Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL - X Game 8: Bomb Jack (Set 1) (Tehkan)

Game 8: Bomb Jack (Set 1) (Tehkan)

Rom: bombjack

Randomly selected from the MGL Xgame list, game 10 on the list

Nominated by Wingtipvortex

http://www.klov.com/images/11/118124206447.jpg

http://www.klov.com/images/11/118124206449.png

Current hiscore held by wingtipvortex 2,144,430

Manufacturer: Tehkan

Year: 1984

Class: Wide Release

Genre: Platform

Type: Videogame

Monitor:

Orientation: Vertical

Type: Raster: Standard Resolution

CRT: Color

Conversion Class: Tehkan

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Single Player

Controls:

Joystick: 8-way

Buttons: 1 [Jump]

Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

Dip switch settings

Lives 3

Bird Speed Easy

Enemies Number & Speed Medium

Special Coin Easy

Bomb Jack Description

A platform game where the object is to collect bombs. Extra bonuses are awarded for collecting bombs with their fuses lit. When you get killed you drop to the nearest platform always landing on your head. Levels begin to repeat after level 18.

Game Introduction

Collect all the bombs to complete a screen. Only one bomb at a time has a lit fuse. Collect 20 or more of these lit bombs on a level for a bonus (10k to 50k). Avoid the various monsters who chase you. Monsters are drawn in a very distinctive grey color and have a 3D look. There are various background pictures on each level (e.g. the Sphinx, skyscrapers, a castle).

Game Play

Monsters move in different patterns. For example, the bird character always moves towards you slowly, but it can only move horizontallly or vertically.

Grab the powerball when it appears to freeze the monsters for a short period of time during which you can kill them simply by touching them. Collect the "Bonus" symbols to increase the score for each lit bomb collected. Pick up an "Extra" symbol for an additional man and a "Special" symbol for an extra credit.

Hit the Jump button to fly up the screen until the button is released. Tap the Fly button when falling to slow the character's descent.

(http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7180&letter=B)

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL X thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.

Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line and don't forget your screen shot, any troubles let me know.

Your scores need to be in by next Monday 22nd of February BY 8PM (NSW daylight savings time).

DKong

Edited by DKong

Wingtipvortex that is one hell of a high score :o

Never been o'fay with this game. Hmmm. Time for learnin'.

I still wonder how he managed that, we were hoping he would show us how to play at the Spazzy in Tassie meet:) Think he cracked around 7,000 going into his last man:laugh:

Removed score as dips were set wrong, i think having them on harder means more enemies=more score. :)

New score with dips set at default( EASY, MEDIUM, EASY ) and using set 1:)

I am done!! I started at 6am and this game can now shove itself up its own ass!

http://i48.tinypic.com/35bz7s3.png

Edited by wingtipvortex

Ahhh trust this one to come up on a busy week for me, going to Sydney for ACDC tomorrow.

Still might get a bit of time to play on Sat night, that will be it, one shot at the title. Yeah I feel ready :) (Dunno how I will feel after a 70,000 people mosh pit)

I think we play with the dips on medium, thats what ive played this game on.

Dk, can you confirm what settings mate.

Both MAME default dips I have are

Lives 3

Bird Speed Easy

Special Coin Easy

I couldn't do the dips last night as I wasn't close to a MAME setup

Also the rom is bombjack , game is (Set 2), I will update the first post:)

Both MAME default dips I have are

Lives 3

Bird Speed Easy

Special Coin Easy

I couldn't do the dips last night as I wasn't close to a MAME setup

Also the rom is bombjack , game is (Set 2), I will update the first post:)

Thanks for the update - Thats the settings Ive always played on even in the arcade!

Mame has updated the defaults to hard, hard, easy - which also matches the factory defaults according to the manual!

I'm playing on my original board so I wanted to make sure I got the right settings :)

In my mame 0.135 it says that (bombjack)rom is set1 and that set2 (bombjack2)rom is a clone of set1

Also noticed that when I checked the dips there was an option to change the scores to get a free man. This should be set at "none".

In my mame 0.135 it says that (bombjack)rom is set1 and that set2 (bombjack2)rom is a clone of set1

Also noticed that when I checked the dips there was an option to change the scores to get a free man. This should be set at "none".

Thanks Rat, Is there any difference between Set 1 and Set 2 :unsure should we play Set 1 :unsure

Been playing set 2 for some time, downloaded set 1 and played for a couple of hours, cant see any difference:unsure Maybe go set 1 as thats what they play on Twin Galaxies.

I cant seem to find anywhere on 1 or 2 to adjust a free life? There is an option to adjust default high score though. Its set on 10,000 by default.

Booya! Cracked 100k :lol

I'd forgotten what a fun game this is, always wished I knew more about it. The game has a real nice combination of chaos and precision that makes it so playable.

Q: Should you always try to get the bombs in 'lit' sequence ? This seems to set off the 'P' bonus earlier...and is there an easy way to get the 'B' bonus come out sooner?

Edit: Score update

Edited by Jed

I'd forgotten what a fun game this is, always wished I knew more about it. The game has a real nice combination of chaos and precision that makes it so playable.

Q: Should you always try to get the bombs in 'lit' sequence ? This seems to set off the 'P' bonus earlier...and is there an easy way to get the 'B' bonus come out sooner?

If you get the lit bombs in sequence, you will receive 50K at the end of each level.

So by the end of level 2 , you will have cracked 100K+:)

If you get the lit bombs in sequence, you will receive 50K at the end of each level.

Wow....! thanks for the tip. It took me 14 levels to get my 150k :redface

Been playing set 2 for some time, downloaded set 1 and played for a couple of hours, cant see any difference:unsure Maybe go set 1 as thats what they play on Twin Galaxies.

I cant seem to find anywhere on 1 or 2 to adjust a free life? There is an option to adjust default high score though. Its set on 10,000 by default.

The adjusting free life comes out in later MAME versions for some reason, just set it to none if anyone is running this version of MAME.

The P comes out once the bar at the top of the screen maxes out (around the X bonus you are on) I think the lit bombs increase it quicker.

Also the B comes out every 5000 points so if you are close to a 5000 point multiple flap your wings (wiggle joystick) against sides to get small point increases.

Thats right learning the patterns helps but the lit bombs are lit one after another in rows..

The older version (set 2) says 'YOU ARE LUCY' instead of 'YOU ARE LUCKY'. when you collect the special - no game play difference.

The free life setting is to do with the first three switches on dip2 - the manual states these should be left off. Someone must of figured out what they did 'ie bonus life @ 100k' so it was added to mame in later versions.

The older version (set 2) says 'YOU ARE LUCY' instead of 'YOU ARE LUCKY'. when you collect the special - no game play difference.

The free life setting is to do with the first three switches on dip2 - the manual states these should be left off. Someone must of figured out what they did 'ie bonus life @ 100k' so it was added to mame in later versions.

I did notice on level 6 ( the second pyramid/sphinx screen) the enemies are different. Set 2 gives you the silver diagonal bouncing ones but set 1 gives the black homing (I hate them) ones.

It really ruins the way I do that pattern as I can loop around quickly and get up the bottom right hand side on Set 2 but set 1 it won't happen:x

So there is a difference in the sets and probably more than I just noticed.

So Set 1 it is.

Thats right. Funny thing is, "YOU ARE LUCY" is what i remember from my arcade days? Maybe we should be playing the original arcade version:unsure

I did notice on level 6 ( the second pyramid/sphinx screen) the enemies are different. Set 2 gives you the silver diagonal bouncing ones but set 1 gives the black homing (I hate them) ones.

It really ruins the way I do that pattern as I can loop around quickly and get up the bottom right hand side on Set 2 but set 1 it won't happen:x

So there is a difference in the sets and probably more than I just noticed.

So Set 1 it is.

Actually I was just having the same trouble on level 6 getting killed bottom right.

Need to rethink that pattern...

Best so far is around 500k hope to crack the mil :cool:

Round 29, have managed nearly this score on round 17:laugh: didn't point push on this game and just went for some "free balling" or is that "free bombing" :laugh: takes a bit of pressure off ;)

Actually I was just having the same trouble on level 6 getting killed bottom right.

Need to rethink that pattern...

Best so far is around 500k hope to crack the mil :cool:

You are on course ;) it is possible to get 1,000,000 on level 10 but that is with enemies set to hard I think as it releases 2 birds at the start giving you more "B" bonus's with the P best I ever did was just over 900,000.

Plus you have to get the P when it is silver as it gives you 2000 points and X 5 is 10,000 right there and the P kill can net 50,000 points with X bonus right up and get all enemies ;)

bomb0004.png.5fedf8fc467b239639a0d4c4e0fe611e.png