HD Vs. UHD (4K)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD Vs. UHD (4K)

Have been looking for HD TVs recently for my upcomming project and was pointed to a UHD Model and started thinking should i just go for a UHD TV rather than a standard HD one.

I have a couple of Questions

1st - Has anyone used a UHD TV in a cabnet and is it worth the extra cost.

2nd - Do the current tables and Pinball Software Take advantage of the extra Resolution of a UHD TV.

Originally posted by Dazzatron View Post
    Have been looking for HD TVs recently for my upcomming project and was point to a UHD Model and started thinking should i just go for a UHD TV rather than a standard HD one.

I have a couple of Questions

1st - Has anyone used a UHD TV in a cabnet and is it worth the extra cost.

2nd - Do the current tables and Pinball Software Take advantage of the extra Resolution of a UHD TV.
    1. I think so, just for the smaller pixels...
    2. Quite a few do, but you need a hard core video card to drive it. I have a Nvidia GTX750Ti and it doesn't seem to have quite enough grunt to handle over FHD resolutions. Others may have other opinions and tips...

Comment

There are comparisons on YouTube. Supposedly looks great but doesn't play great. Something to do with the refresh rate and processing of the TV from memory

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Given that 4K resolution is 8.3 megapixels as opposed to 2.07 for 1080p, as [MENTION=15691]djc[/MENTION] suggested you'd need a pretty grunty video card and possibly a higher spec CPU and more RAM.

Personally, I think the current 4K tables look pretty darn good at 1080p!
        www.ozstick.com.au

Comment

I was assuming it would require a bump in the PC Specs as well. I always like to think to the future when building things like this anyway.

Comment

My comment above is the TV technology not computer side. I was pretty keen. 120hz is an option also

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzatron View Post
              I was assuming it would require a bump in the PC Specs as well. I always like to think to the future when building things like this anyway.
              [MENTION=9272]Dazzatron[/MENTION] did you end up getting the UHD?

I've been deliberating/procrastinating same choice. At the price point I was tempted to try the hisense that JB sell and I see a new range was launched a few months ago overseas. Contrast and black levels look superior to 1080 screens. Not sure if that is just a product of the higher resolution and smaller pixels. My feeling is I'd still run 1080 for now and getting 4k future proofs it a bit when I eventually get a better card and as the platform progresses over the next couple of years. The progress this year in VPX tables has been pretty significant and it's only going to keep getting better.

My biggest concerns are over how the 1080 upscale works. Will it look worse than a good 1080 screen and will it introduce lag. I've spent quite a bit of time trying different settings and finally have it looking great but still really responsive. Early on my setup was laggy and it killed the experience.

Comment

Digging up this old thread a year later

I've been running a 1080p Sammy series 6 as my playfield for yonks now but it's showing signs that it might be on the way out soon. Sometimes the display just goes blank in the middle of a game and i lose all the tv settings customisation which is a major PITA. So i'm being forced to think about a new playfield display. I'd love a digital signage panel after reading some reviews for people that have them in their vpin but the cost is too great, so i'll be looking at a used tv panel again.

For people using 4K - what GPU are you using and how is the gameplay experience generally with a 4K display ? my platform hasn't changed for a couple years now, i5 4690k / 4GB 970GTX / 8GB ram and an SSD. I'd prefer not to have to upgrade anything as the good old 970GTX is still running VP10 at high settings perfectly in 1080p, even the new tables with sophisticated lightiing effects and doesn't slow at all even during large multiball play. But am concerned that if i do go 4K it might force me down an upgrade path for everything else eventually....

cheers

Comment

Iíve got an AMD R9 290x and it runs 4K flawlessly. Iím using a 4K monitor with freesync but think it achieves a stable 60fps all the time. 4K is really worth it massive upgrade for the well produced tables.

Your card seems to be roughly the same according to this.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...90X/2577vs2166

Comment

With your latest tables g5 the 4K update would be real. If anyone finds any screens to sit a wide body going at a good price I may be tempted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jodannar View Post
                      With your latest tables g5 the 4K update would be real. If anyone finds any screens to sit a wide body going at a good price I may be tempted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too, got a widebody.

Really like the tables you have been working on lately g5k. The latest Tron is a ball-tearer

Comment

Go for it guys itís probably only a $2-300 difference now if you donít have to upgrade any hardware. Was just playing fluppers white water tonight the detail is phenomenal.

AFM build is coming along nice and that will def be worth having 4K for. Photo of it testing on my monitor. Fine detail resolves at 4K and helps the realism.

Comment

Originally posted by Jed View Post
                          Digging up this old thread a year later

I've been running a 1080p Sammy series 6 as my playfield for yonks now but it's showing signs that it might be on the way out soon. Sometimes the display just goes blank in the middle of a game and i lose all the tv settings customisation which is a major PITA. So i'm being forced to think about a new playfield display. I'd love a digital signage panel after reading some reviews for people that have them in their vpin but the cost is too great, so i'll be looking at a used tv panel again.

For people using 4K - what GPU are you using and how is the gameplay experience generally with a 4K display ? my platform hasn't changed for a couple years now, i5 4690k / 4GB 970GTX / 8GB ram and an SSD. I'd prefer not to have to upgrade anything as the good old 970GTX is still running VP10 at high settings perfectly in 1080p, even the new tables with sophisticated lightiing effects and doesn't slow at all even during large multiball play. But am concerned that if i do go 4K it might force me down an upgrade path for everything else eventually....

cheers
                          Jed your PC spec will probably be OK. The GTX970 is a pretty powerful card and performance-wise is similar to the current GTX1060, which is what everyone seems to be recommending as a minimum to run 4K.

Have you considered a 4K PC monitor rather than a TV? Maybe something like this would do the job for you:
                          https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...en-led-monitor
                          www.ozstick.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by OzStick View Post
                            Jed your PC spec will probably be OK. The GTX970 is a pretty powerful card and performance-wise is similar to the current GTX1060, which is what everyone seems to be recommending as a minimum to run 4K.

Have you considered a 4K PC monitor rather than a TV? Maybe something like this would do the job for you:
                            Thanks Chris, that Monitor does look good! 43" with hardly any bezel, that should drop straight into my widebody.

To be honest i have never spent more that $200 on a panel for the vpin, in the past I've been buying older, quality brand tv's off gummy. My current bg is my old 720p 40" bravia from 2008, back when 40" was still one of the bigger screens.

My older bro just bought a 65" OLED for his lounge cost a kings ransom but man....what glorious picture quality. In an alternate universe i am rich and have an OLED in my vpin [emoji13]
                            [MENTION=16983]g5k[/MENTION] how long till you release your version of AFM ? [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by OzStick View Post
                              I am using this exact monitor in my wide body VP build. Did a fair bit of research on suitable TVs, display panels and monitors and this LED monitor ticked a lot of boxes. Yes, it's not cheap but given this is where 90% of your interaction with the VP takes place IMHO it is the one area not to skimp on.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X