Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

The Cricket Thread

DKong

Not a cricket tragic, but todays cricket is sh!t. bring back the 80's and 90's where the men didn't try to be beckham and posh, where they dont have fireworks on the sidelines and cheerleaders (I like cheerleaders normally), and where the game lasts for more than 2 hours. I'm talkin how much I dont like 20/20....test is still great

To much money in today's cricket mate. Pointing will NOT retire. He will have to be sacked.

Yep too much money.

But regardless of how Ponting and Haddin go in the second innings, their time is up. I also believe that a fit Ryan Harris should take Johnson's position. Mitch showed a lot of promise when he first came into the test team, but sadly he just doesn't live up to the hype.

We need to be blooding new players with a view towards the Ashes and beyond. I'd like to see Watson pushed down the order where he belongs, he scores quickly and would prove a game maker down the order.

Yep too much money.

But regardless of how Ponting and Haddin go in the second innings, their time is up. I also believe that a fit Ryan Harris should take Johnson's position. Mitch showed a lot of promise when he first came into the test team, but sadly he just doesn't live up to the hype.

We need to be blooding new players with a view towards the Ashes and beyond. I'd like to see Watson pushed down the order where he belongs, he scores quickly and would prove a game maker down the order.

Agree what your saying about Mitch but his test figures tell a different story. 48 test at an average of 30 shows he's no mug. 188 test wickets and a wicket every 55 balls! I do think he is to erratic and not consist enough, certainly now in his career than earlier.

I think we have been spoilt with the likes of McGrath, Warne et all and that's our problem as Aussies. We want them back and it ain't gonna happen. At least that pathetic Hilditch has gone <_<

We need a decent, proven number 3 before dumping Ponting.

Khawaja (Australia's answer to Englands dashing opener - Chris Tavare) is boring as bat shit, and scores at a snails pace. He showed lots of promise in the Shield, much like every other person you could possibly name to replace Ponting. They step up and fail to perform.

Marsh hasn't played enough to be a "proven" replacement yet, and initial signs are he scores only a tick faster than his old man, who was as exciting as paint drying to watch.

Time for the selectors to also start looking more closely at the other states, instead of being blinded by the NSW team. Seems like your chances of playing for Australia are doubled by just playing for the blues :rolleyes

Our batters aren't consistently performing, but our bowlers haven't been performing as a unit for even longer. Given chances at winning, the number of times we fail to take the 20 wickets of recent times is not good.

Nothing wrong with scoring slowly mate. It's 5 days of cricket not 50 overs. Just go tell Katich or Langer that. They could score slowly at times but nothing wrong with making a hundred in a day if it puts us in a wining position.

Batting slow is fine when the wicket is difficult to play, but batting slow as a rule just puts pressure on the rest of the team. Khawaja at his current scoring rate could bat all day (all 90 overs) and not crack 100, Marsh would be only marginally ahead of him. Put those two in together, bat all day and advance your score by around 220 for the day and I guarantee you will lose or draw more Test matches than you win. One guy going slow as a wet week at one end just puts pressure on his partner to do the scoring and in turn increases their risk of getting out trying to score runs.

Australia was I believe one of the first countries to regularly score 300+ in a days play, and during that time Australia was pretty much unbeatable.

Nothing wrong with scoring slowly mate. It's 5 days of cricket not 50 overs. Just go tell Katich or Langer that. They could score slowly at times but nothing wrong with making a hundred in a day if it puts us in a wining position.

Agree. We tend to get carried away with the fast pace of the limited over stuff and forget about the finer points that are required at test level. Khawaja is a work in progress and certainly has the technique to do well at test level. Marsh has proven himself, personally I'd like to see Warner in the side instead of Hughes.

its a great day for Victoria, its a great day for Australia, its a great day for the World!

Merv, Merv, Merv!

I love him get him up here!:lol

Haha I love that little rant, and all the rest from the 12th man

It's a great day for Victoria, a great day for Australia and it's a great day for the great Man, Merv Hughes! The hero of the MCG! I love him, I want to boof him! Get him up here!

As for Ponting he does need to retire but its the standard trend with the past few cricket captains towards the ends of their careers Waugh, Taylor, Ponting etc they have a slump maybe a handful of decent innings and then fade away, will score jobs on commentary team or get insane amounts of money to play in the IPL or some other Indian league.

Batting slow is fine when the wicket is difficult to play, but batting slow as a rule just puts pressure on the rest of the team. Khawaja at his current scoring rate could bat all day (all 90 overs) and not crack 100, Marsh would be only marginally ahead of him. Put those two in together, bat all day and advance your score by around 220 for the day and I guarantee you will lose or draw more Test matches than you win. One guy going slow as a wet week at one end just puts pressure on his partner to do the scoring and in turn increases their risk of getting out trying to score runs.

Australia was I believe one of the first countries to regularly score 300+ in a days play, and during that time Australia was pretty much unbeatable.

While I can understand where your coming from, once again we have been spoilt with the likes of Hayden, Gilly et all. John, gone are the days that we will score at 4 runs an over for the whole day. Unfortunately it's guys like you who refuse to give the current young crop of guys time to find there feet.I would prefer to be 0/200 in a day than 7/300. You can build an innings of the first, not the latter.

Steve Waugh took around 20 test to find his feet. Imagine if we pissed him off after one or two tests. Give em a go mate and be patent, PLEASE.

It's not the team of the 90's and NEVER will b.

The problem for Australia is the demand of being Australia.

We demand champion teams in sport and we have been spoiled with world class teams in cricket, rugby league and union for years, decades even.

We hit a point where we had a lot of retirements in the senior ranks and the up and coming talent, who previously would have been blooded to the team surrounded by top of the line senior players just don't get the luxury.

The spotlight is put on the team heavily by the media and public and shortfalls are exaggerated leaving the team in constant change as selectors try to find the magic again.

The fact is, we can't be on top forever, and it's our time to rebuild.

Haha I love that little rant, and all the rest from the 12th man

It's a great day for Victoria, a great day for Australia and it's a great day for the great Man, Merv Hughes! The hero of the MCG! I love him, I want to boof him! Get him up here!.

:lol:lol:lol

yeah thats it:cool:

have you seen Billys new stubbie coolers? they rock!

http://12thman.securestore.com.au/index.asp?

http://12thman.securestore.com.au/product_details.asp?id=101535

http://12thman.securestore.com.au/product_details.asp?id=101533

Good old Billy Birmingham

Yes Marvellous Effort that :cool:

While I can understand where your coming from, once again we have been spoilt with the likes of Hayden, Gilly et all. John, gone are the days that we will score at 4 runs an over for the whole day. Unfortunately it's guys like you who refuse to give the current young crop of guys time to find there feet.I would prefer to be 0/200 in a day than 7/300. You can build an innings of the first, not the latter.

Steve Waugh took around 20 test to find his feet. Imagine if we pissed him off after one or two tests. Give em a go mate and be patent, PLEASE.

It's not the team of the 90's and NEVER will b.

The problem is they blood young players way too early. Sure Cummins is doing okay, and I hope he is the next McGrath, but only 3 first class matches????? Come on.

Khawaja is a prime example. Too young, not enough experience. He has pretty much failed in every innings and he doesn't have the experience to be playing Test Cricket while fighting to stay in the team at the same time.

Can't really comment on Steve Waugh since StatsGuru on CricInfo doesn't work half the time... but Waugh was never picked as a batter in the beginning, he was a middle order all-rounder. He pretty much secured his place from day 1 with his batting/bowling performances.

Over the last couple of years the selectors have ignored so many talented players because they were searching for the 20 somethings who will give them 15 years of service.

In any case, I'm not trying to have too much of a dig at the new guys. I mainly get annoyed at the selectors and kicking out those with talent (because they are old) and not letting go of those who "show promise" yet under perform more often than they perform.

We are probably mid placed in world rankings, just don't want us to go the way of the West Indies - once the unbeatable and now look like they'll be lucky to get back to being a feared team at any stage in the next 100 years :D

I love my cricket, 20/20, test, one day...whatever. But i think im stuck in time when it comes down to edge of your seat excitement with this game in the last decade? I never missed a game when i was younger, and would really look forward to the season, but i just don't get into it anywhere near as much as i used to.......i find it a tad boring now:(

Here are a few names i consider top of the line cricketers that made me watch and get into the game and slip of fthe edge of the couch when watching......

Akram

Hadlee

Khan ( absolutely loved his bowling technique, the big high jump )

Lara

McGrath

Richards

Ponting

Lloyed

Tendulkar

Laird

Healy

Gilchrist

Border

Holding

Lillee

Thompson

Garner

Hughes

Lee

Warne

Boone

Marsh

Yardley

Just my opinion of course:cool:

Cricket ain't what it used to be, but i still love the game.