Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Southern Hemisphere Pinball Championships - Sponsored by Hallertau Beer!

20/08 Update: I'm pleased to announce that Hallertau, one of NZ's leading brewers, is coming on board as the principle sponsor of the Southern Hemisphere Pinball Championships.

More details of the sponsorship will be announced next week.

Thanks to Hallertau for their generous sponsorship!

Press Release

IFPA Australia and IFPA New Zealand announce the launch of what we hope will become the biggest pinball tournament series ever seen "down under" ...

The Southern Hemisphere Pinball Championships

The top pinball players from Australia and New Zealand will gather to battle for pinball supremacy. Players from around the globe are also invited to attend.

This event will alternate annually between Auckland, New Zealand, and Sydney, Australia, and be run in the month of October.

The inaugural event will be held at the RD Arcade, located south of Auckland, and run over 2 1/2 days, starting on Friday the 19th of October, 2018 (Labour Weekend in NZ)

There will be 3 large tournaments (edit: now 4!) run over the weekend, culminating in the main Southern Hemisphere Pinball Championship.

These events will rival some of the larger competitive pinball competitions on the planet, and are an awesome opportunity for local players to experience competitive pinball at the highest level.

All queries can be directed to:

NZ: David Peck dave@pinballarcade.co.nz

AUSTRALIA: Dan Robar ausifpa@gmail.com

- - - Updated - - -

This is something I have been thinking about for a while.

Its been my (and Dans) desire to hold a "major" pinball event down under for some years.

Dan has always held hopes of us holding the IFPA World Championship, and there has been some discussions about having it at my place in Pukekohe.

However, Josh (and I agree with him) feels that most top players won't make the expensive trip to play in the comp. I concur ... you'd get a few, but the vast majority would not come.

Sooooooooo .... We decided to make our own MAJOR EVENT!

As stated above, the event will alternate between Pukekohe and Sydney (to be held in a yet un-named venue, but planning is well underway)

What I wanted to do is to give you all a big heads up that this will be on ... and there will be some major WHOPPERS up for grabs over the weekend.

Cost for the event is $60 NZD - or if you feel generous, $60 AUD - to cover costs, trophies etc. Thats a cheap weekend of top class pinball!

SECOND OPTION: Had a couple of kiwis who just wanted to come for Sunday 3 Strike and Belles and Chimes. So no problems, $25 entry covers Sunday only.

Aussies - my paypal is dave@bestbuys.gen.nz “Friends and family” payment appreciated.

Kiwis - my bank account is on the email you should have received.

OPEN TO EVERYONE TO ATTEND

CAPPED AT 100 PLAYERS MAX! Get in quick or you may miss out.

Competitions will be held on my collection of approx 110 machines - from 1970 - 2018 models.

As those who have attended Pincade know, my arcade is around 3 minutes outside Pukekohe, where there are a number of motels and accommodation options.

As the event is being held over NZ Labour weekend (Long weekend with Monday as the holiday day) I would suggest committing ASAP and booking rooms ... maybe book rooms together as you do with Pincade.

Flights: You can fly in Thursday night or Friday AM. I would suggest the first comp will kick off Friday afternoon around 4-5pm. The event should be finished by 9pm Sunday night (to be safe) so theres the possibility of getting the last plane back to Aussie Sunday. Or go Monday and have some beers instead!

FYI My house is around 30 - 40 mins from the airport (40 to be safe)

I run a pretty tight ship (no f**king off down the chippy when I'm running the comp!!) so things should go to schedule.

If you all can confirm attendance up here (or via email ..) I will keep a list of attendees.

Dave

SCHEDULE:

FRIDAY 19TH: Doors open 5pm. Flip Frenzy starts 6pm sharp, to be run by Dan Robar. Should be finished 10pm. Doors close 11pm.

SATURDAY 20TH: Doors open 9am. Main Comp starts at 9:30 sharp ... 6 rounds of Pinburgh style qualifying (banks of 3 pins, New, Mid, Old) with 3,2,1,0 scoring per round.

Top 32 playoffs will commence at the end of the 6th round, and continue to 10-11pm when competitive play will end for the night

Playoff format: Top qualifiers will have a bye .... Other players will battle in 4 player groups on a bank of 3 pins chosen by the top seed. Top 2 players progress.

SUNDAY 21ST: Doors open 9am. Playoffs continue from 9:30am sharp. At the conclusion of the Main Comp, a 3 strike comp will commence (no earlier than 1pm). Danni will run a Belles and Chimes Woman’s Comp from approximately 7pm onwards (not before 7pm)

Edited by rotordave
update

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Entrants List: (marked as PAID when entry fee is received)

1: Paul McKnight - paid

2: Alex Knewstubb - paid

3: David Peck - paid

4: Danielle Peck - paid

5: Fiona Peck - paid

6: Carter Holloway - paid

7: Adam Corner - paid

8: Lynda Corner - paid

9: Hamish Guthrie - paid

10: Esther Ahronheim

11: Roland Kaegi - paid

12:

13: Dan Robar - paid

14: Brett Goodwin - paid

15: Naiomi Goodwin - paid

16: Tim Fulton - paid

17: Aiden Kersley - paid

18: Grant Stephens

19:

20: Mike Davidson - paid

21: Ross Meijer - paid

22: Ted Woods - paid

23: William Gill - paid

24: BJ Wilson - paid

25: Julia Damrow - paid

26: Kim Dozier - paid

27: Lisa Conroy - paid

28: Mike Fowles - paid

29: Charlie Sykes - paid

30: Warwick Armstrong - paid

31: George Davidson - paid

32: James Chisholm - paid

33: Jaron Gaylard - paid

34: Steve Vassiliadis - paid

35: David Gifford-Moore - paid

36: Karre Butler - paid

37: Garrick Laing - paid

38: Simon Haxton - paid

39: Michael Costalos

40: Samantha Hope - paid

41: Matt Harris - paid

42: Dallas Russ - paid

43: David Rhoades - paid

44: Karen Edwards - paid

45: Bruce Cathie - paid

46: Brent Buchanan - paid

47: Alana King - paid

48: Drew Castle - paid

49: Kristin Castle - paid

50. Vince Lumbers - paid

51: Tim Walle - paid

52: Kelly Buxton - paid

53: Hugh Dickson - paid

54: John Devine - paid

55. Tim Chapman - paid

56: Jason Hoseason - paid

57: Greg Gee - paid

58:

59: Lewis Tennant - paid

60: Josh Wyatt - paid

61: Ricky Stephens - paid

62: Shannon Mason - paid

63: Oliver Smart - paid

64: Ian Benjamin - paid

65: Andrew Barrow - paid

66: Chrysanthe Psychogios - paid

67: Peter Menzel - paid

68: Mark Jacobson - paid

69: Daryl Purdie - paid

70: Stephen Lukey - paid

71: John Maughn - paid

72: Lauren Rosser - paid

73:

74: Scott Harvey - paid

75: Brett Peters - paid

76: Ryan Stillwell - paid

77: Duncan Booth - paid

78: Raymond Yee - paid

79: Adam Vesly

80: Kalt Ley

Sunday only: (3 strike and Belles and Chimes). $25 Entry.

1: David Holender - paid

2: Meghan Holender - paid

3: Nicks Figures - paid

4: Justine Dillon - paid

5: Lincoln Holloway - free

6: Ashley Hendry

7: Alodia Burke

Edited by rotordave

I was just looking for another excuse to come visit New Zealand, since my 5 hour Auckland layover on the way back from Cooly didn't really satisfy me. (But it did qualify me for ALL the extra US security screenings since i had the audacity to leave the airport to dine with friends during that 5 hours. Whee!)

Count me in!

There, now it's Global! ;)

Thanks everyone for the PMs, emails and posts.

29 committed attendees already, which is sweet. Everyone has been sent payment info, just waiting for those to come through so they can be marked as paid.

What we are looking for is confirmed entries ... paid up commitments to attend.

I’m going to be putting 100s of hours into preparing 25 banks of pins for 100 players, so ideally I want to know 100 people are actually coming. :)

This is a change for us Kiwis, as generally nobody ever commits to anything ahead of time, and people just show up (or not) on the day.

This event is more how events are run everywhere else on the planet lol

Pinburgh sold out in 15 seconds ... we won’t beat that but it’d be cool to have all 100 entries spoken for in the next week or two.

I’ve updated the first post with my PayPal for the Aussies - dave@bestbuys.gen.nz. “Friends and Family” payment appreciated.

Kiwis - my bank account is on the email you should have received on Friday.

rd

ACCOMODATION OPTIONS

Just found out that there is a large Hockey tournament in Pukekohe on the same weekend.

So you’d want to get some accommodation sorted if you want to be close by.

Other options-

1/ I have arranged 3x double bedroom rooms at a bed and breakfast around 10-15 minutes from my house.

Would suit couples, no drinking, non smoking. Special deal of $100 per room per night. 3 rooms available. Email me for details.

2/ Touchwood Hotel in Pukekohe has 4x rooms left (rest are going to hockey teams)

3x rooms with king bed $139 per night - shower, kitchenette with microwave.

1x room with king bed, full kitchen and sexy spa bath lol. $159 a night.

Email them ASAP if you want them or they will be gone.

Info@motorlodge.co.nz or +64 9 2387205

3/ another option is campervans. I am open to having them parked here, but they must have their own showers/toilets as my septic tanks can’t handle 20 people having showers every day.

https://www.jucy.co.nz/booking-engine/web-step-2/for-vehicle/jucy-condo

The one with a shower is only $75 bucks a day.

Be aware that these are pretty budget but they’ll work for 3-4 days.

And you’d need to rent a car anyway, so it kills 2 birds with one stone.

Pickup is right at the airport - shuttles run to the Jucy depot.

Some more Camper options:

http://www.maui-rentals.com/nz/en/motorhome-hire/compare-motorhomes

http://www.mightycampers.co.nz/cheap-campervan-hire-nz/Pages/deuce-2-berth-campervan.aspx

http://www.mightycampers.co.nz/cheap-campervan-hire-nz/Pages/double-up-4-berth-campervan.aspx

http://www.mightycampers.co.nz/cheap-campervan-hire-nz/Pages/big-six-6-berth-campervan.aspx

https://www.discovery-motorhomes.co.nz/catalogue/2berth.php (there are other 'berths' on this website, too!)

Be aware: I have been told that the security deposit for a camper is like $1-2000 so be aware that you’d need to have that headroom available on your credit card. Just confirm that when you make a booking as that was just something I was told second hand.

rd

Edited by rotordave

Danni is keen to hold a Belles and Chimes event as well, while everyone is here.

The options are either Sunday night, starting when the 3 strike is getting towards the end, or Monday Am.

Sunday makes sense to me ... everyone will be here. So I’d say we start that at 7pm or something. If any Belles are still playing in the 3 strike, we work around it.

What’s everyones thoughts on that?

rd

Had a couple of people ask about the “banks” we will use.

I trialed this last month in a big Comp I ran here, called the Macs Interstate Classic. Macs beer sponsored it. Nice. :)

Here are the banks we used. One new pin, one “mid” pin, one older pin.

There will be more banks added for the SHPCs of course, but this gives you an idea of what I’m doing.

BANK 1

Tron LE

Swords of fury (g)

Sorcerer

BANK 2

Metallica LE

F14 (g)

Nitro Ground Shaker

BANK 3

AC/DC Prem

Space Station (g)

Genie

BANK 4

X-Men LE

Dr Dude (g)

Nine ball

BANK 5

Transformers LE

Grand Lizard (g)

Ali

BANK 6

High Speed (g)

Big game

BANK 7

Attack from Mars

Taxi (g)

Eight ball deluxe

BANK 8

Congo

Elvira (g)

Mystic

BANK 9

Jack-bot

Rollergames

Black Pyramid

BANK 10

Flintstones

Radical (g)

Bally Star Trek

BANK 11

Spider-Man

Road kings (g)

Mr and Mrs Pac Man

BANK 12

Family Guy

Diner

Fathom

BANK 13

Aerosmith

Addams Family

Centaur

BANK 14

Theatre of magic

Cyclone

Lightning

BANK 15

Dracula

Funhouse

Lost world

BANK 16

Demo man

Whirlwind

Mata Hari

(g) signifies the machine is located in Garage Gamesroom

AKA system 11 heaven?

AKA competition zone. :)

There are 10x Sys11s there, Hercules, all my EMs and a couple of SS machines.

I’ll try to have one pin per bank out there, as it helps alleviate congestion in the main room.

The last thing you want at a pinball event is “ass to ass” .... sometimes it can’t be helped, but I try to eliminate it wherever possible.

rd

Edited by rotordave