Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

My leg and the last 2 months

Warning, thread has graphic images,

Two months ago, I had a sore ankle. Being a guy, I decided to tough it out.

That was a big mistake

After a week I decided to see a GP, they described antibiotics.

Three days later I woke to see a mess in my bed and my lower leg covered in black sores. OK, NOW it is time to go to emergency

Diagnosis; Necrotizing Fasciitis (flesh eating disease)

I had somehow cut my foot and let in a nasty bug, which was eating my leg muscles away from the inside

By the end of the night, half of the skin on my lower leg was gone, and some muscle

My leg was bandaged with a plastic bandage, the tube is sucking out the crap from my leg

This is what I woke to;

I spent two weeks having the wound cleaned up, then I was shipped from Ballarat to Sunshine hospital, as that is the place to get reconstructive surgery done. A week of getting assessed there then of for more surgery

The wound will be covered by a skin flap and skin grafts

A skin flap is a piece of skin and muscle taken from another part of the body

A skin graft is a thin layer of skin scrapped from a third site

Where they plan on taking the flap from;

And what it looks like after they have removed the flap;

What my leg looked like after 11 hours surgery;

(the frame stayed on for three weeks)

What it looks like without bandages;

What you are seeing is the untouched foot, skin flap, skin graft, and untouched rest of me

After 5 weeks, the flap has taken well, and the donor site has healed over nicely. While it does not look like it, the skin graft is solid to touch, but it is transparent, so you can see the muscle underneath

A bit of rehab, and I am now back at home.

Although it will be some time before I can get back to work

1320391443_leg1.jpg.1106dba9ddb37725d0ee9cc3f49c853b.jpg

1058090394_leg2.thumb.jpg.8f8561315332c7eaec994146a9fe6fb7.jpg

leg4.jpg.be8ffd30f798b9b2c89d4d02fea11a68.jpg

Spoiler

1144987859_leg6.thumb.jpg.fd8e1593b15ca66841f6aa2835b61c77.jpg

Spoiler

1991548709_leg7.jpg.6f01ea5d975440c4ad0ba302afbac4c3.jpg

Edited by Pop Bumper Pete

Jesus Pete!

Mate, sorry to hear you went through this. Sounds like you are coming out the other side though, all the best on the healing process.

And thanks for sharing as I am sure every single one of us has 'toughed' it out before when we knew we shouldn't have, this is a good reminder that pain is not normal and should be checked out!

WOW that is nasty Pete, tough going mate and hope you have a speedy recovery, slow healing process and if they allow it get into the water to get the leg moving as it helps walking by having the body buoyant and be EXTRA careful of any blood clots, any abnormal pains tell them real quickly.

I cringe every time I look at those photo's but fascinated how they immobilise the foot and leg with that meccano set.

I can only imagine how difficult things have been for you. Get well soon.

Edited by hotty

Man that looks nasty. Hope it continues to get better. Just goes to show sometimes as guys we shouldn't use the old adage "she'll be right"

Get well soon mate.

I also discovered that I was an diagnosed diabetic, which made everything twice as difficult

- - - Updated - - -

Bloody hell Pete! Speedy recovery mate, hope it is all back to normal sooner rather than later.

Dave

I hope so too

walking is no problem, almost without a limp

but getting up and down even small steps and I need crutches

but I don't think I should even try to drive, thus reliant on others to drive me around

The last bit of messy stuff I've seen on AA that comes even close to that mess was when @furballx was finding a new way to use a circular saw.

Reminds me of seeing a shopfitter working on the Melbourne motor show holding a small sheet of mdf while ripping it with a cordless circular saw straight through his forearm....

his face turned white as a ghost

• Administrators
Crikey Pete, sorry to hear mate but it's good to hear you're on the mend. I hope you're up and around fully soon.;)

The last bit of messy stuff I've seen on AA that comes even close to that mess was when @furballx was finding a new way to use a circular saw.

No mate, I've got nothing compared to that......Pete wins.

- - - Updated - - -

One positive thing though Pete, wait until you see the look on the first strangers face when you tell them what happened, they will crap themselves. Alternatively you could do what a mate of mine did when he had a full knee reconstruction. He had the Robocop leg brace on for a number of weeks and when people asked him what happened he told them he was bitten by a great white shark while diving off Adelaide. We nearly lost our shit the first time he looked someone in the eye and told them that!

:lol