Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 31 - Game 5 ~ Astro Invader ~ [FINISHED]

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bright happy colours, simple strategy, classic sounds, this is what I love about retro gaming, same goes for Moon Patrol two classics ATM.

Are we into tips week here? I seem to notice more 400pt ships if I shoot them high before they clear the columns but that could be conformation bias and I don't have time to do stats. Does anyone know about that or other strategies?

Bright happy colours, simple strategy, classic sounds, this is what I love about retro gaming, same goes for Moon Patrol two classics ATM.

Are we into tips week here? I seem to notice more 400pt ships if I shoot them high before they clear the columns but that could be conformation bias and I don't have time to do stats. Does anyone know about that or other strategies?

Shoot the UFOs at 4,8,12,16 shot intervals to get 200/300/400 points. I hit 25k last time this game came up, right now I'm rusty and have managed 10k gonna practice a bit more.

Oh and that's he first UFO should be shot at bullet 15 for some reason.

An Astro Invader cabinet makes a brief appearance in the video clip for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers song 'You Got Lucky'.

Unfortunately Tom does not appear to be a keen arcade gamer and is pretty rough on the cabinet.

Astro Invader makes an appearance at the 3:36 mark of the video.

Edited by bigredbird

Thanks for that - I know the song well but never would have recalled and put this game together with the video.

Side note song is called "You Got Lucky"

I'm actually going to see Tom Petty in both Boston and CT in a few months..

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

An Astro Invader cabinet makes a brief appearance in the video clip for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers song 'You Got Lucky'.

Unfortunately Tom does not appear to be a keen arcade gamer and is pretty rough on the cabinet.

Astro Invader makes an appearance at the 3:36 mark of the video.

Nice pickup. Thanks for posting. Did not know about this game in the video. Look what happens when the game is too hard ... :lol

Day 7 ...

Here are the early results for this game ... Aliens 1,270,000 points ... Earthlings 157,270 points ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/AstroInvad1_zpsozx7ibj5.png

10 days to go ...

Edited by OOO

0008.png.e066fe3d109c16f92b272f030746efec.png

- - - Updated - - -

Some tips:

To get the 400 bonus:

• Hit the UFO on the 16th shot (excluding the first UFO, which you hit with the 15th shot)
  • Your shots don't have to hit anything. The count carries over when you die.
  • If you hit on the 4th, 8th, or 12th shot, you'll get 200 and 300 points.
  • If you don't know where you are in the count, hit each UFO on the 15th shot and eventually you'll catch back up to the count.

Some other stuff:

The UFOs appear in a pattern of 16. The pattern is CLRCRCLCCRLCRRLL

The pattern resets when you die.

The pattern that the astro invaders take into each column is different between odd and even numbered waves.

Odd numbered waves; they fall in a pattern-like motion from left to right and vice versa. This makes it much easier and predictable

Even numbered waves; they fall on the same side of the screen that the player is. This can make it very difficult to get out of the corners.

The strategy for even-numbered waves is to know where the next UFO is coming from, and camp (while shooting) on the opposite side. That way, when it appears you have a clear path over to the other side (and back again if you shoot a couple on the way, and are fast enough). Anticipation is key here.

For straight survival: Just keep the middle columns clear so you have a bit of freedom in the middle of the screen. At first just try keeping track of the UFOs so you can anticipate them.

Keeping the count and tracking the UFOs at the same time is the biggest challenge with this game. If done correctly you can get 5k per wave.

Hope that helps :)

I know I can do better... though I may need to print that UFO order on A3, one letter per page, and stick on the wall behind my laptop! But I might just run out of wall...

Its actually not hard to remember if you segment it: CLR CR CL CC RLC RR LL

:)