Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Restore Yellowed Plastic

• Administrators

Thought I'd share my experiences with de-yellowing plastic.

Some of you may or may not be aware of a RetroBright which is a formula created by a smart chap named Merlin which is a chemical cocktail to bring that old yellowed plastic back to white.

I wont go into detail here you can just read about it on his site HERE

Essentially the formula is as follows

1/2 pint (200ml) Hydrogen Peroxide, 30% strength

2 level teaspoons of Xanthan Gum

1 level teaspoon of Glycerine

1/4 teaspoonful of Oxy laundry booster

1 teaspoonful hot (not boiling) water

Pfft too hard I say. Another clever chap found using off the shelf Cream Peroxide Jerome Russell Cream Peroxide 40 vol 12%. will do the same thing.

No idea if you can buy it in Australia so I just bought it off ebay. His site is HERE

In a nut shell all you do is take your yellowed Computer/Console/Handled rip the guts out of it then give it a good clean(IMPORTANT), then with the proper safety gear (gloves) you use a brush to paint the Cream Peroxide on, wrap the case in plastic then stick it out in the sun for a few hours. You will probably have to repeat the process a few times to get it back to original.

I've done a few old hand helds and did this Oil Panic earlier today.

Before

IMAG0038.thumb.jpg.21371d32a3ec416d433322ce4e8fa7ff.jpg

After

IMAG0039.thumb.jpg.d0530b6676c91ae5bac3952a527aca64.jpg

This whole front and side was yellowed

IMAG0040.thumb.jpg.c3ad4b28cc446f8113ec3fa2f62519d8.jpg

I've done 3 applications in this case and may do a 4th but I reckon it looks great.

I think you'd probably get even better/faster results using a UV lamp.

Edited by Arcade King

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
nice work

curious does it effect the plastic at all much Ie risk of making it brittle ect :unsure

I don't think so mate, its only peroxide. Seems to be a lot of people using it and no side effects that I've read so far.

Assuming that was the oil panic you bought from me, that is an amazing result.

I need to do that to a PS1 I bought.

Great thread.

The very one :)

• Administrators

Just a quick update. Decided to do one final treatment today this time just the one and tightly wrapped in cling wrap and left in the sun for about 6 hrs.

IMAG0052.thumb.jpg.8efbc25f9f9069e1ed9a6281b4dfe3b9.jpg IMAG0053.thumb.jpg.f5177f4c5eb04a7e6ba543294454ebb6.jpg

Not sure if you can tell the difference from the first pics but for me this is about as perfect as you can get (other than the scratches on the faceplate) :D

Stoked.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have done this now on a yellowed "white" Saturn controller, 2 applications looks fantastic.

Also an Amiga case with noticable yellow tinge, now looks like new.

On a heavily yellowed Amiga mouse after 2 applications the yellowing is significantly reduced, but still probably needs one or 2 more rounds.

All this done in the questionable Tassie sun at this time of year.

If there is good weather I will try on C64 keys next, hope to get a good result with these.

Have done this now on a yellowed "white" Saturn controller, 2 applications looks fantastic.

Also an Amiga case with noticable yellow tinge, now looks like new.

On a heavily yellowed Amiga mouse after 2 applications the yellowing is significantly reduced, but still probably needs one or 2 more rounds.

All this done in the questionable Tassie sun at this time of year.

If there is good weather I will try on C64 keys next, hope to get a good result with these.

Good stuff. Where are the before and after pics??

Good stuff. Where are the before and after pics??

Didn't take any before pics for these, you will need to take my word for it :p

However, I am planning to do a Super Famicom that is so yellow it is almost green/ grey, and an A590 top casing. Hopefully if this reasonable weather holds out it will be soon.

Super Famicom Top

Super Famicom Bottom

A590 Top Case - See the proper colour where a sticker was removed.

I will be interested to see how the Super Famicom goes. Hope it works, but it seems too far gone?

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

What are you guys actually using thats available locally?

I bought mine from the UK, a pack of 6 bottles. Not hard to find on eBay, probably won't save much money buying locally.

Edited by Roxbury

I am happy to say that they Commodore 64 keys came up a treat. So good after the first application I won't do a 2nd application. It was a pain to do these. After removing them all from the keyboard, then washing them all with warm soapy water. Then holding them with tweezers while applying the paste. Then set down on a board on some cling wrap, put a layer of cling wrap on top once all were done, then secured the cling wrap to the board so it wasn't picked up by any wind. After being out in the sun all day, wash each key again with warm soapy water, then leave to dry.