Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

HD Vs. UHD (4K)

Dazzatron

Question

Have been looking for HD TVs recently for my upcomming project and was pointed to a UHD Model and started thinking should i just go for a UHD TV rather than a standard HD one.

I have a couple of Questions

1st - Has anyone used a UHD TV in a cabnet and is it worth the extra cost.

2nd - Do the current tables and Pinball Software Take advantage of the extra Resolution of a UHD TV.

24 answers to this question

Have been looking for HD TVs recently for my upcomming project and was point to a UHD Model and started thinking should i just go for a UHD TV rather than a standard HD one.

I have a couple of Questions

1st - Has anyone used a UHD TV in a cabnet and is it worth the extra cost.

2nd - Do the current tables and Pinball Software Take advantage of the extra Resolution of a UHD TV.

1. I think so, just for the smaller pixels...

2. Quite a few do, but you need a hard core video card to drive it. I have a Nvidia GTX750Ti and it doesn't seem to have quite enough grunt to handle over FHD resolutions. Others may have other opinions and tips...

Given that 4K resolution is 8.3 megapixels as opposed to 2.07 for 1080p, as @djc suggested you'd need a pretty grunty video card and possibly a higher spec CPU and more RAM.

Personally, I think the current 4K tables look pretty darn good at 1080p!

I was assuming it would require a bump in the PC Specs as well. I always like to think to the future when building things like this anyway.

@Dazzatron did you end up getting the UHD?

I've been deliberating/procrastinating same choice. At the price point I was tempted to try the hisense that JB sell and I see a new range was launched a few months ago overseas. Contrast and black levels look superior to 1080 screens. Not sure if that is just a product of the higher resolution and smaller pixels. My feeling is I'd still run 1080 for now and getting 4k future proofs it a bit when I eventually get a better card and as the platform progresses over the next couple of years. The progress this year in VPX tables has been pretty significant and it's only going to keep getting better.

My biggest concerns are over how the 1080 upscale works. Will it look worse than a good 1080 screen and will it introduce lag. I've spent quite a bit of time trying different settings and finally have it looking great but still really responsive. Early on my setup was laggy and it killed the experience.

Digging up this old thread a year later :)

I've been running a 1080p Sammy series 6 as my playfield for yonks now but it's showing signs that it might be on the way out soon. Sometimes the display just goes blank in the middle of a game and i lose all the tv settings customisation which is a major PITA. So i'm being forced to think about a new playfield display. I'd love a digital signage panel after reading some reviews for people that have them in their vpin but the cost is too great, so i'll be looking at a used tv panel again.

For people using 4K - what GPU are you using and how is the gameplay experience generally with a 4K display ? my platform hasn't changed for a couple years now, i5 4690k / 4GB 970GTX / 8GB ram and an SSD. I'd prefer not to have to upgrade anything as the good old 970GTX is still running VP10 at high settings perfectly in 1080p, even the new tables with sophisticated lightiing effects and doesn't slow at all even during large multiball play. But am concerned that if i do go 4K it might force me down an upgrade path for everything else eventually....

cheers

I’ve got an AMD R9 290x and it runs 4K flawlessly. I’m using a 4K monitor with freesync but think it achieves a stable 60fps all the time. 4K is really worth it massive upgrade for the well produced tables.

Your card seems to be roughly the same according to this.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-AMD-R9-290X/2577vs2166

With your latest tables g5 the 4K update would be real. If anyone finds any screens to sit a wide body going at a good price I may be tempted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too, got a widebody.

Really like the tables you have been working on lately g5k. The latest Tron is a ball-tearer :023:

Go for it guys it’s probably only a $2-300 difference now if you don’t have to upgrade any hardware. Was just playing fluppers white water tonight the detail is phenomenal.

AFM build is coming along nice and that will def be worth having 4K for. Photo of it testing on my monitor. Fine detail resolves at 4K and helps the realism.

60acf09b6ca0171800a54b70aa293aca.jpg

15763902c56c8c2adfac2bd6b45a9748.jpg

I've been running a 1080p Sammy series 6 as my playfield for yonks now but it's showing signs that it might be on the way out soon. Sometimes the display just goes blank in the middle of a game and i lose all the tv settings customisation which is a major PITA. So i'm being forced to think about a new playfield display. I'd love a digital signage panel after reading some reviews for people that have them in their vpin but the cost is too great, so i'll be looking at a used tv panel again.

For people using 4K - what GPU are you using and how is the gameplay experience generally with a 4K display ? my platform hasn't changed for a couple years now, i5 4690k / 4GB 970GTX / 8GB ram and an SSD. I'd prefer not to have to upgrade anything as the good old 970GTX is still running VP10 at high settings perfectly in 1080p, even the new tables with sophisticated lightiing effects and doesn't slow at all even during large multiball play. But am concerned that if i do go 4K it might force me down an upgrade path for everything else eventually....

cheers

Jed your PC spec will probably be OK. The GTX970 is a pretty powerful card and performance-wise is similar to the current GTX1060, which is what everyone seems to be recommending as a minimum to run 4K.

Have you considered a 4K PC monitor rather than a TV? Maybe something like this would do the job for you:

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35865/philips-bdm4350uc-43in-4k-uhd-ips-widescreen-led-monitor

Jed your PC spec will probably be OK. The GTX970 is a pretty powerful card and performance-wise is similar to the current GTX1060, which is what everyone seems to be recommending as a minimum to run 4K.

Have you considered a 4K PC monitor rather than a TV? Maybe something like this would do the job for you:

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35865/philips-bdm4350uc-43in-4k-uhd-ips-widescreen-led-monitor

Thanks Chris, that Monitor does look good! 43" with hardly any bezel, that should drop straight into my widebody.

To be honest i have never spent more that $200 on a panel for the vpin, in the past I've been buying older, quality brand tv's off gummy. My current bg is my old 720p 40" bravia from 2008, back when 40" was still one of the bigger screens.

My older bro just bought a 65" OLED for his lounge cost a kings ransom but man....what glorious picture quality. In an alternate universe i am rich and have an OLED in my vpin [emoji13]

@g5k how long till you release your version of AFM ? [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

I am using this exact monitor in my wide body VP build. Did a fair bit of research on suitable TVs, display panels and monitors and this LED monitor ticked a lot of boxes. Yes, it's not cheap but given this is where 90% of your interaction with the VP takes place IMHO it is the one area not to skimp on.

100% agree spend the money on monitor (and then you’ll keep spending but I wouldn’t skimp). Also agree monitor has worked out well for me. I’m 32” size though.

Not sure on release timeframe mate it’s a time thing and a lot of work to pull together. Don’t think people realise how many hours are involved.

All good, from what I've seen of you posting some lighting test videos on other forums, it will be worth it however long it takes. AFM being such an iconic game in real and virtual. Hope you make it a bit harder and truer to real life, I found the real AFM i played at Pinfest a zillion times harder than any of the virtual versions made so far!

I have a tv in mine at the moment 1080p Samsung series 5 I think. It’s the newest panel in the house but isn’t 4K, and I have a significant bezel left to right in my wide body cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cheers

Sounds like caps on the power board...cant imagine it being much different from pc displays? I did one last week...can walk you through it if you ever get around to having a look

- - - Updated - - -

Geez I shouldnt have read this thread LOL...I just decommissioned my 750ti to the HTPC (VP is out of action) and was looking at 1050ti for VP ( i know its bottom end) but I'm like Jed and never spend much LOL. Just bought a new TV for lounge and that killed me @$950 - replacing a free Samsung Plasma running the last 3 years and before that an Soniq 42inch SD set haha

Sounds like caps on the power board...cant imagine it being much different from pc displays? I did one last week...can walk you through it if you ever get around to having a look

- - - Updated - - -

Geez I shouldnt have read this thread LOL...I just decommissioned my 750ti to the HTPC (VP is out of action) and was looking at 1050ti for VP ( i know its bottom end) but I'm like Jed and never spend much LOL. Just bought a new TV for lounge and that killed me @$950 - replacing a free Samsung Plasma running the last 3 years and before that an Soniq 42inch SD set haha

Thanks acejas.... I've never tried to fix a tv power board before. And wouldn't know how to check a capacitor. I guess it's time I learned then, to youtube! :D

For my Vpin I've bought 2 playfield panels. The first was a 40" Sharp Acquos, a $4000 panel when released (!) that I got for $150 on gumtree. I stuffed it up by dropping the whole panel on it's corner when removing it to get to other things inside the vpin. The 2nd panel was my current Samsung Series 6, again a panel >6 years old (and easy to get cheap on gumtree) but fantastic picture quality, even though it is the older LCD .

I have had this problem before of picture cutting out, last time it was the remote control PCB which i had dangling off the playfield tv and inside the vpin like a fishing line...

how do some of you guys handle the remote control receiver for the playfield so you can still adjust the tv settings ?

Always something with these things to worry about! they keep you busy.

Edited by Jed

Infra red usb receiver/ transmitter, couple of dollars on eBay. attach under the cab the receiver and the transmitter next to the TV

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

Thanks, cool idea. For years I've been opening the coin door and sticking the remote in and waving it around till i get something. ....

Yeah definitely the ones out there are pretty easy

hey g5k unrelated question, i just updated to the latest vpx beta and now i get flippers that stay stuck on, when i play your latest version of Tron.

Any ideas why that is ?

Thanks !

hey g5k unrelated question, i just updated to the latest vpx beta and now i get flippers that stay stuck on, when i play your latest version of Tron.

Any ideas why that is ?

Thanks !

You probably have an old core.vbs lying around. Have to make sure you are running all the up to date stuff. Check through the thread on MB for help on what you may need to update. 2.2 has fast flips code hardcoded.