Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

COVID-19 / what’s your plan?

Tonjo

Hey everyone,

no pasta or rice on the shelves at the local Woolies, running low on tuna cans as well, everyone bulk buying toilet paper, no hand sanitiser left either. Seems like some panic buying.

Kinda glad I got a replacement gas bottle earlier this week.

What’s your plan?

Do you have a plan?

• Like 2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone,

no pasta or rice on the shelves at the local Woolies, running low on tuna cans as well, everyone bulk buying toilet paper, no hand sanitiser left either. Seems like some panic buying.

Kinda glad I got a replacement gas bottle earlier this week.

What’s your plan?

Do you have a plan?

I don't like rice or tuna , and haven't wiped my bum or sanitized my hands in years , and at my age there is no chance of me ever running out of gas !

P.S. Visitors you have been warned !

• Like 3

Hmmm...

Nothing new about this virus except unlike the Flu Virus which kills hundreds every year in Australia (A first world country) there is currently no Vaccine which means that unlike the Flu where the majority of the vulnerable are vaccinated and therefore protected not yet for this.... Hence the increased mortality.

My first plan of attack is to try and not catch it, failing that of course I’ll have to hope my immune system is strong enough to fight it. And If it’s not, then no further steps are required of me at that point.

Honestly, my biggest concerns are for my parents and partner contracting it. My mum is 68, suffers with diabetes, COPD, heart problems and a hereditary tumor in her kidneys, neck and middle ear. And if that’s not bad enough, the tumors will turn cancerous in time if not removed.an operation is a last resort as going under will more than likely result in her death because of how bad her COPD is.

My Dad is 71, while he doesn’t say much about his health, I know he has slight emphysema, had a bypass and stents put in and has sleep apnea.

My partner has bad asthma, she’s had a heart attack and had stents put in, also she has sleep apnea.

She easily gets short of breath in walking short distances and/or light work.

I would say all three are high risk, but what do I know. It’s just the flu bro. Just like the flu we have every year, you know, the yearly flu pandemic we have that cost billions of dollars to countries that have to lock down and desperately try and contain the virus. I mean that’s a good sign that it’s not any worse than the seasonal flu, right?

I mean if you're a young healthy whippersnapper then sure, it’ll be mild for most, just like the flu.

So, while we shouldn’t panic as if it’s the end of the world and human civilization, which it most certainly won't, like wise we shouldn’t be complacent in making convid-19 equivalent to seasonal flu.

I know this thread is being light hearted about it while I’m being a little too doom and gloom, I’ll just lighten up a bit and just say, I just farted, and there’s a High probability it will spread.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 4

@Shan Thanks for sharing mate, I’m sure there are more than a few people out there with the same worries as yourself. People with elderly parents or family will no doubt be thinking similar things. This thread can be anything you want it to be. A place for humour but also a place to get your thoughts out and make some sense of them. Hopefully this forum is a place to share your concerns and vulnerabilities without fear of being ridiculed.
  • Like 3

No shortage of the products you mentioned on the supermarket shelves when I was there today.

My concern is for my parents too as they are both over 80 now although they are in pretty good nic as my mum is a herbalist / naturepath.

The next few weeks will tell. ( If we should panic or not) :unsure

Bit worrying for most I would imagine

Probably should set up a bit of solar. ( I have the biz already)

It wont hurt to fill the gas bottles / fuel tanks. You will use it anyway :023:

Hmmm...

Nothing new about this virus except unlike the Flu Virus which kills hundreds every year in Australia (A first world country) there is currently no Vaccine which means that unlike the Flu where the majority of the vulnerable are vaccinated and therefore protected not yet for this.... Hence the increased mortality.

Direct from Australian Bureau of Statistics

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/by%20Subject/3303.0~2017~Main%20Features~Deaths%20due%20to%20influenza~5#:~:text=DEATHS%20DUE%20TO%20INFLUENZA%2C%202017,464%20influenza%20deaths%20were%20recorded.

DEATHS DUE TO INFLUENZA, 2017

In 2017 there were 1,255 deaths due to influenza, recording a standardised death rate of 3.9 per 100,000 persons. This is a significant increase from 2016 where 464 influenza deaths were recorded.

Is the flu vaccine 100% effective? No.

Perspective is needed here.

I remember in SA 2016: after they shut down the coal fired power plant so that SA appeared to have a higher percentage of green energy (really we just had less energy supply). There was that state wide black out after a storm knocked out the interconnector to VIC.

I was in Berri in the river land and I was doing some work in the local liquor store I think it was liquor land or bws.

Soon after losing power many people panicked. They rushed into the supermarket not to get canned food or anything like that. They got bags and bags of ice! Then people came into the liquor store with trolleys and stocked up with beer and spirits. Strange times.

You know the real scary part about this is the only thing that stopped the SARS outbreak was the northern hemisphere hit summer and these viruses don't handle summer so it died out while it was still just in the northern hemisphere. This virus is in both hemispheres and we in the southern hemisphere are just getting started in our cooler months.

This means the weather will kill this off for the others but not for us.

It will be us that fight this thing to it's death, not the countries where it started or spread.

Worse case I can think is an infected carer going back to work in one of our old age care places. Not real hard to imagine this exact scenario happening is it?.

Did you know that Wuhan is home to one of Chinas largest virology labs?

Actually, It wouldn't surprise me at all if it was being weaponized by China but escaped that lab causing China to loose control of the situation. Highly probable IMO.

• Like 2

Actually, It wouldn't surprise me at all if it was being weaponized by China but escaped that lab causing China to loose control of the situation. Highly probable IMO.

tin foil hat much

• Like 4

So sure are you. China has world domination ambitions so why wouldn't they. Hell ...I'd do it.

China was caught only this morning with a high tech ocean mapping ship in Australia's strategic waters off WA. Imagine if an Australian ship was caught with a high tech mapping ship in the China Sea. I suspect it would have been blown out of the water.

You can appease a potential enemy but history shows what the outcome usually is. Look up Nevil Chamberland and Adolf Hitler.

• Like 3