Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

VPGL 14 - Game 2 ~ Gilligan's Island

GAME 2.... And we are stranded in isolation...

VPGL 14 - Game 2 ~ Gilligan's Island

Nominated by Mr Bungle

1004f1.thumb.jpg.75c16be49694b2c6104776db50ed1930.jpg

Gilligan's Island was released by Midway in 1991 and is a Dot Matrix Display pinball machine.

Design by: Ward Pemberton, Dan Langlois

Art by: John Youssi

Dots/Animation by: John Newcomer

Mechanics by: Greg Tastad

Music by: Jon Hey

Sound by: Jon Hey

Software by: Mike Boon, Dan Lee

Notes: Voice-over artist Tim Kitzrow provided the voice of Mr. Howell.

The VPX file can be downloaded here:

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/gi...ally-1991-vpx/

The B2S can be downloaded here:

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/f...d-midway-1991/

The ROM can be downloaded here:

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?a...&showfile=1180

Downloads linked are just suggestions, you can play on any VPX version or the table as long as it is the same rule set (IE Pro, LE etc.). You can let us know what version you are playing and why you play that one in the thread if you like,

Score Submissions:

Please make a new post for each score you post, with your score as the first line of your post, along with a photo or screen shot showing your score. This game finishes Sunday 19 April 2020, Midnight pm Sydney time.

This game is set to 3 ball as default and that is what we'll play for this competition.

No continues are allowed when submitting a score and must be played from the beginning of the game.

Game on... who will survive make the most of their time separated from others?

Scores

[gs]1c5iG6weGGmzLfJ9bxjDB-fG42oO3fw_k2jhoAiRrpQg[/gs]

Edited by JustAnotherRat

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an annoying pinball game! You hit a bunch of stuff and your score is crap low. I haven't gotten to 25,000,00 to get a free game yet but I keep hitting things, going up ramps, etc. and the score is so damn low. I think my high is around 12,000,000.

What an annoying pinball game! You hit a bunch of stuff and your score is crap low. I haven't gotten to 25,000,00 to get a free game yet but I keep hitting things, going up ramps, etc. and the score is so damn low. I think my high is around 12,000,000.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat with this one........and it's that one sitting on the sand down by the lagoon with two bloody great holes in its side!

Haha annoying. Try pro football from vpgl13

• Like 3

trust MrB to nominate something obscure ! i didn't even know this table existed.

but it's possibly because of the sweet memory of Ginger from Gilligan's Island...

tina_louise_photo_2.jpg.623eeff891aa57401b3de1fc576f32f7.jpg

I'll have a game at some stage later and see if I can give you a strategy.... it's something like collect all the stuff, hit the ramp and collect a jackpot.

You've just laid out the strategy for most DMD games :lol

• Like 1

trust MrB to nominate something obscure ! i didn't even know this table existed.

but it's possibly because of the sweet memory of Ginger from Gilligan's Island...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\ttina_louise_photo_2.jpg Views:\t0 Size:\t46.3 KB ID:\t2121865","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"2121865","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

You've just laid out the strategy for most DMD games :lol

I first played this at Pinfest a couple of years ago with my wife and quite enjoyed it. The VPX version is really nice, but the rules lack any depth. Still..... it's a bit of fun.

Great game suggestion. Never played it before this tournament, but like it. Fun game.

Looked up strategy/rules and played it a few times now. The scoring is pretty low unless you collect the jackpots.

To reach Jackpots (5 green lights just above the flippers), you need to collect the 7 Ingredients in the Lava Seltzer Secret Formula (shown in the middle of the playfield and lit solid when collected).

Three of the nine ingredients require three shots/hits to collect. The other four require just one shot/hit. The "three hit" items are marked with a large 3 next to the ingredients light.

Three hit Ingredients:

• Pineapple - Hit each of the three targets in the bank on the left.
  • Turtle Shells - Three shots up the left orbit.
  • Coconuts - Hit each of the three targets in the bank on the right.

The other four ingredients are:

• Crazy Head - Stand up target above the left inlane.
  • Banana - yellow target on the left post of the left ramp.
  • Shell - Up the center ramp and into the opening to the left.
  • Rope - Right orbit.

Once all 7 ingredients are lit/collected, they all flash to show that you have qualified for the Kona Jackpot mode. To start it, shoot into the red arrow scoop just above the Coconut targets.

Once Kona Jackpot mode is started, the Kona Ramp comes down and you have a time (45 seconds) to shoot this middle ramp 6 times. The first 5 score a jackpot of 1m, then 2m, 3m, 4m and 5m (as shown in the 5 green jackpot lights above the flippers). I believe the 6th hit scores the 50m Treasure Chest Jackpot, but there may be another hit required before unlocking this (need to confirm).

All the Ingredients collected persist from ball to ball, even once all 7 are collected. So, you can continue your progress toward the Kona Jackpot mode. The Kona Jackpot mode persists even once started. BUT, after you've made the center ramp Kona shot and collected your first 1m Jackpot, the Kona Jackpot mode will only last for the remainder of that ball. Once you drain, you start all over with no Ingredients collected.

Other goodies:

The Top Saucer in the upper right corner gives some very nice rewards. It can provide an Ingredient to help you toward Kona Jackpot mode. It can also start Jungle Run which can offer a lot of points if you can quickly hit consecutive center Kona ramp shots.

There are some other fun things such as Lagoon, but I don't know all the rules for those.

It's got fairly simple rules but a fun strategy. It's fast speed makes it a challenge, but it's small ruleset makes it approachable. It's kind of an all-or-nothing game--the jackpots are required to score big. Experts may find it too easy, but it's been fun for a bum player like me :).

Cheers.

Hope this helps. Feel free to correct any misunderstandings of the rules/strategy or add to them.

Edited by Goofything
  • Like 6

1472906207_IMG_20200405_154825(Small).jpg.a64652a52fbcfa4f19f4b0bb88ea6fe6.jpg

First game I played I scored 30million and didn't take a photo as I figured I'd beat that... about a dozen games later and I hadn't. I then played this game, which I hit the 50million shot 3 times so I am sure there is more in it but needed a break.

I find it plays really well and is fun, but still I was getting frustrated.

• Like 1

This game is the most one hit wonder I've ever played.

To collect the turtles, rope, banana's, shrunken head and coconuts (did I leave anything out?) the safest way to do it all is to hit it through the tunnel thing which goes up to the saucer thing. You can collect everything you need doing that, then hit the shot to start the Kona thing. Once started go back to hitting the exact same shot that you were to collect everything however now it goes up the ramp. Keep hitting that same shot for all jackpots and then do it all again.

I don't feel I've really dialed in that shot yet, but whoever does will be able to get a huge score.

• Like 1