No announcement yet.

Aldi 3D printers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my advise and I am very very new at this but know cnc machining/programming, is do the star or a any file that's fairly quick to print and try the various setting in cura etc like fill density. You're probably doing 20%, try 100% and other percentage, try without a brim, different speeds and see how the shape differs in quality. That way when you want to do something largish and intricate, you have a good understanding of the speeds/feeds/fills etc

Also some stuff from thingiverse just doesn't seem to work and turns into a mess. Sometimes it can be the way the object is positioned on the table ie. a washer on its end would print better flat. So again using the software rotate your objects to get the best results.

Comment

Yeah star was a good first print. Printed really quickly and gave me a little insight on how these things work.

I was a bit excited and rushed through the levelling too, seemed to be close enough though..

I have A LOT to learn and think this printer will serve me well. For $199 I can't complain and felt comfortable buying it from Aldi as I know I have 60 days to return it if the need arises.

The magnetic mat seems to work very well, just bend and peel the prints off. They included 3 mats which is nice and a bunch of other tools like a scraper etc.
      SEGA love: | Nintendo love:
      PC Engine love: | Latest retro finds:

Comment

Originally posted by Frank_fjs View Post
        Yeah star was a good first print. Printed really quickly and gave me a little insight on how these things work.

I was a bit excited and rushed through the levelling too, seemed to be close enough though..

I have A LOT to learn and think this printer will serve me well. For $199 I can't complain and felt comfortable buying it from Aldi as I know I have 60 days to return it if the need arises.

The magnetic mat seems to work very well, just bend and peel the prints off. They included 3 mats which is nice and a bunch of other tools like a scraper etc.
        mate I found later down the track parts were harder to remove and I wore a hole on my first mat. I use the glue stick as well now and have no issues. Still on the first mat as I rotated it 180 degrees. Just smear a fine film of glue where the print will be approx. I use warm water to clean the mat as apposed to scraping

Comment

it takes trial and error with 3d printing, once you get it then you will have less problems.
          3d printers arent exactly easy, the aldi one is a bit more user friendly compared to others.

$199 bucks for a solid 3d printer is a bargain.

Keep trying the more complex items on the card what ever they are before moving onto downloaded items, the ones o nthe cards are all dialed in with the correct infill and all that, so they are easy.
          with downloaded files it takes a bit to dial in the correct settings for your printer, that takes allot of trial and error, But again once you learn the settings and have that dialed in then most prints are rather easy.
          allot of the adjusting can be done in Cura, like speeding and slowing down print head for certain areas, also adding extra layers or rings for the brim,raft,skirt.
          working out the fill, and using things like avoiding so you dont knock over supports on return and so on,
          once you figure out all those settings out and have that dialed in on cura your in business.
          Trial and error, so go download CURA, I dont use the version on the SD card as it seems tobe a watered down version, either way its free to download CURA so no point having a watered down version.

I dont know what the magnetic pads are like, If you have sticking issues some settings in Cura help sort them out, but I use the bostic method also.
          If you want I can screen shot some of my Printer settings, which might help for a start, and you can tweek later if you think my settings could be improved

Comment

Originally posted by jason1 View Post
            it takes trial and error with 3d printing, once you get it then you will have less problems.
            3d printers arent exactly easy, the aldi one is a bit more user friendly compared to others.

$199 bucks for a solid 3d printer is a bargain.

Keep trying the more complex items on the card what ever they are before moving onto downloaded items, the ones o nthe cards are all dialed in with the correct infill and all that, so they are easy.
            with downloaded files it takes a bit to dial in the correct settings for your printer, that takes allot of trial and error, But again once you learn the settings and have that dialed in then most prints are rather easy.
            allot of the adjusting can be done in Cura, like speeding and slowing down print head for certain areas, also adding extra layers or rings for the brim,raft,skirt.
            working out the fill, and using things like avoiding so you dont knock over supports on return and so on,
            once you figure out all those settings out and have that dialed in on cura your in business.
            Trial and error, so go download CURA, I dont use the version on the SD card as it seems tobe a watered down version, either way its free to download CURA so no point having a watered down version.

I dont know what the magnetic pads are like, If you have sticking issues some settings in Cura help sort them out, but I use the bostic method also.
            If you want I can screen shot some of my Printer settings, which might help for a start, and you can tweek later if you think my settings could be improved
            And retraction. That was one of the most useful settings I found. It retracts the filament when the nozzle moves to another part of the print so you don't get stringing between parts.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

3 mats that is great,

bought two more for my MK3 at which came to around $100 with shipping.
              Might need to spend the day checking out Melbourne Aldis and get one for Dad.

Regs,
              Red
              Shadow, Comet, PZ, Spanish Eyes, Dogies, CP, BBBB, Gridiron, Jungle Lord, Gorgar, FlyHigh Playfield and Backglass, Centrelink Kiosk, Jim Beam Dart board, Vendmax Lolly Dispenser
              Indy500, Sprint2 & Indy2 project, TX Sector, Bone Busters Inc, Victory, Raven Gottlieb Sys80B's,Mars God Of War, F-14(project)
              Elvira and Bluechip (given to Dad)

Comment

What's the deal with print volume?

The specs state 120 x 135 X 100

However when I try to print something that is 60 X 130 X 3 cura informs me the model is too big for the printer.

I ended up resorting to the software found on the SD card as it's all pre-configured, just less stuffing around for now.

I shrunk the model to 60 x 115 x 3 just to get it to print. Doesn't really work, just doesn't stick to the bed, slides around like crazy.

I used FreeCAD to generate the SDL, clearly I have zero idea of what I'm doing!

All I want is a rectangular plate, 130mm long by 60mm deep by 3mm high.

Comment

What's the deal with print volume?

The specs state 120 x 135 X 100

However when I try to print something that is 60 X 130 X 3 cura informs me the model is too big for the printer.

I ended up resorting to the software found on the SD card as it's all pre-configured, just less stuffing around for now.

I shrunk the model to 60 x 115 x 3 just to get it to print. Doesn't really work, just doesn't stick to the bed, slides around like crazy.

I used FreeCAD to generate the SDL, clearly I have zero idea of what I'm doing!

All I want is a rectangular plate, 130mm long by 60mm deep by 3mm high.
                  You need to enter the specs into Cura that is written in the instructions,
                  it tells you how todo that,
                  the settings will be saved in Cura after that and you shouldnt have that problem again with the sizing again.

If you model isnt sticking, there is a number of reasons for that, its frustrating at first this 3d printing stuff. so hang in there

Comment

Rotate the print in cura 90 degs the 135 is front to back. If you have a brim or skirt it will add to the size of your print.
                    Clean the print bed with isopropyl alcohol and level the bed using a piece of paper under the nozzle. Adjust the thumb screws so you can just move the paper. Level it twice just to be sure.
                    I use brims on large flat objects as they tend to curl at the corners.
                    I spray the print bed with my wife's hair spray and when it's set give the bed a good scrape.

Comment

I already tried rotating it so it was 60 x 130 x 3mm yet it still complains about being oversized.

Only way I can get to the slicing stage is to reduce the 130 to 115mm.

It seems to slice it okay, and I can save the gcode file, but I cannot re-import that same file back into cura, it complains about an invalid format.

Comment

Download the newest version of cura and add your printer details

Comment

The smooth sheet that came with my printer wouldn't hold a print until I rubbed it with acetone. Was too smooth and shinny initially.

As stated, set up your program with you table size. You can also use the free program slic3r which you can also set for your printers bed size and rotate and scale files. stl files in and gcode files out for your pinter.
                          (pursa have their own version which is per set up for the printer bed size.)
                          Enjoy Red
                          Shadow, Comet, PZ, Spanish Eyes, Dogies, CP, BBBB, Gridiron, Jungle Lord, Gorgar, FlyHigh Playfield and Backglass, Centrelink Kiosk, Jim Beam Dart board, Vendmax Lolly Dispenser
                          Indy500, Sprint2 & Indy2 project, TX Sector, Bone Busters Inc, Victory, Raven Gottlieb Sys80B's,Mars God Of War, F-14(project)
                          Elvira and Bluechip (given to Dad)

Comment

Frank pm me your phone number and I'll give you a call in a minute

Comment

Using the latest cura worked as far as I can now create and re-import files.

The size discrepancy is due to the support base that cura is creating, which pushes the model over the 135mm limit.

Comment

Using the latest cura worked as far as I can now create and re-import files.

The size discrepancy is due to the support base that cura is creating, which pushes the model over the 135mm limit.
                                you should be able to change the support style, or base style that will hopefully allow you to print it.
                                the settings displayed on the right hand side are only the basic ones and so you may not see the selections in detail or even at all.
                                to add more to that list of settings to fine tune things like, supports, rim raft and all that, you go to the drop down menu, Click Settings, click Configure settings Visibility and then check the areas you would like to add to that side bar.
                                I have most selected and on hand in my side bar. all that stuff really helps with sticking and printing issues,

I use brim, ive set the lines for brim really close together and also use more brim lines currently 10 lines, that has helped with sticking issues but also doesnt leave a really large brim that causes it to fall outside of the print limits, the factory settings on brim had big gaps between each line, my brim lines all touch each other, I also slowed down the speed on the printing of the brim lines which has helped with sticking.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X