Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Sega Outrun upright resto

So the start of another resto!

Finally had time to make a start on the Outrun I picked up

Overall the condition seemed good just needed a good clean etc

I got it untested with a board and also a Outrun turbo board as well

Not a good start when I fired it up – Nothing … but the board did have power and so did the monitor

I then tried the board via a converter board on a lcd and still nothing coming to the conclusion the board is faulty

So next was the Outrun turbo board so I put that on the LCD and Yippee it worked so next step was to put it in the cab and try the monitor

All good it worked! – Surprisingly the monitor looks good – nice colour and bright just needs fine tuning and degaussing

The other problem that came up was no sound – Not realizing it came with a sound amp board that was in the coin box I figured out the unplugged wiring and hooked it up – Still nothing

Also only one speaker was wired up not both as I think it has stereo sound??

Next was to check the speakers so I put in a spare one and it worked! So new speakers are on the list

Also the steering had a broken spring on one side but it came with spares so that was an easy fix

I don’t know if the shaker motor for the steering works as I read somewhere it doesn’t work with a turbo board ?? And also the turbo button uses the start button but that didn’t work either

So overall Im happy so far except for the non working Outrun board which if anyone out there knows anyone that can take a look let me know as I would prefer to have that running in it

Next is on to the outside of the cabinet

20190510_170040.thumb.jpg.6a38974e9e7a0424beff58e5dc5fa6cf.jpg20190510_170054.thumb.jpg.b97f972006c954bbdad5374a717fd56c.jpg

20190510_170102.thumb.jpg.b430b3058697fb0a75a3a90778958315.jpg20190510_170024.thumb.jpg.2fc75aed04ed5385e811173a3da4bd8d.jpg

20190510_165859.thumb.jpg.eeaf0efc98573de3b854e060084931ac.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I ended up getting the board fixed (Thanks to Jomac) and it all works great

Even the steering shaker motor which took me by surprise- Its got some serious shake!

Now Im not sure about the gear shift as it seems to play the same on either high or low with getting up to speed

No difference accelerating in either low or high

By the look of it when you put it low it activates the microswitch but nothing seems to happen (ie slow down etc)

If anyone else has an outrun let me know how theirs work and is wired up (see pic)

20190625_154855.thumb.jpg.5cdcd659c5f0c08420f9fd2e45c4d8cd.jpg

Also with the screen this cabinet had a perspex cover over the screen and bezel area which I took off as it was scratched and dirty

Good thing was it protected the map diagram art but I have noticed on other cabs that some had glass between the screen and silver silver bezel surround

Would like to know what others have or have seen

• Like 1

Now Im not sure about the gear shift as it seems to play the same on either high or low with getting up to speed

No difference accelerating in either low or high

By the look of it when you put it low it activates the microswitch but nothing seems to happen (ie slow down etc)

If anyone else has an outrun let me know how theirs work and is wired up (see pic)

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=149683

Looks like its hooked up to the normally closed pin, maybe try normally open.

Have you checked the microswitch?

No glass over the CRT as far as I remember. I'd say operator installed but i may be wrong. Been years since I worked on an Outrun upright. What I do remember though is the steering wheel shaker assembly destroying the wood it is mounted to.

This seems like a good relevant thread to post Spacies Arcade video on his own Outrun cabinet restoration; maybe it'll inspire more people such as yourself. :) There's some good detail in there.

Thanks

I did see that and thats where I found out that Jomac fixes Outrun boards

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like its hooked up to the normally closed pin, maybe try normally open.

Have you checked the microswitch?

I have checked using another switch and also tested it in the input diagostic test and still nothing

Its saying high gear is on which I assume stays on until low gear is selected by activating the switch??

20190626_104946.thumb.jpg.428a8863531bfc7f376916cd0047301e.jpg

What I meant was have you checked the switch with a multimeter?

Is the switch setup on n/o or n/c?

Sorry Yes did test it and basically bang on 5v and tested on both n/o and n/c (middle pin is common) still nothing

Another thought - would it have anything to do with the accelerator pedal as I just noticed that I cant enter initials when the game finishes

I press on the pedal to enter and nothing ??

Yes as far as I can tell they are both connected

Ok so from memory 505 is ground???

Anyway check one of the wires is connected to ground otherwise it won’t work

Outrun has this weird setup with multiple grounds on the connector but they should be all joined anyway

Ok so from memory 505 is ground???

Anyway check one of the wires is connected to ground otherwise it won’t work

Outrun has this weird setup with multiple grounds on the connector but they should be all joined anyway

Not sure what you mean by 505 but I can run a bypass wire to a ground and see if that works

• 11 months later...

Update

So the issue with the Hi / low was actually on the board

The only reason I found out was I was having some colour / missing picture issues with the outrun so I swapped in the Turbo outrun board I have to see if that worked

and noticed the Hi low worked on that

So thanks (again) to Jomac the board got the graphics issue and the gear select sorted and now its running great

So now I can start on some cosmetic issues and clean up the cabinet

• 7 months later...

Update -

I ended up sending the board to Jomac and he got it sorted

The issue with the gear shift was a board issue

Still plays great with everything working as it should just needs some cosmetic touch ups which i will get to sometime

• Like 2

• 3 months later...