Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks cool !

Comment

An exciting day for me today. The decals have turned up. I haven't had a chance to trim them up to see how they'll look fitted but they are looking great. I just need to allocate some time to sand and paint and sand again to get a smoother finish on the cab.

Thanks to the decal supplier who wishes to remain unknown and also to the person that shipped it to me. I'll need to buy you a drink or three at some stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammasized View Post
        Looks cool !
        With the added decals it will look even better goodluck

Comment

Looks great, awesome idea, I have one of those MS joysticks in the garage somewhere (as in the inscrutables link), might be worth a go, though bigger to fit my 10" tablet.
          Pins: Judge Dredd, Dr Who, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Star Wars DE
          Arcade: New Astro City 31k, OK Baby 15k, 20" LCD Vertical upright and 25" Shi Jia Yi 15k

Comment

So today was a day of sanding, painting, sanding, painting etc. and eventually I got to add the decals and the translite.

I have tried to show photos from each angle so you can see what it looks like. Where the coin door would sit, as the decal would have been blank, I had the Nexus Pinball logo added and I also put a logo on the back of the back glass. The back glass is actual translite so if I get around to putting lights in, it will look awesome. I have some small sets of battery operated Christmas LED lights for the purpose, just haven't done anything with them as yet. I have a blue set and a white set that I thought about hacking together so that there are some white lights behind the translite and blue ones lighting up underneath the pinball.

I did make a bit of a mistake trying to trim the decals once fitted so I need to smooth the edges somehow but I am super excited about how it looks.

A massive thank you once again goes out to the person who got the decals printed for me, and the other person involved in sending them to me. I'll need to buy you both a few drinks sometime... maybe at Pinfest???

The difference between the photo above, and the photo below is basically just one has the Nexus in upside down and the other has it the right way. I am still undecided as to how I am going to deal with this so suggestions would be greatly appreciated. On the one hand, there is a gap at the bottom with the USB connected and needs to be hidden by a lock down bar of sorts but I can't for the life of me think of a way of making one. The other shows the Nexus with a gap behind it which needs to somehow be covered... once again I am not sure of how to do it. Essentially the cabinet should have been slightly shorted, but it isn't so I need to find a way to overcome it.

The next two images are showing how I have it wired up and the keyboard circuit board that I have used to control the flippers. I said in an earlier post that I was going to advise on the keyboard hack, but I hadn't. That circuit board is all that I needed out of the keyboard, then I worked out what wires needed to go where and soldered them in. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I needed a switch to go between Pinball Arcade buttons and Zen Pinball buttons so you can see it wired in under the right flipper button.

Comment

Wow ... dunno how I missed this thread before now... inspiring !!

I didn't even know about "The Pinball Arcade" app either, so thank you..

I have a dilemma though ... I have a Nexus 7 (which I love), a Galaxy Note 8 and a Sony S Tablet ("snap" Rat!!) and I'm not sure which one to "sacrifice" for my own project. Any Suggestions ?

Sony S Tablet could be difficult because of the angled design and the placement of the propriety power connector on the long axis of the tablet ...

Damn .. I already have too many projects, but I really love the idea of this ...

Comment

Originally posted by jedimamer View Post
                I have a dilemma though ... I have a Nexus 7 (which I love), a Galaxy Note 8 and a Sony S Tablet ("snap" Rat!!) and I'm not sure which one to "sacrifice" for my own project. Any Suggestions ?

Sony S Tablet could be difficult because of the angled design and the placement of the propriety power connector on the long axis of the tablet ...
                My decision was based on the fact that my Nexus 7 wasn't being used for anything else as it was painfully slow to move between apps so maybe test the app on the devices and see which one plays the pinball games well but is of the least use for something else.

I have discovered that the Nexus 7 does not have the ability to use a OTG cable for keyboard use as well as charging. Maybe one of the others can do it? I had planned on having an outlet on the back connected by a USB charger that I could have connected to a USB hub so that I could charge the tablet and speaker while playing. Apparently this is a device limitation not an OTG cable limitation, I even tried an OTG cable that was split (from factory) for this purpose.

The other this to take into account is whether you want your pinball to be proportionally correct. I did, however as I had someone else make the cabinet for me (a relative who is a qualified cabinet maker) he made some changes to the design when he made it. An example of what he changes was the back board, I designed the hinges to go on the inside of the side pieces so as to not interfere with the artwork and aspect ratio would be correct but he made it so that when the back glass is folded down it is a neater size. With the final product not being a proper scaled down size, the decal size wasn't perfect. With that all taken into account, I am really happy with what I have, the only problem is how to handle the lock down bar, but that was an issue if it was to scale anyway (if it wasn't to scale in that area it wouldn't need one).

I guess I haven't answered your question at all, but maybe I have given you something to think about.

Comment

It's turned out really nice JAR ! You are a proud father of a baby vpin

Comment

Would a 90 degree direct down USB connection help with your positioning?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
                    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

Comment

Oh yeah....and it's looking awesome 😁

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
                      Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherRat View Post
                        My decision was based on the fact that my Nexus 7 wasn't being used for anything else as it was painfully slow to move between apps so maybe test the app on the devices and see which one plays the pinball games well but is of the least use for something else.

I have discovered that the Nexus 7 does not have the ability to use a OTG cable for keyboard use as well as charging. Maybe one of the others can do it? I had planned on having an outlet on the back connected by a USB charger that I could have connected to a USB hub so that I could charge the tablet and speaker while playing. Apparently this is a device limitation not an OTG cable limitation, I even tried an OTG cable that was split (from factory) for this purpose.

I guess I haven't answered your question at all, but maybe I have given you something to think about.
                        Not at all ... that is fantastic info .. thanks so much !!

Nexus has developed a bit of screen yellowing which may be a little off-putting ... race may be down to a choice between the Samsung and Sony now ...

Sony actually shipped with a Pinball game pre-installed .... such a shame that sony ditched the original intention of allowing the S Tablet to play playstation 1 games natively ... At least I have Crash Bandicoot and the Pinball game to remind me of the "things that could have been"...

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                          Would a 90 degree direct down USB connection help with your positioning?
                          No, not really. I just need to come up with a way to cover the gap I think.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                          Working...
                          X