGL 2 years or so ago maybe. Great game as long as you configure your controls to suit diagonal movement like the original game.

Brad

I have always played it with up down left right. how can u set it so it works on the diagonals?

We played QBert in an MGL 2 years or so ago maybe. Great game as long as you configure your controls to suit diagonal movement like the original game.

Brad

I'm keyboarding it, so I map my keys to ' / a and z which works nicely.

- - - Updated - - -

I have always played it with up down left right. how can u set it so it works on the diagonals?

You need to rotate the joystick to a 45 degree angle, which is probably a pain in the neck because it means drilling more mounting holes.

Just managed to up my high to 44K :cool: The game does my head in when you need to change square colours twice or when you get the on/off toggle squares.... get into a position to finish the screen and that stupid green bastard comes jumping down and messes everything up :realmad:

I'm keyboarding it, so I map my keys to ' / a and z which works nicely.

- - - Updated - - -

You need to rotate the joystick to a 45 degree angle, which is probably a pain in the neck because it means drilling more mounting holes.

Just managed to up my high to 44K :cool: The game does my head in when you need to change square colours twice or when you get the on/off toggle squares.... get into a position to finish the screen and that stupid green bastard comes jumping down and messes everything up :realmad:

ah ok. will stick with how I play now. u know u can capture the green guy and it freezes the other characters? yeah I think 40k is around my top so far..

• Administrators

In an original cab John they were mounted diagonally. No good for most of us though.

In mame you can actually map diagonals for movement which is perfect for QBert. Instructions in the old thread here: http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/38168-Mgl-12-game-2-Q*bert-finished

Courtesy of DKong:

1. In game press Tab and go into your Input settings ( This game )

2. Change

P1 Right to=Right Down

P1 Left to= Left Up

P1 Up to= Up Right

P1 Down= Down Left

The trick to do this is to do one movement quickly followed by the other ie for right press right then down quickly you should see right arrow down arrow. Make sure there is no "or" separating the movements as it will not work.

Works excellently :cool:

Cheers,

Brad

In an original cab John they were mounted diagonally. No good for most of us though.

In mame you can actually map diagonals for movement which is perfect for QBert. Instructions in the old thread here: http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/38168-Mgl-12-game-2-Q*bert-finished

Courtesy of DKong:

1. In game press Tab and go into your Input settings ( This game )

2. Change

P1 Right to=Right Down

P1 Left to= Left Up

P1 Up to= Up Right

P1 Down= Down Left

The trick to do this is to do one movement quickly followed by the other ie for right press right then down quickly you should see right arrow down arrow. Make sure there is no "or" separating the movements as it will not work.

Works excellently :cool:

Cheers,

Brad

cool will try this tonight after work.

That didn't even occur to me, I don't have a working cab to try this out on, but wouldn't this still be a bit like playing a 4 way game with an 8 way joystick? I'm utterly crap at Q*Bert so I doubt it would effect my scoring ability one way or the other really :lol

• Administrators
That didn't even occur to me, I don't have a working cab to try this out on, but wouldn't this still be a bit like playing a 4 way game with an 8 way joystick? I'm utterly crap at Q*Bert so I doubt it would effect my scoring ability one way or the other really :lol

It's definitely not perfect but it shits all over using it in STD mode as the movements on screen are naturally aligned with how you must move the joystick.

Brad

In an original cab John they were mounted diagonally.

Does anyone know if the original Congo Bongo machine also had the joystick at diagonal?

When I played this machine a long time ago, obviously using a Hankin or LAI machine, the stick was at standard orientation and very hard to play this way.

A diagonal setup like Q*bert would have been great for Congo Bongo.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/CongoBongo1_zps07359e50.jpg

• Administrators

Scratching the depths of my dim and dark memory I seem to recall that they did although in Australia I suspect that would have been hit or miss in our generic cabs with many just having PCBS swapped in and nothing else done.

Brad

MGL 17 - Nominate your games here

It's definitely not perfect but it shits all over using it in STD mode as the movements on screen are naturally aligned with how you must move the joystick.

Brad

I don't know if its my joystick or not. but I set it up as u described and it qbert would stick a lot when trying to change directions. so guess in stuck using it in standard mode for now.