Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copyright & The Forum *EVERYONE PLEASE READ*

Collapse

For everything other than Pinball and Arcade.

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, mod chips are prefectly legal as far as i know, but generally when mod chip talk comes up piracy talk slips in there too. its hard to have one without the other.
    Always remember you are unique; Just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by cwispy View Post
      Mod chips are still a grey area. Do not assume the court case "Stevens v. Sony" gives anyone the right to own or use a modchip. If it ever goes back to court in Australia, I think you will see a very different outcome. The main reason that Sony lost the case was due to an argument about access to the boot code and the ROM's used.

Although I sell and install modchips, I pay very close attention to any moves which are being taken not only in Australia, but also in other parts of the world with regards to modchips. Also if a client asks, I advise them about the fact that it could be illegal, and that of course using a copied disk, even if you own the original disk, is a breach of the copyright act.
      I was positive that i read, 1 reason they lost is because the court seen the region coding as an invisible trade barrier. Which was against a US/Aus free trade agreement the was recently introduced.

meaning the mod chips allowed me to legally purchase US copies and play them on my Aus system.

That was my understanding.

Originally posted by phreak97 View Post
      yeah, mod chips are prefectly legal as far as i know, but generally when mod chip talk comes up piracy talk slips in there too. its hard to have one without the other.
      Piracy talk is not illegal, its only illegal if you go and do as you say
      Last edited by LOTR4U; 8 February 2009, 10:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

nothing is illegal until you get caught

Comment

I can't see a mod chip being illegal. It would be like Holden coming up and saying you can't change the rims on your car.

Piracy has the same public consensus as speeding. Most people do it, but bitch when they get done. Still illegal, but most people do it.

Comment

Reminds me of a cartoon I saw the other day

sigpic

Comment

I saw that one on thepiratebay
              BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When your down here with us, you'll float too!

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
              Working...
              X