Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Covid 19 - Blood Pressure Warning

• Super Moderator

Hey guys,

Most of you know that I'm in pharmaceuticals but if you didn't you now do.

I have linked an article below that concerns me and I have made some medication changes for my parents.

Anyone that is on ARB blood pressure meds is at much greater risk with this disease. Covid-19 binds to ACE-2 receptors which are expressed 300-500% more in patients on these meds.

In simple terms - if your blood pressure meds end in 'artan' or a part of the ARB family get you ass to your GP and ask to be put on Amlodipine (Norvasc) - these are calcium channel blockers that don't express ACE-2. They will still control your BP.

This sort of info will save lives and improve outcomes. Most GP's are aware of this - if not show them the article. The info is not widespread because its not proven clinically via trials yet. Don't be part of that trial! Reduce risk now if you can.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...116-8/fulltext

• Like 15

• Super Moderator
reaptan?

good - its calcium channel. stay on it. ;-)

the govt can't officially say anything that science does not support. for science to support it it needs a peer reviewed double blind study. that's something that takes months and months. in 12 months time this will be a thing but of course that doesn't help people now.

to be fair to government and doctors, it would be too risky to put this out there. people might stop taking BP meds and then hospitals will be dealing with strokes and heart attacks as much as covid. remember it is not proven yet but as per my first post better to reduce the risk if you can. this is why Gp's won't have any concerns in switching you if you ask.

• Super Moderator

Hey Stu,

Thanks for some credible info, better than so much crap that is circling the Interwebs..

Can you tell me if Crestor (Rosuvastatin) is part of this group..?

Keep safe.

Thanks.

• Super Moderator
Hey Stu,

Thanks for some credible info, better than so much crap that is circling the Interwebs..

Can you tell me if Crestor (Rosuvastatin) is part of this group..?

Keep safe.

Thanks.

hey dyl. different class of meds mate. no ace-2 dangers there. stop eating bacon.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator
Hey mate.. any idea re Perindopril Arg/Indap ?

this is an ace inhibitor. on a scale of 1 to 3 then its a 2, 'artans' are a 3. It would be worth a conversation with GP with that article in hand.

• Like 1

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but the Australian heart foundation says "There is no evidence at this time to support these claims" So I guess you'll need to ask your GP for an answer.

Agree if you're concerned see your gp. The ops intent is honourable but for him to be asked specifics for your own case my be putting too much pressure on him and/or cause a health prob for someone. I'd hate for someone to die because of this. You wouldn't change your investment portfolio based on something said here without investigating further, would you?

Thanks for the heads up btw

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
I'm not saying it's right or wrong but the Australian heart foundation says "There is no evidence at this time to support these claims" So I guess you'll need to ask your GP for an answer.

yeah agree. read what I said about not having a full scientific study to back it yet. the heart foundation are't the type of organisation to make a recommendation that is not fully backed by a study. Personally, I'm not prepared to wait for this.People should make up their own minds but if you can change to a potentially lower risk situation (pending the study) then that seems sensible to me.

• Like 2

Unfortunately no time to peer review everything and a lot of trial medicines to treat this virus are being tested solely because they have already be tested and approved for human use but for other purposes.

One that shows hope is a drug we found here in Australia and only come out late last year and is found to help dramatically in knocking over flu but you need to hit it very early for it to be effective.

This is the drug we here in Australia are thinking seriously of giving to health care workers on a daily basis prior to them getting the virus. It isn't a treatment for those that get the virus, it is hoped it will prevent those workers from getting infected in the first place.

It is thought it will only work if you have a tablet daily so it isn't a fix, more a prevention.

P.S. I have more faith in Chemists than most GPs.

• Super Moderator

I think we are close to a very effective treatment protocol - to quote Trump (whom I acknowledge is a moronic idiot) this means cure.

There was a well documented French Trial using hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin to tret covid-19. Once again not peer reviewed and not a large enough sample size to tick the A+ boxes of the scientific method savants but Novartis has stated they have fast tracked 120M dose regimes ready to go. Only moderate to acute symptoms will need treatment meaning that if it proves to be as effective as the trial then this problem will be gone in the next month or two.

Both these drugs have been through the FDA and TGA. Its a powerful combo but if it does the job... Remesdivir (aids drug) is also showing a lot of promise.

A vaccine will never arrive in time to fix the problem and loss of life if it is not fixed.

I am hopeful. :-)

• Like 3

Hey guys,

Most of you know that I'm in pharmaceuticals but if you didn't you now do.

I have linked an article below that concerns me and I have made some medication changes for my parents.

Anyone that is on ARB blood pressure meds is at much greater risk with this disease. Covid-19 binds to ACE-2 receptors which are expressed 300-500% more in patients on these meds.

In simple terms - if your blood pressure meds end in 'artan' or a part of the ARB family get you ass to your GP and ask to be put on Amlodipine (Norvasc) - these are calcium channel blockers that don't express ACE-2. They will still control your BP.

This sort of info will save lives and improve outcomes. Most GP's are aware of this - if not show them the article. The info is not widespread because its not proven clinically via trials yet. Don't be part of that trial! Reduce risk now if you can.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...116-8/fulltext

whats rimapril

• Super Moderator
Oops my Sevikar says Olmersartan... and I just got a new box 1 hr before your post. Good thing is I ran out of repeats.

well a box is normally 30 days. i would suggest talking to your GP and switching ASAP for what its worth.

that one will take about 8 days after you stop taking it to be clear of your body.

• Like 1

Unless I've read this wrong, this article says 'one drug (losartan) could be beneficial' and 'more research is required' (2 weeks after yours).

http://theconversation.com/what-we-know-about-ace-inhibitors-high-blood-pressure-and-covid-19-133970

I think we should be careful giving medical advise through social media.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator
Unless I've read this wrong, this article says 'one drug (losartan) could be beneficial' and 'more research is required' (2 weeks after yours).

http://theconversation.com/what-we-know-about-ace-inhibitors-high-blood-pressure-and-covid-19-133970

I think we should be careful giving medical advise through social media.

that's a fair article. ACE2 receptors are are being touted as anti-inflammatory's for lung tissue. there are many anti-inflammatory's that act the same way. I'm not sure I would use an anti-inflammatory that is the primary mechanism for Covid for entering the body. seems a little counter-productive I would think.

As I've said from the beginning make your own choices based on what is known so far. Given there is not perfect information then my logic has been to look at what information is available and reduce risk if you can do easily.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up Stu. Have booked in to see my GP this morning.

I was prescribed Atacand (which sounds OK) but have been using its generic Candesartan (not OK) in the morning. Plus Amlodipine (seems OK) at night.

• Super Moderator
Hi Stuba Thanks for the information and I understand its best I talk to my GP about this but Is Sevikar HCT 40/5/25 ACE-2?

Both you guys from the last 2 posts are on dual mechanisms meds. The Amlodipine doesn’t carry increased risk but the other mechanism for both of you is the ARB - olesartan and atacand is also an ARB. You are on both mechs because one on its own prob won’t do the job. Talk to your GP for sure but I expect the best way to move forward is accept you are high risk and take extra precautions to avoid this thing...in simple terms when you are on a more complex mix it’s safer to stay with it. GP’s are aware of the problems with arbs and will weigh all the factors and advise accordingly but if you recognise that you’ll get a rougher ride then it should help you to be more careful re avoidance. Be safe!