Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

How to remove stubborn screws

I am trying to remove the flipper to replace it but I can't undo the screw that hold the shaft, as seen in the pic.

1843029044_2019-06-0118_59.29-Copy.thumb.jpg.67c7d6f4370b4e5cfcb06e03112c453a.jpg

I have sprayed WD40 on it during the day but it still won't budge.

I have also used a nail punch and hit it with a hammer, shock attack, no good.

I have heard of the left hand drill extractor bit, do they work ?

Any advice on how to remove them would be great.

btw, this is on a Gottlieb System 1 playfield.

When you get it out, put Allen bolts back in, there easier to remove later, a bigger Allen key size. You can grab the top to, if needed. I had the same problem on my Charlie’s. Now to remove the grub screw, just sell the machine to me and then it’s removed. Ha. Good luck Trev.[emoji2957][emoji2957]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I'll try out a few of those ideas tomorrow.

And, yes Wazza, I will be going to the Allen bolt as I have them on my JP & PP and they are easier to use. Not sure where to get them at the moment, will have to look them up.

Also, not sure where to get freeze spray?

Thanks guys, I'll try out a few of those ideas tomorrow.

And, yes Wazza, I will be going to the Allen bolt as I have them on my JP & PP and they are easier to use. Not sure where to get them at the moment, will have to look them up.

Edy knows, he has them.

• 2 weeks later...
When you get it out, put Allen bolts back in, there easier to remove later, a bigger Allen key size. You can grab the top to, if needed. I had the same problem on my Charlie’s. Now to remove the grub screw, just sell the machine to me and then it’s removed. Ha. Good luck Trev.[emoji2957][emoji2957]

Any idea what size thread it is? Do you just get allen bolts from bunnings?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

No idea about thread sizes, but I think anyone who sells them. There are but and bolt places around that can supply with a sample. Eg; the grub screw out of it. I have a couple in a machine, but I didn’t buy them. I think @Dedrok has some and might know where to buy.

The parts manual says they should be #10-32 X 3/8 Hex Head Cup Point set screw.

So hopefully when I go to my local fasteners shop they will have them.

I think they will probably be imperial as well.

The parts manual says they should be #10-32 X 3/8 Hex Head Cup Point set screw.

So hopefully when I go to my local fasteners shop they will have them.

I think they will probably be imperial as well.

So if there in the book, why do they use those shitty grub screws?

I am trying to remove the flipper to replace it but I can't undo the screw that hold the shaft, as seen in the pic.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=148915

I have sprayed WD40 on it during the day but it still won't budge.

I have also used a nail punch and hit it with a hammer, shock attack, no good.

I have heard of the left hand drill extractor bit, do they work ?

Any advice on how to remove them would be great.

btw, this is on a Gottlieb System 1 playfield.

Early games had them.

If you can’t get them out, you have to cut them out with hacksaw blade.

Cut shaft and replace flipper.

Easy outs don’t always work.

Coil stop hex head screws will replace them, not 100% on sizes though.

Check your Flipper kits people.

Checked my joker poker i got 3 out of 4 out easily. pbr flipper rebuild kit had some phillips head coil stop screws that are the same thread. So will swap these with hex or allen bolts. If you cut the shaft with hacksaw the grub screw is still stuck in there and youd have to replace the whole thing?...

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

I get replacement "cap screws" that are #8-32 and #10-32 from this place.....

http://www.southernfasteners.com.au/screws-bolts-nuts-washers-sockets-supplier

Pretty local to you mate and they always seem to have the right length I'm after.

The internal grub screws are a great idea because it is less weight for the flipper coil to have to move but being blind holes, once the Allen key goes in, you have no idea if the Allen key tip has actually gone fully in the hole. Someone trys using an Allen key not fully in the hole and the problem starts rounding out the end of the Allen key hole and usually the tool itself. Now you can never get an Allen key fully in that hole again. That is the downfall of all Allen key design unless you can see the hole and take the time to check the tool is fully inserted which sometimes means cleaning crap out of the hole.

Grub screws are when the head is the same size as the threaded section of the bolt.

Cap screws are when the head is larger the thread.;)

Pretty local to you mate and they always seem to have the right length I'm after.

Grub screws are when the head is the same size as the threaded section of the bolt.

Yep, that's the place i always go to, cheaper and better range than bunnings.

The internal grub screws are a great idea because it is less weight for the flipper coil to have to move but being blind holes, once the Allen key goes in, you have no idea if the Allen key tip has actually gone fully in the hole. Someone trys using an Allen key not fully in the hole and the problem starts rounding out the end of the Allen key hole and usually the tool itself. Now you can never get an Allen key fully in that hole again. That is the downfall of all Allen key design unless you can see the hole and take the time to check the tool is fully inserted which sometimes means cleaning crap out of the hole.

You can buy the replacement pawl if needed but they don’t come in the kits.

WPC or Williams kits have the hex head coil stop bolt.

The grub screws are a tiny Allen key size so applying pressure can snap the key.

Bolts with the Allen Key hex head are larger sized Allen Key size.

You can buy the replacement pawl if needed but they don&#8 217;t come in the kits.

WPC or Williams kits have the hex head coil stop bolt.

The grub screws are a tiny Allen key size so applying pressure can snap the key.

Bolts with the Allen Key hex head are larger sized Allen Key size.

Yer I nearly suggested using WPC bolts. I also have #8 and #10 taps for retapping the threads. Funny, I bought them for making my own flipper base plates both Bally SS and Williams but now that I have made all I'm planning on needing, they are getting used for everything with these threads and it is amazing how much some threads are gummed up. Something I guess you don't have an issue with when you buy brand new parts but I see no reason to change parts that are not damaged or worn out plus I don't believe all the new parts are always as good as the originals quality wise.

Yeah I clean, keep or use old parts that are still good.

Make up bags of spares for all different makes.

It got me through the last week.

If the Grub Screws are OK then I re use them. If one is ruined by non fitting key attempts then I grab a spare to replace it.

If they are ruined beyond reuse then swap out to hex head.

If they are in doable, out with the hacksaw.

Thought I’d clarify that “hex head” means Allen Key Bolts and that a “Hexagon Headed Flat Bolt” is a “Bolt”

Thought I’d clarify that “hex head” means Allen Key Bolts and that a “Hexagon Headed Flat Bolt” is a “Bolt”

I got corrected on the terms when I first started buying them from the suppliers. I would walk in and ask for Hex headed bolt and they would say you mean a cap screw...WTF...A screw is a thread with a taper my thinking was but they call them cap screws so that is what I ask for and then specify, countersunk, button, pan or barrel head.