Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

VPGL 15 - Game 3 ~ Comet - FINISHED

GAME 3.... and we're riding the roller coaster...

VPGL 15 - Game 3 ~ Comet

Nominated by legin

1505197847_qwer(Small).jpg.5f7e7bf01872f215ccdfe3884938eec8.jpg

Comet was released by Williams in 1985 and is a 1-4 player solid state pinball machine.

Design by: Barry Oursler

Art by: Python Anghelo

Software by: Brian Dolatowski, Bill Pfutzenreuter

Notes:

• Designer Barry Oursler told us how this game got named: Comet wasn’t the original name. It was going to be 'Riverview', named after the amusement park that used to be across the river from Williams. After discussions with management and some of our big distributors, I changed the name and used one of the roller coaster names from that park. Comet was a common name for roller coasters, along with Cyclone and Hurricane. I figured I might as well keep the theme going.
  • Oursler also told us that artist Python Anghelo wanted the top rollover inserts to be 1-9-8-6 in recognition of Halley's Comet near-Earth fly-by in 1986.
  • Comet was the first solid-state machine to feature a one million point shot, using Steve Kordek's voice to announce "One Million!". An example of an electro-mechanical game with a million point shot is Williams' 1957 'Arrow Head'.
  • Bill "Pfutz" Pfutzenreuter told us that Brian Dolatowski was the original programmer. Brian finished all the rules, then left Williams for another job. Pfutz inherited the game, fixed a few bugs, and convinced management to give him more time to make the game better by adding more light shows and flasher effects.

The VPX file can be downloaded here:

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/comet-williams-1985/

The B2S can be downloaded here:

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/co...iams-1985-b2s/

The ROM can be downloaded here:

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?a...s&showfile=891

Downloads linked are just suggestions, you can play on any VPX version or the table as long as it is the same rule set (IE Pro, LE etc.). You can let us know what version you are playing and why you play that one in the thread if you like,

Score Submissions:

Please make a new post for each score you post, with your score as the first line of your post, along with a photo or screen shot showing your score. This game finishes Sunday 19 July 2020, Midnight pm Sydney time.

This game is set to 3 ball as default and that is what we'll play for this competition.

No continues are allowed when submitting a score and must be played from the beginning of the game.

Game on... who can rule the amusement park?

Scores

[gs]1ZwANkDfEouMqykiIAmUGwQMh97Tb-t0FFfahg9FxRsc[/gs]

Edited by JustAnotherRat

i wasn't sure if this was a good score or not, but its in the ball park.......well atm:rolleyes

Yeah, I'm not sure either. Plenty of quick drains on this one, so keeping 3 balls in play for a decent time is a challenge. Might have to read the rules at some point.😀

• Like 1

Starting to learn how to play this one. Although the corkscrew ramp on the left is hard for me to get the ball right round to the rollovers 484c118f1c1f0d0b9d73835e51f804f6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1,637,000.........those who enjoy this table need to have a good hard look at themselves! I got this score a couple of days ago but didn't post it because it wasn't much better than my first score & thought I could improve on it. After about another 500 games that's clearly not going to happen. Probably the most frustrating table I've played, except perhaps that one in VPGL 13 that I'm not allowed to mention.😊

ba169adab72ae0b7e2d37f0ca97bdb9e.thumb.jpg.cb489bc8e5d6d7655ca97c35b02fc53d.jpg

• Like 1

1,637,000.........those who enjoy this table need to have a good hard look at themselves! I got this score a couple of days ago but didn't post it because it wasn't much better than my first score & thought I could improve on it. After about another 500 games that's clearly not going to happen. Probably the most frustrating table I've played, except perhaps that one in VPGL 13 that I'm not allowed to mention.😊

Okay.. so it's not just me! Haha. I'm going crazy with this damn table.

7,708,460.......wow, what a difference a version makes! I already had Bord's version of this on my cab, so that's the one I was playing. Decided to try the one that JAR linked at the start of this thread - chalk & cheese as far as difficulty goes. That left outlane is so much more forgiving - it's a drain monster on the other one. Pretty much every shot is easier to make, though the corkscrew is still a bit of a bugger.

9d3aa66c37fcb208abbbc16f55a94e51.thumb.jpg.39b726d10f0c1fd85b1f28d2fa5cd6a6.jpg

• Like 1

7,708,460.......wow, what a difference a version makes! I already had Bord's version of this on my cab, so that's the one I was playing. Decided to try the one that JAR linked at the start of this thread - chalk & cheese as far as difficulty goes. That left outlane is so much more forgiving - it's a drain monster on the other one. Pretty much every shot is easier to make, though the corkscrew is still a bit of a bugger.

It really can be worth trying different versions. I didn't have it on my cab so am using the one I linked. Given your comment, I recommend everyone using this version.