Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virtual Reality (VR) Pinball is the missing link between Virtual Pinball & Real Pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Reality (VR) Pinball is the missing link between Virtual Pinball & Real Pins

Update: If you're new to this thread, just skip to post #47 as we're not using the Remap board as discussed up until then.

I just got a PS VR and am enjoying Pinball FX2 VR on my PS4. I must say it's a real game changer.

I own 2 real pinballs (and am/was(?) in the process of building a VP - long story) and I've heard others say that VP is crap because it's just not the same as real pinball (being 2d and all). Now with VR pinball, I personally feel that 'just not the same' feeling has been removed. Playing tables in VR feels like you're playing at a real pinball. Having played the tables in Zen Pinball, I must say it's amazing playing the same tables in PBFX2 VR, going from a flat 2d playfield to a fully immersing 3D playfield.

And now with the PinSim (http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/56...nball-machine/) you can make it feel like your standing at a real table while playing VR pinball.

The above link is for an Occulus Rift/PC version, but with this PS4 remap board (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1TwxXyu_xU) you can build your own PS4 PinSim.

I've ordered a remap board and @hotty's gonna help me build one (and thanks to @DallasJ for steering me in the right direction to find the remap board).

Watch this space for more details in the (hopefully) near future... Now, if only Pinball Arcade went full VR on a PS4!!
    Last edited by ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma; 16th October 2017, 12:08 PM.
    The universe is made up of protons, electrons, neutrons and morons.

Yeah but it's not a whole lot of fun for anyone watching you play..........
    www.ozstick.com.au

Comment

Ha! Not an issue for me. It's gonna be a 1 player setup. The only issue will be if 2 people want to play a one flipper each game

Comment

Just a shame you got to wear huge headgear on your face just to play pinball. I'll stick with vp and real pinball

Comment

Originally posted by OzStick View Post
          Yeah but it's not a whole lot of fun for anyone watching you play..........
          I've never found it fun watching someone else play unless I can stir them up and throw them off their game.

Comment

Not everyone can use VR, one in four I think the stats were going around. Secondly the computing power needed is massive. Thirdly you still want tactile feedback.

I think a combo of vpin, VR and PMD perhaps would sort most concerns out for everyone. Or technology like BAMs motion sensor could bridge the gap. For me I notice ridiculous amounts of screen tearing whenever I turn my head so VR alone is no where good enough for me just yet.

Either way I think there are years before any of it is the solution, that is why I built my vpin cab still. Will be keen to see if it's just a novelty for you or it sticks.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by redferatu View Post
              Not everyone can use VR, one in four I think the stats were going around.
              Yes, a friend was over the other day and nearly threw up playing Drive Club VR. He was going to buy the PS VR to play Gran Turismo sport VR but he's now having 2nd thoughts.

Secondly the computing power needed is massive.
              Yep that's why I went the PS VR and not PC route.

Thirdly you still want tactile feedback.
              Hopefully we'll be able to hook up a mercury switch to the L3 button for nudging just like in a virtual cab, plus I'm going to build the existing controller into the unit so the inbuilt shakers will vibrate if we get nudging working. Not sure how were going to hook up [MENTION=14]OzStick[/MENTION]'s plunger to the R3 toggle yet... might just have to use the R3 toggle as is.

Will be keen to see if it's just a novelty for you or it sticks.
              If the pinsim (PS4 version) works out. It won't be a novelty for me. It will replace my Virtual cab build.

By the way, have you played Zen Pinball, then played the same (available) tables on a PSVR via Pinball FX2 (not sure how similar it is in other VR versions??)?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by hotty View Post
              I've never found it fun watching someone else play unless I can stir them up and throw them off their game.
              10 10 10... 9 9 9... 8 8 8... Bastard!

Comment

The count is for you [MENTION=14607]ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma[/MENTION] (had to cut & paste that name) and JJJAAAAAACKPPPPPOOTTTTTT is for [MENTION=16270]extendo[/MENTION]

Comment

Originally posted by hotty View Post
                  The count is for you [MENTION=14607]ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma[/MENTION] (had to cut & paste that name) and JJJAAAAAACKPPPPPOOTTTTTT is for [MENTION=16270]extendo[/MENTION]
                  That's why i wanna build this, so i can have my head inside a box and my headphones in and you can say whatever you want and i won't hear a thing

Comment

But you might feel a thing or two.

Comment

Well I gave it a shot today thanks to [MENTION=14607]ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma[/MENTION] . The VR racing and I too lasted about 2 mins before I was ready to throw up using the VR head gear using a racing simulator. Stopped as I was really feeling weird and queezy. After my stomach settled I tried the pinball games and was I blown away. The headset poses no discomfort at all, its like a massive IMax theatre. The pinball 3d experience and the surrounding games room your in is absolutley mind blowing. I love it and with a simulated flipper button set I'm going to make will really give a real feel. Im not saying this will ever replace my pinballs but the cost to have this VR offer so much more than just pinball. The game designers are a wasted talent because the even though these tables are software, the physical elements of these games will work in reality, so if these no name designer can come up with these simple quirky concepts it's time these old school designers whack on a pair of 3d goggles for inspiration. When charging 15k for a rehashed BTDK I think they can afford new idea's.
                      I also played Batman and man was I immersed in the surroundings of Arkham city and the fun I had making jokes to the characters. I love it, it now brings gaming into a whole new realm and experience. All I can say is don't knock it until you have tried it and I don't just mean for pinball sim games. As far as racing I have a full on race kart and that at least gives me 10 laps before I nearly spew, this sim did it in 1 lap.
                      Last edited by hotty; 28th January 2017, 08:05 PM.

Comment

STFU Alfred! Jolly good, sir

Comment

Hey (impossible to tag your name) have you tried any other VR ? I'd be really interested to hear comparisons on the PSVR to the Vive and rift.

December I went to blacksite VR in Melbourne with friends, they have the room scale VR (HTC vive) but a setup like theirs at home would run into 2/2.5k.

PSVR / PS4 pro costing half that, is tempting!

I'm coming around to this for pinball, especially if you could setup a cab with flipper buttons, plunger etc. I've seen the mockups on yt for the rift/pinball apps. Still kind of thinking cumbersome for pinball but also the psvr is meant to be the lightest/most comfortable headset out there.

I'm more interested for driving sims, I have a cockpit for racing sims so with a headset, would be pretty cool. But my family would probably never see me again 😉

Comment

The PSVR racing sim made me sick.. there was a fan running in the room and it felt like the wind in my face. You'll love it.

Comment

I am still hinting to the missus that I *need* a PSVR, I did try for xmas but she got me a 12.9" iPad Pro instead - so wasn't a total loss.

Space games is where it will be at, racing I can see me being ill, I get motion sick playing on the wheel at work.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X