Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

VPGL 16 - Double Flip (Rules for the competition)

Hi Pinballers,

Welcome to the Visual Pinball Gaming League with VPGL 16 - Double Flip. This tournament is the 4th of the new decade and part of the overall VPGL 2020 and all gamers worldwide are welcome to play. You can join in at any time and play.

Competition:

The player with the most points in this tournament will be the VPGL 16 champion. There will be 9 games played over 8 weeks, competing world wide on some of the most challenging and toughest pinball games of all time. 2 tables will be released at the start, then 1 table each week, with the final 2 tables released at the same time for the finale. Games are only open for 17 days each, so pinballer's must play their best in that time and post their scores before the game is closed. At the end of each VPGL, points will be accumulated for each gamer toward the Visual Pinball Championship of 2020 Scoreboard. The highest score after (the anticipated) four VPGL’s are completed will be the undisputed champion of Visual Pinball for 2020.

Prizes:

There will be a VPGL 2020 Cup (coffee cup, or the winner can choose stubby holder instead) for the overall winner after the years for competitions and ht e priceless bragging rights are always on offer.

Point system:

The incremental point system will be used for each pinball table. 1st place will earn 100 points, 2nd place 99 points, 3rd place 98 points and so on. All players will earn competition points for their scores. If there is a tie on the overall scoreboard, then a head to head game win count will be used to determine the final placings. For example, if two players tie for 18th place, then whoever has scored higher per game on a head to head basis will earn 18th place and the other gamer will earn 19th place. If there is a tie also on head to head game count, the gamer who has the highest accumulated game score points will be the winner.

Overall Point system:

The overall point system for VPGL 2020 will be that points are awarded to anyone finishing in the top 20 for each VPGL in the year. 25 points for first, 22 for second, 19 for third, 17 for 4th and then it decreases by 1 point per position down to 20th. If there is a ties after 4 competitions for the 2020 Champion, it will be based on a countback where the player with the most game wins will be the outright winner, if still even it will go on the number of second place and then 3rd places. If still even it will be on total points awarded for placings from all games within 2020. If then the top players cannot be separated, it will be deemed a draw.

Games:

Tables are nominated by the competitors and sent by PM to the Game master (JustAnotherRat). Tables must be selected from those readily available to Visual Pinball 10 (VPX) that do not require additional installation such as P-Roc to run. Original tables are not to be nominated without prior approval (we've had problems previously with them not being competition ready). If there are multiple versions of the same table available then the players can choose to use whatever version they wish to use.

Please nominate tables that you've played and tested (at least a little) so that we don't have broken games come up in competition

The number of games that can be nominated by each competitor in VPGL 16 is 6 which are to be made up of 2 x EM, 2 x SS and 2 x DMD. (Alpha numeric games can be nominated as either SS or DMD games at the nominators discretion. The games to be played in the competition will be randomly drawn from the pool of nominations. The order of game play will be determined by the Gamemaster and each game will be released weekly for competition.

If you would like to nominate games and have a say in what is played, please send them by private message (PM) to JustAnotherRat by midnight Sydney time on Wednesday 23rd September 2020. The first two games will commence on Friday 25th September 2020.

Games can be played on a cab or desktop and is all inclusive.

Additional exclusions for VPGL 16 and not eligible for nomination for this VPGL are:

​​Abra Ca Dabra (Electro Mechanical)

Aladdin's Castle (EM)

Batman - Dark Knight (DMD)

Big Brave (Electro Mechanical)

Black Pyramid (Solid State)

Centaur (SS)

Centigrade 37 (Electro Mechanical)

Comet (SS)

Diner (Alpha Numeric)

Elvis (DMD)

Fathom (Solid State)

Fish Tales (DMD)

Flash Gordon (Solid State)

Funhouse (Alpha Numeric)

Gilligan's Island (DMD)

Grand Prix (Electro Mechanical)

Heat Wave (EM)

Humpty Dumpty (Electro Mechanical)

Indiana Jones (DMD)

Jacks Open (EM)

Krull (Solid State)

Medieval Madness (DMD)

Pro Football (Electro Mechanical)

Space Shuttle (SS)

The Walking Dead (DMD)

The Who's Tommy Pinball Wizard (DMD)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Counted as DMD)

Settings:

The ROM settings will be posted in each game thread and gamers must ensure they compete on these settings only. No continues are allowed when submitting a score and must be played from the beginning of the game.

Submissions:

Gamers are to post a screenshot/photo showing their score in the game thread. Games are only open for 17 days and any score submissions made after the game is closed will not be accepted.

Players:

Players can play all or just some of the games. Players do not need to nominate tables to play, they can play any table during the tournament. Streaming games and posting/sharing tips are encouraged, as is friendly banter in the gaming community. Striving for PBs, learning and playing the best you can are all highly encouraged. As all members at AA are registered, there is no additional registration process for the championship.

Good gaming and good luck to all competitors.

JustAnotherRat

giphy.gif?cid=35e4938djvu8kbrvuml12agggdlfmsdr5635kx803nd0o5ez&rid=giphy.gif

• Like 10

I've put the nominated games through the randomiser, and there is an interesting mix of games coming up.

With over 39 games (...yes there were 40) nominations 9 have been chosen from the nominations to be played in VPGL 16 and finish of the overall VPGL 2020 championship.

Who will win a game, who will win this league and who will walk away named the undisputed Visual Pinball Gaming League Champion of 2020?

The action all starts tomorrow, so get your rest and be ready to attack the competition fresh.

:071:

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Putting the feelers out.... is anyone interested in running future VPGL's?

giphy.gif?cid=35e4938d9rouoscsw8hyzab7juh863d6e1hl5d3f6jtidm4p&rid=giphy.gif

JAR,

i don’t have experience to run a gaming competition. I could help with updating scores if you needed but I think it needs an experienced VP gamer to oversee the comp. I also understand how demanding it is in running these things. I did the draw for a cricket competition and it is much more complicated and time consuming than people think. is it possible to have a platform where people enter their own scores and remove their previous score if it’s bettered. Also can table start and end reminders be automated can technical questions oversight be directed to another experienced player and take that onus off the tournament organiser. Let me know what you think mate. Share the load and increase your enjoyment.:026:

Russ

JAR,

i don’t have experience to run a gaming competition. I could help with updating scores if you needed but I think it needs an experienced VP gamer to oversee the comp. I also understand how demanding it is in running these things. I did the draw for a cricket competition and it is much more complicated and time consuming than people think. is it possible to have a platform where people enter their own scores and remove their previous score if it’s bettered. Also can table start and end reminders be automated can technical questions oversight be directed to another experienced player and take that onus off the tournament organiser. Let me know what you think mate. Share the load and increase your enjoyment.:026:

Russ

I'm happy to take help however it comes.

Currently I put the scores into Google Sheets, I can give others access to the sheet so they can to but I think getting players to update their own is a bit much. If some people including yourself want to help I can give you access.

If I could set up threads to automatically start at set times it would be awesome, but unfortunately I don't think that is possible. Using the Google Sheets has saved a good chunk of time though.

I could update the scores if that would ease he load. Are there other major aspects that could be shared. Maybe selecting games and rolling out and closing games. That would free you up to play a bit and give you some breathing space to oversee the comp. did you take over from Jed. I read a few of the VP15 threads and it sounds like he got burnt out.

I could update the scores if that would ease he load. Are there other major aspects that could be shared. Maybe selecting games and rolling out and closing games. That would free you up to play a bit and give you some breathing space to oversee the comp. did you take over from Jed. I read a few of the VP15 threads and it sounds like he got burnt out.

To be honest, what you're offering with starting and closing games and updating scores is pretty much all there is to it.

It's not that hard, it just sometimes takes more time than I have. I tend to be pretty busy and at times it all becomes a bit much. I love what the VPGL offers and for that reason try to keep it going.

Jed started the VPGL and has had a couple of stints of running it since. I've ran a few and Skids ran some. I can't recall others running them but if they have I apolgise for leaving them out.

Oh cool if that helps I can do the scores but request that an experienced VP person oversees the comp. there are too many variables in machines and traps for a young pup like me. You need someone to keep it on the lowdown which I thought you did really well.

just sounding out some ideas here because inputting your own data is not a new concept. in cricket all teams put in their own scores through an app but once upon a time it was done through another database method. I’m sure we could do the same and would be very beneficial for the future of the league. Just working out how to do it. You can also give access only to certain columns or rows in excel. You can also copy and paste from notepad into an array using the comma delimiting function{I think)Everyone would have notepadThere would always need someone to review of course.

Do you want me to look into and see if we can come up with something that maybe suitable.

Edited by RusstyT

Hi All

I just wanted to say thanks to all involved in keeping this great competition running. Also a big thank you to WOB for making the awesome keyrings, I received mine last week. It holds the key to my VPin and they look great.

• Like 1

Oh cool if that helps I can do the scores but request that an experienced VP person oversees the comp. there are too many variables in machines and traps for a young pup like me. You need someone to keep it on the lowdown which I thought you did really well.

just sounding out some ideas here because inputting your own data is not a new concept. in cricket all teams put in their own scores through an app but once upon a time it was done through another database method. I’m sure we could do the same and would be very beneficial for the future of the league. Just working out how to do it. You can also give access only to certain columns or rows in excel. You can also copy and paste from notepad into an array using the comma delimiting function{I think)Everyone would have notepadThere would always need someone to review of course.

Do you want me to look into and see if we can come up with something that maybe suitable.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been busy with other things so have only just read this.

Having people put their own score into the spreadsheet as well as uploading a photo to here, in my mind, is expecting too much of the participants. I don't want to turn anyone off the competition because they can't be bothered doing both.

The idea of having people put their own scores in is simple enough, but it adds an additional level of administration as each person will need to create an account (or use an existing one) for Google Sheets and the admin would need to manually specify what sheets or parts of sheets that person can modify. I expect that the easier way would be to create a separate sheet for each player and have all of the games on there and they enter their own score, but what about those that just pop in for a game here and there? I think the dump a screenshot and run makes it easier enough for people to want to compete.

I probably just need to toughen up a bit and just do it. If you're happy to help update the scores it would save me a little time and I'm happy to have help. If someone else wants to take over, I'm all for that as well.

Thanks heaps JAR for organising the latest comp. Work and family commitments got in the way a little and I missed a couple of deadlines. Still, had a lot of fun!

ditto !! i was in the same boat. Great Job JAR ! it can get a bit difficult to find the time to play, let alone keep the scores updated

For future VPGL's

maybe use a online leaderboard? somehting like this ?

https://www.rise.global/pages/simple

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been busy with other things so have only just read this.

Having people put their own score into the spreadsheet as well as uploading a photo to here, in my mind, is expecting too much of the participants. I don't want to turn anyone off the competition because they can't be bothered doing both.

The idea of having people put their own scores in is simple enough, but it adds an additional level of administration as each person will need to create an account (or use an existing one) for Google Sheets and the admin would need to manually specify what sheets or parts of sheets that person can modify. I expect that the easier way would be to create a separate sheet for each player and have all of the games on there and they enter their own score, but what about those that just pop in for a game here and there? I think the dump a screenshot and run makes it easier enough for people to want to compete.

I probably just need to toughen up a bit and just do it. If you're happy to help update the scores it would save me a little time and I'm happy to have help. If someone else wants to take over, I'm all for that as well.

JAR all good mate. I appreciate you have life other than pinball and hopefully we can free that up a bit. I agree that going in and out google sheets is too clunky. i'm trying to hone to a system that isn't too onerous for contestants and make our life easier. What do you think about an editable table in a post seperate to the official score sheet. If players can get access to that post the scores can be copied and pasted into the official score sheet. if we could do this I don't think it would be too onerous and the players would always be up to date.

This is an example microsoft word table that is editable provided you have access to the post. Is it possible to give access to all competitors to a single post. The idea is players input their picture and update the table when they post.

VPL Test table for Competitor Score input [TABLE=class: MsoTableGrid]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]Game 1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Player 1[/TD]

[TD]1500000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Player 2[/TD]

[TD]2200000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Player 3[/TD]

[TD]6700000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Player 4[/TD]

[TD]7500000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Player 5[/TD]

[TD]1900000[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

JAR all good mate. I appreciate you have life other than pinball and hopefully we can free that up a bit. I agree that going in and out google sheets is too clunky. i'm trying to hone to a system that isn't too onerous for contestants and make our life easier. What do you think about an editable table in a post seperate to the official score sheet. If players can get access to that post the scores can be copied and pasted into the official score sheet. if we could do this I don't think it would be too onerous and the players would always be up to date.

This is an example microsoft word table that is editable provided you have access to the post. Is it possible to give access to all competitors to a single post. The idea is players input their picture and update the table when they post.

VPL Test table for Competitor Score input [TABLE=class: MsoTableGrid]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]Game 1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Player 1[/TD]

[TD]1500000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Player 2[/TD]

[TD]2200000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Player 3[/TD]

[TD]6700000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Player 4[/TD]

[TD]7500000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Player 5[/TD]

[TD]1900000[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I'm open to suggestions and thoughts on this. Do you think not having people post directly in the thread will potentially mean that they don't visit the thread for banter?

I'm trying to be mindful of not breaking what seems to be working just to make things easier for me.

I'm open to suggestions and thoughts on this. Do you think not having people post directly in the thread will potentially mean that they don't visit the thread for banter?

I'm trying to be mindful of not breaking what seems to be working just to make things easier for me.

No I don't think its a major change to what you have set up. The image of the score and comments attached are the same. The only difference is instead of putting the score as the first line of the post put it in a table in another post which would be the next one after the official score sheet.

Mate this is a great product because its very welcoming of players of all platforms, fun, looks smick and is kept on the lowdown. It doesn't matter that its not PAPA. :lolYou can push your pinball as far or little as you want and enjoy a great community of people who are willing to share. Thats gold. Ultimately you have a healthy community if people feel ownership and contribute to it. Obviously this league has taken considerable time and effort to build and keep going and it's important to look after the people running it.

@JustAnotherRat just to repeat I'm happy to help out with updating scores. I don't have the amount of time spare to actually play too much in tourneys lately. but I could always find time to help you out with scores or something else, if it means keeping this great comp going.

You have done a brilliant job promoting and growing the comp from it's humble beginnings when we had like only 5 or so players in those early days! And the talent and standard of play has grown along with that. It would be a shame to let it fall off, if all you need is a little help here and there.

If I have one suggestion to make running the comp easier for you - less is more. Longer breaks between tourneys. less games being played simultaneously. The current format has sometimes 3 games going at once - even 4 at times ? that's a LOT to keep track of. I know people like variety of games, but a single game (or max, 2) being played would give time to really get into that game. And would make your job HEAPS easier.

I hope you stay mate and continue to run this great comp. but also understand if you can't. Everyone really appreciates the work you've done!

Cheers

Jed

• Like 1