Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

What retro stuff did you add to your stash this week?

I found a boxed Virtua Racing for mega drive in the back of my cupboard on the weekend. I remember as a kid thinking it had cutting edge graphics, hmmm not so much now. Still fun though!!

It's still an impressive port given the hardware in the SMD, even with the boost from the SVP :)

A few goodies arrived in the post today which made me smile - Lufia 2 (PAL/SNES), Final Fantasy 2 (US/SNES) and Final Fantasy 3 (US/SNES), all cart-only (can't justify the cost on boxed copies and the cart-only option takes up less space!). They're part of my recent nerd-buy, which I'll post some pics of once everything's made its way to their new home in the nerd room :)

Today's pick-up from the post office. Very happy :)

image-3683270522.jpg.ac33297f0ba339b645d427c5e8e395d3.jpg

Thank you Hollo and a couple of other sources.

image-1639735852.jpg.f7135e1e3aef40f48074f305a446184d.jpg

That now completes the 64DD collection. Finally.

image-332776164.thumb.jpg.ee4c56d2a3865dee0ae11e7543c13d7a.jpg

Kramer VP27 - my new switcher for composite, s-video and VGA with shared audio out. Grt idea. Also another scart switcher.

Bank balance a lot poorer :( but smile a lot bigger.

Great haul mckie1!

Can you tell me more about that SCART switcher, I'm after one myself. Where did you get it from, how much, fully wired, work well etc? I've seen the cheapies on eBay but have heard bad things about them, like them not being fully wired and losing power if you connect more than one device.

Great haul mckie1!

Can you tell me more about that SCART switcher, I'm after one myself. Where did you get it from, how much, fully wired, work well etc? I've seen the cheapies on eBay but have heard bad things about them, like them not being fully wired and losing power if you connect more than one device.

I have four of them now. I plan on using two together for non-crt req. ones (light gun ones) through a rgb scart - component transcoder. Also available from where i got the switcher.

The other two will again be linked together for crt light gun consoles/games.

The scart commander can be bought in a single or double pack and can link together no prob. They have a remote for manual switching but also have auto switching. All you need to do is either use an adapter for the UK plug or buy a local psu.

They are not cheap, bout 99GBP each plus shipping. http://Www.keene.co.uk but hands down better than all the others i have tried. Quite heavy and well made.

Bought the switchers, kramer switcher and transcoders from them. Also psu tip pack. They sell a tip pack for dc psu's - about 15 in one box. I grabbed these for my sgx and super cd-rom.

Very quick service and cheaper than Aust prices for kramer.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

And yes fully wired.

Hey, with your region modded Mega Drive, are you able to alter the region of the MCD as well? I ask as I have a weird Asian PAL Mega Drive and when I hook this up to my Japanese NTSC Mega CD it reverts to PAL, not sure if it breaks the region locking making PAL games load though.

Frank I have tried the MCD with an NTSC disk with the MD2 switched to 60Hz and it came up with a message something like "Mega-CD locked to PAL/SECAM regions, unable to play NTSC region discs".

I did some research and found that the BIOS inside the MCD will only have 1 of the 3 regions, so am looking into the MCD BIOS mod that adds on to give you the 3 regions.

Now just have to find somewhere to get a BIOS chip done with the code inserted and the socket to mount it.

Found details on MMMonkey site for the Multibios mod at http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/megacd.htm.

Frank I have tried the MCD with an NTSC disk with the MD2 switched to 60Hz and it came up with a message something like "Mega-CD locked to PAL/SECAM regions, unable to play NTSC region discs".

I did some research and found that the BIOS inside the MCD will only have 1 of the 3 regions, so am looking into the MCD BIOS mod that adds on to give you the 3 regions.

Now just have to find somewhere to get a BIOS chip done with the code inserted and the socket to mount it.

Found details on MMMonkey site for the Multibios mod at http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/megacd.htm.

I use the tototek megacart but I believe one of krikzz everdrive's may also help if the mod too expensive/difficult.

I've been thinking about getting one of Krikzz's Everdrive carts just for the sake of region free Mega-CD, the older affordable one though, the newer one is too many $$$'s for my liking. On a similar note, I'm VERY excited about his upcoming PCE flash cart, and this one will be reasonable priced at around $78 - finally, a decent PCE flash cart.

P.s. Thanks for the link to those switchers. :)

I've been thinking about getting one of Krikzz's Everdrive carts just for the sake of region free Mega-CD, the older affordable one though, the newer one is too many $$$'s for my liking. On a similar note, I'm VERY excited about his upcoming PCE flash cart, and this one will be reasonable priced at around $78 - finally, a decent PCE flash cart.

P.s. Thanks for the link to those switchers. :)

No prob about link.

I am also hanging out for the pce everdrive as the neoflash ones i have don't work due to voltage issues with my sgx and the reset buttons get in the way of the LA pacs :(

There's a link to the bios files somewhere on one of Krikzz's forums, can't seem to find it now though. I've got all the files which I use in an emulator, but I'm pretty sure they need to be patched or something to work correctly in the everdrive.

Thanks Frank and MJ for the help with the MCD Bios.

Got it to play the NTSC games, but now I have to do the Colour Correction mod for colour to work for a NTSC disc on 60Hz.

Now to find a Crystal to suit.

Seems your lucks still running hot.

I know, it's totally nuts how thick and fast I am finding stuff at the moment. The wife is really starting to freak about it now though..... I think it might have been the Pachislo that was the tipping point. :D

Ive got one of those in its original shipping box brand new with the extra R7 pack of goodies.

Nice console.

What other R7 stuff can you get for them? I doubt I will be going nuts trying to get everything for it - too damn pricey for me, but knowing what to look out for just in case would be cool.