Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Virtual Reality (VR) Pinball is the missing link between Virtual Pinball & Real Pins

ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma

Question

Update: If you're new to this thread, just skip to post #47 as we're not using the Remap board as discussed up until then.

I just got a PS VR and am enjoying Pinball FX2 VR on my PS4. I must say it's a real game changer.

I own 2 real pinballs (and am/was(?) in the process of building a VP - long story) and I've heard others say that VP is crap because it's just not the same as real pinball (being 2d and all). Now with VR pinball, I personally feel that 'just not the same' feeling has been removed. Playing tables in VR feels like you're playing at a real pinball. Having played the tables in Zen Pinball, I must say it's amazing playing the same tables in PBFX2 VR, going from a flat 2d playfield to a fully immersing 3D playfield.

And now with the PinSim (http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/569647-how-build-pinsim-virtual-reality-pinball-machine/) you can make it feel like your standing at a real table while playing VR pinball.

The above link is for an Occulus Rift/PC version, but with this PS4 remap board (

) you can build your own PS4 PinSim.

I've ordered a remap board and @hotty's gonna help me build one (and thanks to @DallasJ for steering me in the right direction to find the remap board).

Watch this space for more details in the (hopefully) near future... Now, if only Pinball Arcade went full VR on a PS4!!

Edited by ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma

• Answers 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Not everyone can use VR, one in four I think the stats were going around. Secondly the computing power needed is massive. Thirdly you still want tactile feedback.

I think a combo of vpin, VR and PMD perhaps would sort most concerns out for everyone. Or technology like BAMs motion sensor could bridge the gap. For me I notice ridiculous amounts of screen tearing whenever I turn my head so VR alone is no where good enough for me just yet.

Either way I think there are years before any of it is the solution, that is why I built my vpin cab still. Will be keen to see if it's just a novelty for you or it sticks.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Not everyone can use VR, one in four I think the stats were going around.

Yes, a friend was over the other day and nearly threw up playing Drive Club VR. He was going to buy the PS VR to play Gran Turismo sport VR but he's now having 2nd thoughts.

Secondly the computing power needed is massive.

Yep that's why I went the PS VR and not PC route.

Thirdly you still want tactile feedback.

Hopefully we'll be able to hook up a mercury switch to the L3 button for nudging just like in a virtual cab, plus I'm going to build the existing controller into the unit so the inbuilt shakers will vibrate if we get nudging working. Not sure how were going to hook up @OzStick's plunger to the R3 toggle yet... might just have to use the R3 toggle as is.

Will be keen to see if it's just a novelty for you or it sticks.

If the pinsim (PS4 version) works out. It won't be a novelty for me. It will replace my Virtual cab build.

By the way, have you played Zen Pinball, then played the same (available) tables on a PSVR via Pinball FX2 (not sure how similar it is in other VR versions??)?

- - - Updated - - -

I've never found it fun watching someone else play unless I can stir them up and throw them off their game.

10 10 10... 9 9 9... 8 8 8... Bastard!

Well I gave it a shot today thanks to @ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma . The VR racing and I too lasted about 2 mins before I was ready to throw up using the VR head gear using a racing simulator. Stopped as I was really feeling weird and queezy. After my stomach settled I tried the pinball games and was I blown away. The headset poses no discomfort at all, its like a massive IMax theatre. The pinball 3d experience and the surrounding games room your in is absolutley mind blowing. I love it and with a simulated flipper button set I'm going to make will really give a real feel. Im not saying this will ever replace my pinballs but the cost to have this VR offer so much more than just pinball. The game designers are a wasted talent because the even though these tables are software, the physical elements of these games will work in reality, so if these no name designer can come up with these simple quirky concepts it's time these old school designers whack on a pair of 3d goggles for inspiration. When charging 15k for a rehashed BTDK I think they can afford new idea's.

I also played Batman and man was I immersed in the surroundings of Arkham city and the fun I had making jokes to the characters. I love it, it now brings gaming into a whole new realm and experience. All I can say is don't knock it until you have tried it and I don't just mean for pinball sim games. As far as racing I have a full on race kart and that at least gives me 10 laps before I nearly spew, this sim did it in 1 lap.

Edited by hotty

Hey (impossible to tag your name) have you tried any other VR ? I'd be really interested to hear comparisons on the PSVR to the Vive and rift.

December I went to blacksite VR in Melbourne with friends, they have the room scale VR (HTC vive) but a setup like theirs at home would run into 2/2.5k.

PSVR / PS4 pro costing half that, is tempting!

I'm coming around to this for pinball, especially if you could setup a cab with flipper buttons, plunger etc. I've seen the mockups on yt for the rift/pinball apps. Still kind of thinking cumbersome for pinball but also the psvr is meant to be the lightest/most comfortable headset out there.

I'm more interested for driving sims, I have a cockpit for racing sims so with a headset, would be pretty cool. But my family would probably never see me again 😉

I am still hinting to the missus that I *need* a PSVR, I did try for xmas but she got me a 12.9" iPad Pro instead - so wasn't a total loss.

Space games is where it will be at, racing I can see me being ill, I get motion sick playing on the wheel at work.

The PSVR racing sim made me sick.. there was a fan running in the room and it felt like the wind in my face. You'll love it.

which one did you play ?

I'd love to hear if anyone with a PSVR has played Project Cars, next to Grid Autosport, my favourite racing games, i don't like the full nitty-gritty simulations, just want a good fast race.

Hey (impossible to tag your name) have you tried any other VR ? I'd be really interested to hear comparisons on the PSVR to the Vive and rift.

No I have not so can't give an opinion as to which is better. I personally went the PSVR route as I already owned a PS4 and didn't want to buy a new 'full on' gaming computer to run an Occulus Rift setup. Have zero knowledge about the VIVE.

I'm coming around to this for pinball, especially if you could setup a cab with flipper buttons, plunger etc. I've seen the mockups on yt for the rift/pinball apps.

Yep, @hotty is helping me build a PS version (see my initial post). With PS4 having Zen Studio's Pinball FX2 VR it's going to be fun. PS also have Pinball Arcade so hopefully if they make VR versions for the PS4 (very doubtful seeing as how they've treated the PS platform in the past), then I'd be in heaven.

Still kind of thinking cumbersome for pinball but also the psvr is meant to be the lightest/most comfortable headset out there.

After a while, you forget you're wearing it. Just like wearing socks & jocks.

I'm more interested for driving sims, I have a cockpit for racing sims so with a headset, would be pretty cool. But my family would probably never see me again 

This is why I bought the PSVR. I've got a racing rig and 95% of my gaming is sim racing. Can't wait for the other games to go VR. In drive club, you choose a character at first setup. When you watch a replay of the race, you're sitting in the passenger seat and you look over to the driver and it's your character that you chose that's driving YOUR replay. It's a pissa! On the PS3 I, for about 2 miniutes, played around with Head Tracking in Gran Turismo (I think :unsure) and the novelty soon wore off because you couldn't look at the screen while looking out the window, but in VR...

Space games is where it will be at, racing I can see me being ill, I get motion sick playing on the wheel at work.

Yes as mentioned by @redferatu above, not everyone can play VR. BUT, not every game is the same so you don't get sick all the time. Your brain is filling in the blanks when you move so you actually feel the inertia. This is what I feel is lacking in driving sims. But in VR while driving I felt my body moving side to side around corners and forward when braking, but my body wasn't actually moving. I felt sick but then got used to it. Now I can play for hours. My mates on the other hand... 1 mate lasted 5 minutes in DriveClub then had to stop (he's rethinking his VR purchase now :lol) and @hotty lasted 30 seconds and he races go karts !!:lol. VR pinball is a game changer but the few people I've let play Batman Arkham VR have all said "I gotta get a PS VR". I explained it to @hotty like this (before he played it). When I play adventure games (like Tomb Raider, Uncharted etc) I feel like i'm watching a movie that takes hours and hours. But with Batman in VR it's like watching a movie but you're on set IN the movie.

which one did you play ?

I'd love to hear if anyone with a PSVR has played Project Cars, next to Grid Autosport, my favourite racing games, i don't like the full nitty-gritty simulations, just want a good fast race.

What was the game @ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma help need above

It was DriveClub VR.

DCVR is the only VR racing game out at the moment. Gran Turismo Sport was meant to be out but I don't think it is yet (it's not in the PS Store to buy :unsure). Project Cars & Grid aren't VR (yet!?!:realmad::unsure) but they can be played in 'Cinematic Mode':

Q: Will I be able to play non-VR games and watch video content on PS VR?

PS VR has a feature called Cinematic Mode, which lets users enjoy content in 2D, including PS4 games and movies, on a giant virtual screen while wearing the VR headset. The PS Camera is required for initial setup, but not when actually using Cinematic Mode.

I posted a review of the HTC vive/ Blacksite VR here, from when I went early December, search forum for blacksite VR if interested.

I went with 6 people, none of us experienced any ill effects whatsoever from using VR / HTC vive and half my group were not gamers. The Blacksite setup was really top notch, though.

I think people that experience screen tearing, lag etc haven't played VR on a really good system. The Vive is amazing. I'd love to try a psvr to compare, as price wise Sony can't be matched.

Hi all,

So ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma was so very kind to let me have a spin on his PSVR setup last night. And WOW I just don't have the words for this, definitely the next level of gaming. I really was blown away and at one point had a 'code brown' while playing resident evil 7. I gotta say that's the single scariest gaming moment I've ever had with a blood dripping zombie chick a few inches away face to face with me looking alive into my eyes, I really felt virtual panic :o .

Anyway, it truly gave you an immersive feel of being somewhere else and was very smooth for a console setup. My mind is going on and on thinking about the possibilities with this gear now.

The virtual pinball really was amazing, depth, response and realistic ball behavior were all great. It however seem to lose you head position a bit, needing you to quick reset the position, easily done in game. The metal play field ramps were a little shimmery and blocky, not quiet chrome looking or smooth enough (although on the PS4 Pro I'm told this is greatly improved. Was it good though, you bet, with a pinball machine cabinet interface this could be serious fun. I can't help but wonder where this will go over the next few years, this being just the start of home VR.

The race car sim, had no problems here and really felt like I was driving. Dips in the road really tricked my senses and I felt my guts drop a few times on bumps. I kind of forgot it was a games at one point.

All in all I really couldn't believe this is a plug and play full VR hope experience that you can just buy almost anywhere (with a wait). I really was blown away by the sense of being there, feeling almost like being in a movie or some sort weird dream. A tip, COMMON SENSE BUT...don't start too close to walls and stuff, you will smash your hands lol.

The down. I didn't seem to get any motion sickness during play, but I felt queasy in the guts slowly after about 10 minutes after a playing, it lasted an hour or so. I'm not sure why it had a delayed onset, but later it turned into an odd headache. Maybe this sort of thing takes some getting used too. I can tell you though 2 hours just vanished into another world.

I want one too please :rolleyes

I really was blown away and at one point had a 'code brown' while playing resident evil 7. I gotta say that's the single scariest gaming moment I've ever had with a blood dripping zombie chick a few inches away face to face with me looking alive into my eyes, I really felt virtual panic :o .

Ohhhh... give her a kiss :lol. You know you want to :p

hqdefault.jpg.d982ea17b074780df819478493c6f2c0.jpg

Been looking into possibly getting the VR system for my PS4 . Couple of questions for the guys that have them already :

- You need to have the Playstation Camera for on top of the TV correct ? Is there a certain model etc. that it has to be ? I've seen a few different looking ones .

- Do the VR games require your PS4 to be connected to the web ? I currently don't have internet access in my games room .

- Where did you guys get the VR pinball game from ? Haven't seen or heard of it anywhere except for here .

Been looking into possibly getting the VR system for my PS4 . Couple of questions for the guys that have them already :

- You need to have the Playstation Camera for on top of the TV correct ? Is there a certain model etc. that it has to be ? I've seen a few different looking ones .

- Do the VR games require your PS4 to be connected to the web ? I currently don't have internet access in my games room .

- Where did you guys get the VR pinball game from ? Haven't seen or heard of it anywhere except for here .

1a) Depends where your tv is. It works best if the camera is head height. I've got my TV on a Vogal Stand so the camera sits on the base at neck height. Works fine there. It even works when sitting in my racing rig. I just put the camera on the edge of the stand and point it down. It's adjustable (see first link next para).

1b) You need this PS4 Camera (I think the shops call it the PS4 Camera Version 2): https://www.playstation.com/en-au/explore/accessories/playstation-camera/. Buy from anywhere the PS4 is sold. Approx $90. DO NOT get the square one as I know nothing about it and I think the square one is pre PS VR (https://ebgames.com.au/ps4-162944-PlayStation-4-Camera-PlayStation-4). Get the round one in the first link as it's for the VR.

2) If you buy the games on disk you may not need it but there are always regular game and PS updates so best to be internet connected. PS4 is wifi if you can get wifi going.

3) Pinball FX2 VR downloaded from the playstation store on the ps4 (so you WILL need internet access for this!!). Here's the link which has a buy/download link so not sure if you can purchase it online then install it via usb :unsure. https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/pinball-fx2-vr-ps4/... actually I clicked the buy link and it takes you to the PS store so I think you login with your PS account, buy it, then it's available for download on your PS4, which obviously you'll need internet access. Sorry! https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-au/search/q=pinball%20fx2%20vr

Oh and if you need to buy a PS4, you'll want to buy a PS4 Pro not normal slim as it's got a bit more grunt for the VR, even though the normal ps4 slim says VR ready on the box (the one I recently bought from an AA member did anyway) in case you already have one. Big W are cheapest at the moment at $529 unless someone knows cheaper (https://www.bigw.com.au/product/playstation-4-pro-1tb-console/p/WCC100000000401984/)

Here's an FAQ i found that might be helpful: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/10/03/playstation-vr-the-ultimate-faq/

I think I answered all your questions :unsure. Let me know if I missed anything.

would love to hear from anyone who has played the PSVR and Project Cars, using a PS4 Pro. That would by my biggest reason to get one.

read the other day that Sony have not ruled out supporting PSVR on PC officially in the future. with the ninja PC you need for the Rift or the VIve, Sony could be on a winner there too, that could force a VR price war which i might wait for :)

wonder why Nintendo are not interested, it's weird gived they brought motion control to the masses.

back on the topic of virtual pinball. pinball fx2 is kind of naff pinball game though, more like an aracde game with all that extra non pinball crap going on. if Pinball Arcade got VR support, that would be huge!