Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Questions about improving a DIY cab

hassifa

Question

Hello,

I am in the process of proto-typing / creating my own digital cab (minature bartop version, 24" playfield), and would like to know about some future improvements i could make to it.

Right now, i have a play screen and backglass all being run off a pc with pinballX as the frontend loader.

I have ordered some pinball buttons for the controls, and am planning on getting a digital plunger kit, and perhaps even a DMD.

The main improvements that i dont have a clue about though, are things like implementing a force feedback system, shakers, and additional LEDs above the playfield.

Are there any good repositories of information about each system that i could implement. I would really like to read up about all of this before finalising my design.

This is the currently state of my build, and i am about to make a mk2 prototype that is slightly larget to accomodate some design choices that i have modified.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hassifa

5 answers to this question

One of the easiest and most dramatic upgrades you can do is install tactile feedback speakers. (Exciters) and use another amplifier. You can then assign all pLayfield mechanical sounds (pops, slings, kickouts, etc) to the Exciters. This gives you realistic feedback that sounds and feels like a real pinball and can be achieved for less than $75 outlay and is dead simple to setup.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Adding shakers, contactors, flashing LEDs etc involves a lot of extra wiring, additional interface(s), power supplies and a bit of software setup, so @Jed's suggestion of going with Tactile Feedback (or SSFas its more widely known) is a good way to "dip your toes" into the feedback arena without having to spend a lot of time and $$$.

Also, design your cabinet in such a way that you can add the extra stuff later. Mounting the playfield monitor on some sort of hinged panel would help in that regard, so you'd simply slide out the glass, undo a clip then tilt up the monitor. This will then gives you access to everything underneath it in the cabinet.

Lastly, do yourself a favour and make the cabinet from Ply rather than MDF. It will be stronger, MUCH lighter and offer you more tactile feedback as it's less dense than MDF. Yes it will cost more, but pretty much everyone will tell you it's worth it.

how many actually use a 'surround' system for feedback i wonder ?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Hey Jed, I’m using the surround setup. Using 4 exciters and 2 subs boxes (the subs off Logitech 2.1 speakers) wired to two 2.1 Amps. Then have a seperate 2.1 setup with sub box for the back box.

The result is pretty amazing and the separation of sound and feel from the exciters and subs is great, pop bumpers feel like they really come from the top of the play field.

Takes a little tuning but worth it IMO.