Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Slimline Defender-esque upright

So after a long time lurking in the forum and getting easily distracted every time I saw something that took my interest, I have finally decided that enough is enough and time to get something built.

The plan is something quite simple - Bartop powered by a Raspberry Pi with controls for two players. Since I want to relive my youth and lose hours playing Double Dragon, SF2, Golden Axe etc it doesn't have to be the fastest thing on the planet - hence the use of the pi.

My ideas around a shopping list are:

• A ready to assemble cab
  • 2 Joysticks
  • 6 buttons per player
  • Coin button
  • 4 'other' buttons
  • Raspberry Pi 2 or 3 with appropiate sized SD card
  • iPac 2 encoder or 2 Zero Delay encoders
  • Speakers and Amp
  • T-Moulding

Anything that I am missing?

Edited by Xxalxx
Changed title

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't bother with a Pi 2 (not sure if they're still available). Just go with a Pi 3 and you're covered (also has wifi and bluetooth should you ever want to use a wireless controller with it).

As far as SD card goes, size you need will depend on what you want to play. If you're planning to play Playstation or Sega-CD games, you'll want at least a 64Gb card, maybe even 128Gb if you want a good selection of games. If you're only interested in arcade and (non-CD based) consoles a 32Gb should do the job.

Glass, monitor, power packs, powerboard, led light for marquee if you want that. Start button, but you can use one of the 4 other buttons

Ahh yes, some basics there that had slipped my mind :)

I do already have a roll of 12v LED's that I used for my 3d printers, so sorted on that part, and I have a couple of monitors stashed at work.

Glasswise - is it normal to use perspex? (do they sell it at Bunnings??)

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't bother with a Pi 2 (not sure if they're still available). Just go with a Pi 3 and you're covered (also has wifi and bluetooth should you ever want to use a wireless controller with it).

As far as SD card goes, size you need will depend on what you want to play. If you're planning to play Playstation or Sega-CD games, you'll want at least a 64Gb card, maybe even 128Gb if you want a good selection of games. If you're only interested in arcade and (non-CD based) consoles a 32Gb should do the job.

Yeah make sense to just get a Pi3 - I won't be looking at P2 games etc so the smaller one will be fine.

Perspex may be easier to work with and won't break easily if you accidentally drop it, it's also much lighter than glass.

I've seen acrylic sheeting (perspex) at Bunnings, but you have to buy a big sheet. Check out any number of plastic suppliers, they can cut it to size for you and shouldn't be more than $10. 2mm thickness is all you'd need.

If you go Perspex be careful on the chemical you use and the cloth. I've have two machines that come with Perspex and were scratched beyond the point of use IMO. Most of these arcades things there will be 2-3 ways of doing things all with merits.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Whilst I am waiting for things to arrive- hardware side - and mulling over wether or not to just look around for a flat pack barter (cheap ofc!) I have started building a custom Retropie + Attract Mode image on the Pi2 I already have. Downloaded a 128GB file for the artwork etc.

Mounted it on my Mac, and been extracting the contents of the linux ext4 partition for 8.5 hours now .......

Yeah I have watched a number today, I am trying to create my own image with only the content I want. No need for 128gb of things if 99% of it is just stuff I will never use

Sent from my iPad using Aussie Arcade

Which do you think is best in the long run :

1. Sheet of MDF over the monitor with a hole cut out for the screen, or

2. Sheet of Arcylic/Glass with the non monitor part sprayed black on the reverse?

Beginning to think that #2 would be the best solution for ease of use and overall look, but am not 100% sure I have thought about it correctly

I was looking around and saw the Slimline defender cab by Gajaman on arcade controls and decided I liked the idea of something like that over the bartop idea. So as there was no plans available I found the defender cab base plans online and am creating my own version of a slim line build:

3D Project - http://a360.co/2k6ckNh

923847258_ScreenShot2017-02-10at11_17_04am.thumb.png.418cc983ad6a6caf8d60e2c3cf3a0a80.png