Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's keep the dream alive, Melbourne meets 2020!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mckie1 View Post
    Hi Mike & Moyra.

March works great for us.
    Originally posted by toads View Post
    [MENTION=9311]Cursed[/MENTION]

March is good for me too

For a meet, not a comp.
    Originally posted by Glenn70 View Post
    If you don't mind only 3 pins, I can do in March or April.
    Guys that is an awesome response, any chance of a different month for someone? Happy to put [MENTION=17822]Glenn70[/MENTION] as April?

Not a lot of machines needed mate, would just suggest a smaller invite list. But again entirely up to you.

Originally posted by Hashman View Post
    [MENTION=9311]Cursed[/MENTION] I’ll wait until I see if [MENTION=18079]DangerRay[/MENTION] and I get a new lease before committing to a month next year.
    Cheers Dave, hopefully you will not mind filling one of the empty months when you know what is going on.

Originally posted by timmychap View Post

Inspired by the catch up with [MENTION=4040]robm[/MENTION] at the Fleece eh [MENTION=9311]Cursed[/MENTION]?!
    Haha, actually no. This was in my head as I said a couple of years ago, [MENTION=15233]Ryza[/MENTION]s meet last night prompted me to just come out and try to organise it. So much fun when there are 10+ people at a meet, and the fact you don't have to pay to play of course.

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT AN ATTEMPT TO HAVE YOU INCLUDE COMPS IN YOUR MEETS!!!!!!
    On that note, I really want to say now that this is purely for meets. NOT COMPS. As [MENTION=5477]hotty[/MENTION] said there are plenty of comps around for the comp players now.

In all honesty if that turns away a host (or players for that matter) I am ok with that, I really want this to be about the social side of pinball not the competitive side.

If people want to play each other on a game go for it.

Think it's a great idea and while I cant offer a venue - I can help on some of the other helping out suggestions above.!
    Thanks mate, good to have someone with your experience helping out.

Just meet at the Golden Fleece instead!
    Not really looking at people having to pay to play at this point.

Wow, great response so far guys. keep the suggestions and host offers coming!

Originally posted by RGR View Post
    CursedBall after the creator.
    Haha, sounds like a testicular disease!

Comment

Originally posted by RGR View Post
      wildball would have to be the most casual league in the country. @Audioenslaved, @timmychap will back me up here.
      Yeah, thru that, in fact it is so casual there have been occasions where [MENTION=9619]timmychap[/MENTION] has ducked off from the fierce competition for a quick snooze....oh...hang on...now I see remember why that happened.......

Dave
      Remember--The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Comment

Originally posted by toads View Post
        No, you were running a comp.
        This thread is about meets.
        A lot of difference.
        The whole point of this thread and has been said in other threads is to have a social gathering to catch up with friends and form new ones and eliminate the competitive structure,I have no issue guys having their own little battle in the background. If you want to see the same people well a comp is the perfect place for that as you will soon get to know where they frequent. [MENTION=9619]timmychap[/MENTION] rules like no food/drink/shoes are understandable but respectful behaviour shouldn't be a rule when someone invites you into their home and I have never seen anyone be disrespectful yet, that behaviour goes without saying, we are all adults but I think as soon as someone steps out of line there are plenty of burly blokes there that will soon eject them out on their arse. I'll probably be too busy eating drinking and playing pinball, or annoying some one like [MENTION=18011]PinballGod[/MENTION] and that other guy with the extra long name as they are playing their best game of the night, or telling [MENTION=5665]toads[/MENTION] to keep his hands in his pockets.

- - - Updated - - -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]118081[/ATTACH]

Nice little home made spit I got off an old Greek guy off eBay a few years ago. Best thing (besides pinball machines) I've purchased.
        Talk about rubbing salt into the wound?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by tas_tig3r View Post
        Pinball's pinball man! You can only ask! Lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
        Maybe [MENTION=15233]Ryza[/MENTION] can aren't they having a long distance relationship?

Comment

As a Vic boy Id love to be able to get to meets. I have been to a couple in Sydney and a few up in Brissy back in the day, but man life is crazy for me at the moment 3 kids job life sports ect
          Id be lucky to make a meet each quarter
          The best action is wrist action!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hotty View Post
            T [MENTION=9619]timmychap[/MENTION] rules like no food/drink/shoes are understandable but respectful behaviour shouldn't be a rule when someone invites you into their home and I have never seen anyone be disrespectful yet, that behaviour goes without saying, we are all adults but I think as soon as someone steps out of line there are plenty of burly blokes there that will soon eject them out on their arse. ?
            Unfortunately I have seen people not respect the host, their gameroom, their machines or their family in some cases. Not going to mention any names or venues, however i have seen people punch glass of machines REALLY REALLY hard, not think about their body odour, spilling food and pretty ordinary language and poor sportsmanship (even out of a competition) around kids.

To me, its far easier for the host to set some groundrules at the start, then everyone knows where they stand - then the burly blokes can step in and it normally self moderates fairly well!

One down from respect is appreciation - i've had polar opposites at comps/meets i've held. Generally my wife cooks some tucker and she has been overwhelmed by thanks, however there are others who stuff themselves, and drive off once done not showing any appreciation for the effort it takes to put something like that on. Trust me, it takes a LOT of effort, stress and sometimes expense to host these things - particularly those who have young families, a small bit of appreciation goes a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by hotty View Post
              [MENTION=9619]timmychap[/MENTION] rules like no food/drink/shoes are understandable but respectful behaviour shouldn't be a rule when someone invites you into their home and I have never seen anyone be disrespectful yet, that behaviour goes without saying, we are all adults but I think as soon as someone steps out of line there are plenty of burly blokes there that will soon eject them out on their arse.
              Completely agree on that front. We never needed to invoke the said 'rules'. When you have some 'unknown' people (which many AA'ers at a meet may be) being invited along to your house it can be confronting. Basically the only reason I'd suggest such a thing is to provide a host peace of mind that it has been considered, and will not be accepted.

While it's great to be able to rely on 'people will look after it', sometimes that's just more uncertainty.

I wouldn't be expecting poor behaviour from anyone (wildball or this hypothetical series of meets), and experience has borne that out. I don't think it invalidates providing it as another support to hosts who may be concerned about it.

Comment

Originally posted by robm View Post
                Unfortunately I have seen people not respect the host, their gameroom, their machines or their family in some cases. Not going to mention any names or venues, however i have seen people punch glass of machines REALLY REALLY hard, not think about their body odour, spilling food and pretty ordinary language and poor sportsmanship (even out of a competition) around kids.

To me, its far easier for the host to set some groundrules at the start, then everyone knows where they stand - then the burly blokes can step in and it normally self moderates fairly well!

One down from respect is appreciation - i've had polar opposites at comps/meets i've held. Generally my wife cooks some tucker and she has been overwhelmed by thanks, however there are others who stuff themselves, and drive off once done not showing any appreciation for the effort it takes to put something like that on. Trust me, it takes a LOT of effort, stress and sometimes expense to host these things - particularly those who have young families, a small bit of appreciation goes a long way.
                In this case those people wouldn't be asked to change their behaviour or not come back. Simple. There are certain rules that really don't need to be spoken about for behaviour. And in the situation above sometimes people get caught in the moment don't realise but if it's brought to their attention (I've had to ask once or twice to remember to treat these machines like their own, after which he was oh shit yup no worries got caught in the moment). You'll find that 99% of people are good the other 1% will need a talking to or not asked back.

We've had a very solid group of player over the past 5 years and it's been really fun and easy as the rules are known and
                In: Houdini, Iron man, SWLE, TWDLE, Whitewater, WOZ and Xmen
                Out: Avengers Hulk, BOP, BSD, Demo man, Elvis, Flintstones, Frank Thomas Big Hurt, Frankenstein, The Getaway:HS2, Gorgar, Grand Slam, Hobbit, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings, METPrem, Roadshow, RZ, Shadow, Spider-Man, STTNG, WCS, Wheel of Fortune, Wild life, WWELE

Comment

When we started with our meets 4 years ago, it was all by way of private invitation based on feedback from known aa members.

This expanded as we got to know more pinheadz. Definitely a lot of trust having people over with machines worth so much.

Rules are expected. Food and drinks a bonus. Friendship for life

Comment

I've had many a meet with new people coming along each time. I find that the mate ship and comradery always makes for a grouse time and I trust people to look after my machines while also having a great if not sometimes rowdy time.

I've never laid out any solid rules but I think along with obviously treating machines with respect, making adjustments (physically or within the software) without at least asking the owner/host should be frowned upon. Other than that its pretty much common sense and decency that makes these meets happen. I love seeing my pin room full of people playing them.

Oh and beer. I love beer too. Oh and talking shit. I love doing that as well.
                    Last edited by Hashman; 18th October 2017, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I've had many a meet with new people coming along each time. I find that the mate ship and comradery always makes for a grouse time and I trust people to look after my machines while also having a great if not sometimes rowdy time.

I've never laid out any solid rules but I think along with obviously treating machines with respect, making adjustments (psychically or within the software) without at least asking the owner/host should be frowned upon. Other than that its pretty much common sense and decency that makes these meets happen. I love seeing my pin room full of people playing them.

Psychically? [emoji23]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

I've never laid out any solid rules but I think along with obviously treating machines with respect, making adjustments (psychically or within the software) without at least asking the owner/host should be frowned upon. Other than that its pretty much common sense and decency that makes these meets happen. I love seeing my pin room full of people playing them.

Well said [MENTION=4749]Hashman[/MENTION]
                        Stern say pinball+beer=$$$
                        I say pinball+beer=[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[MENTION=9311]Cursed[/MENTION] Iíll wait until I see if [MENTION=18079]DangerRay[/MENTION] and I get a new lease before committing to a month next year.

In the meantime though. Was thinking about throwing a Flipout After Party at our place this Saturday night since we will have our guest of honour [MENTION=8741]Dedrok[/MENTION] here?

Any interest in that anyone?
                          Yep.
                          I'm interested for sure.

I been busy finishing some jobs before I head down.

Bring it [emoji3][emoji324][emoji324][emoji324][emoji324][emoji487][emoji482][emoji482][emoji482][emoji513][emoji513][emoji513]

Sent by using mental telepathy
                          The Artist Formally Known As #1

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]118081[/ATTACH]

Nice little home made spit I got off an old Greek guy off eBay a few years ago. Best thing (besides pinball machines) I've purchased.
                            IMG_0886.JPG

Comment

Updated calendar on the first post.

Just want to say again guys that the meets do not have to open if that is a concern.

Feel free to keep the suggestions and host offers coming.

Comment

Ok. Put me down for January I guess.

I think it will be closed due to space etc.

Havent thought about it much but I'd like it to be half tournament players to show them that you don't need to have a tournament to have fun, and half the nornal AA crew.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X