Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Babystar arcade - DISK BOOT FAILURE

jestersdream

Question

Hello,

I'm new to the Forum and just bought my first arcade cabinet. I'm running into some trouble with the thing and I was wondering if you could help.

It is an xxxx in 1 babystar machine. It was working fine until it started getting disk boot failure's. At first it was happening sometimes but now it happens every time I start up.

arcade_1.thumb.jpg.cc060c54175e9247f7228fe82297aaf3.jpg

I read that it might be resolved by changing the boot sequence, however I did not have any success with this.

arcade_BIOS.thumb.jpg.aa20f49a0b6f9fd1bcc8c39ceadcaa68.jpg

arcade_inside.thumb.jpg.9098c10a77bcc8f2d00c3886ae706117.jpg

If you guys have any suggestion they would be welcome. Thanks!

15 answers to this question

SOLVED my issue!  On a whim, against all Google advice, I replaced the bios battery. Started 1st go.  All these years without a machine and all the PC forums suggesting bios battery only keeps the time/ date settings…. Well nope, it also stops your device from booting.   Regards 

F3A5C41B-29DD-400C-9BBD-4C9F15C3C7A7.jpeg

• Like 2

• Administrators

That first screenshot shows that the system cannot even see any drives.

Either the Hard Drive in this unit is dead or you have a loose drive connection. I have no idea how these systems are made up, just looking at that tells me it's essentially a PC so check connections first. That MAY solve your problem but if it's dead HDD, pretty much easier to by another jamma multi-board.

Since this is your first cab I'm assuming you had it transported? Maybe the HDD connection came loose

Just looking at image 3. That ribbon cable is possibly the culprit? IDE connection from motherboard to HDD. Can't see where the other end plugs into

Brad

• Super Moderator

Hard drive failure ,pretty common on these because of the way they shutdown

you will need to get another hard drive ,dont bother trying to reload an image onto your existing one.

this thread here might help

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/49812-Customised-HDD-image-for-xxxx-1-systems-inc-Laserdisc-Games-anyone-want-one

Is that difficult to do? It just so happens I have a temperamental one at the moment that occasionally decides to show disk error.

Changing the drives involves taking the top board off and unplugging the drive, removing the screws(there are little rubber spacers on each screw between the drive and board so be careful not to lose those as they provide a bit of shock absorption) Fit the replacement and plug it all back in.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Thanks but I meant the IDE to SD, hows that done?

You need to get sd to Ide adapter on ebay. The 40 pin ones, not the 44.

The drives on the 2019 machines are usually 40 gig so you'll need a 64 gig sd card.

Then you can clone the original drive onto the sd.

The adapters are about $10 on fleebay

You need to get sd to Ide adapter on ebay. The 40 pin ones, not the 44.

The drives on the 2019 machines are usually 40 gig so you'll need a 64 gig sd card.

Then you can clone the original drive onto the sd.

The adapters are about $10 on fleebay

Or the other thing you can buy are sata to Ide adapters(about $4 on ebay).

Then you can use any sata drive

G’day folks,

Apologies to bump this old thread, but I thought it best than to start a new one on exactly same problem.

I’ ve got an arcade machine that I purchased brand new many years ago for many $$$, it’s one of those multi ones, arcade cocktail thingy.  I would have been lucky to have used it 100 times before I got the same issues the OP of this thread posted, boot disk failure. For years,  it has been nothing more than a dust collector and coffee table until now, running out of things to do in lockdown.  So before sending it to tip, thought I would try and do something about it and attempt to fix it.  Bit of background, I contacted the original supplier years ago, they wanted to me send the “box” back and suggested $900 would get it going again and I politely declined.  
Today I decided to open it up and see if I could get into the bios and randomly change things to see if I could jolt it back into life. I was also hoping it may have a drive to insert a windows disk, to see if that would boot it, but nothing.  Cracked it open, got a keyboard onto it and got into bios and nothing has changed the situation, then I thought, hell, I diagnose everything else including cures for COVID on Google, why not try for this and low and behold, I stumble onto this excellent forum with many more knowledgeable people than I particularly about arcade machines.  SO, can you please help a Gumby like me and tell me what I need to do?  I know what a HDD is and RAM and I can build a basic PC, just like clicking lego together, but that is my level of skill.  I have just learnt (basic) about Jamma boards.

So here are some photos of my machine.  I believe I need a new Hdd.  What I need to know is (is that correct - a new HDD) what type of plug mine has (sata or other) and are there any vendors associated with this forum to buy through or is eBay the place?  Remember, I am a Gumby, simple language for me.  Thank you in advance if we get this machine going.  My budget is minimal (unfortunately).  Oh and I have wiggled all the cables and checked the connections.

cheers

C6FAB40D-2F97-4527-9C3E-93392EE7FAFB.jpeg

78C74C55-AA58-4A5F-B746-AFFC6584DE2C.jpeg

76BDE113-6172-4F8A-9D9D-250786191E10.jpeg

9FA56B32-7B2E-4948-9770-4580DB77E77B.jpeg

08409E0F-3C7D-4958-A306-CF02D63BCC28.jpeg