Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting to think about 3D printers. How sandable and sealable are the parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting to think about 3D printers. How sandable and sealable are the parts?

I see PLA is a very common material. Is it easily sanded and sealed to make a smooth object? We're talking glass smooth. What options would I have?
    Danny Galaga- the man with no signature...

Spend the little bit extra and grab a printer witb a heated bed and auto levelling.
    SEGA love: | Nintendo love:
    PC Engine love: | Latest retro finds:

Comment

I bought a creality ended 3 about 2 months ago it cost $300 delivered and came with a 2kg roll of pla as well. I love it and use it almost every day...absolute bargain. Aliexpress is the website i bought it from. There are also heaps of youtubes about how to use the creality and also reviews about it on YouTube
      sigpic

Comment

The main thing I need to know first is can I sand and seal the parts? Some things I want to make glass smooth basically

Comment

ABS sands better than PLA. You'll need a heated bed for it though. You can also use acetone vapour to smooth it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
          Last edited by BIG Trev; 13th August 2019, 07:13 AM.

Comment

I guess you mean ABS?

Comment

Originally posted by danny_galaga View Post
              I guess you mean ABS?
              Yes

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

Had a google and the acetone method could be
                just the thing for some parts. Just for aesthetics. Obviously functional parts like brackets etc I wouldn’t bother smoothing
                Last edited by danny_galaga; 13th August 2019, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitewater View Post
                  I bought a creality ended 3 about 2 months ago it cost $300 delivered and came with a 2kg roll of pla as well. I love it and use it almost every day...absolute bargain. Aliexpress is the website i bought it from. There are also heaps of youtubes about how to use the creality and also reviews about it on YouTube
                  I ended up buying an Ender 3 Pro (pro really means mkll in their case).

Worked pretty much straight out of the box printed a few test pieces in PLA and starting to get the hang of ABS . Very happy with the machine. Couldn't get the supplied slicer software to work but have downloaded Cura and that works like a charm.

Comment

Lets see your plastic elephant then Danny

Comment

Nah, would take too long too print. I printed a 20 X 20 X 10 block instead
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice work!

I've been thinking about grabbing the same printer. Seems to have the best price to feature ratio and a solid performer without much work required.
                        SEGA love: | Nintendo love:
                        PC Engine love: | Latest retro finds:

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                        Working...
                        X