Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Looking for Convergence Strips

buttersoft

Question

EDIT: So I should note that while i rag on the use of convergence strips at one point in this thread, they actually work really well. The key is to make sure you insert them deep enough under the yoke - they should be at least 12cm long - and then wiggle them around a bit to see the effect they have. You can make some yourself from any thin piece of something magnetically permeable (permalloy, mu-metal), magnetic, or magnetically susceptible (the last meaning ferrous, really), listed there in order of effectiveness, stuck onto the end of a thin, flexible plastic strip about 6mm wide. I hear a little chunk of snap-off box-cutter blade works fine. Remember though, that setting up your tube properly to begin with is a better idea - you only use the strips to correct dynamic (corner) convergence when the setup leaves a few imperfections.

I'm going to have to perform some convergence correction, and was wondering about those little permalloy strips you see stuck in around the yoke. Anyone know a place to pick those up, or what can be used as a substitute, given permalloy is really expensive and mu-metal's almost as bad? Can you get that stuff cheap from anywhere?

I've also heard some people use little strips of fridge magnet? Or is that a bad idea.

Any info or tips appreciated :)

Edited by buttersoft

This sorted out all of my convergence and purity issues once and for all and gives a crisper picture without using dangerous high voltages and impossible to obtain spare parts.

Yes BUT, these game look better with a less crisp picture, disguising their modest resolution, our blacks don't glow, our colour is so vibrant we can choose to put a tinted plexi in front or not, our scanlines look better (because we have them), we can hear that the machine is on and taunting us to fiddle with it and it's dangerously high voltage, the challenge of keeping it working is a badge of honor to the hobby - plus we have @Jomac and we can also balance our beer on its descendants.

8f5988365ed388e947f7dbd721f38502.jpg

Yes BUT, these game look better with a less crisp picture, disguising their modest resolution, our blacks don't glow, our colour is so vibrant we can choose to put a tinted plexi in front or not, our scanlines look better (because we have them), we can hear that the machine is on and taunting us to fiddle with it and it's dangerously high voltage, the challenge of keeping it working is a badge of honor to the hobby - plus we have @Jomac and we can also balance our beer on its descendants.

8f5988365ed388e947f7dbd721f38502.jpg

Working with CRTs is one of the best parts of this hobby. I often turn all my machines on and stand there with a beer, just basking in the warm CRT glow :) When non-arcade friends come around, they always marvel at the CRTs and how good they look.

So.... can anyone source some for me? Otherwise i'll have to start going through e-waste dumpsters for old sets, and the wife hates that with a passion :)

I found a dozen out of 2 x TVs last week. A Sony had 9 believe it or not)

You will need to reapply tape etc & clean

Send me a PM, and I will do my best to get them to you this week (Laid out right now - sore back)