The Garage Pinball project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Garage Pinball project.

Back in mid 2019 I built up a Mame arcade cabinet and thought then that I'd like to try building a virtual pinball machine.
    I'm not sure I knew how much work I was putting myself in for!
    (if I had known how many hours I'd end up putting in to it I reckon I'd never have started)
    Playfield is a Kogan 4K 43" TV
    Backglass is a Samsung 27" Monitor.
    DMD, encoder, plunger and bits from Ozstick - thanks Chris!
    Other bits from all over the place!
    It's up and running, but nowhere near finished.
    I still have to configure PinballX to load VPX tables, get the nudge working and a heap of other little bits and pieces. But it's been great fun!

Nice I like how you made the internals part of the feature with the windows.
    Did you build from a plan or measured the playfield monitor first and scaled accordingly?

Comment

Thanks, I started with the Williams widebody plans and after much deliberation decided to narrow the cabinet slightly to match the playfield tv. This brought about the usual problem of the lockdown bar. Luckily I have a good friend who runs a stainless steel business, and he managed to fashion one up for me. It's not perfect, as it doesn't fold down towards the glass but it's comfortable to use.
      A few comments on it - the subwoofer is purely for w@nk factor! I was ordering the other speakers and they just happened to have it on a closeout special - $23, reduced from $199 - it was going in the cabinet!!
      The Backglass speaker surrounds are electroluminescent tape. First time I've used this and it looks great, but there is a bit of high pitched whine from the inverter that runs it.
      I'm an absolute novice at this virtual pinball thing (my go to games were Moon Patrol & Galaga) but it's a fun learning curve!

Comment

Originally posted by ianstew View Post
        I'm an absolute novice at this virtual pinball thing (my go to games were Moon Patrol & Galaga) but it's a fun learning curve!
        You've basically just described me!! I've wanted to build of VP for almost 2 years since joining here. I've gotten as far as getting a SFF desktop PC for free, and that's it!
        I guess buying a playfield TV/monitor is the next decision as it seems everything else kind of flows around that.

Comment

Originally posted by djgra79 View Post
          You've basically just described me!! I've wanted to build of VP for almost 2 years since joining here. I've gotten as far as getting a SFF desktop PC for free, and that's it!
          I guess buying a playfield TV/monitor is the next decision as it seems everything else kind of flows around that.
          Wondered this my self. With 32-50 inch led tv range getting down to even freebies its a good time for projects
          you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

If I was going to do it all again I would go with a modern two screen design. With access to everything from underneath.

Comment

Originally posted by redferatu View Post
              If I was going to do it all again I would go with a modern two screen design. With access to everything from underneath.
              I've designed it so that the playfield can be removed by tilting up, then lifting and sliding out of the brackets. Not super easy, but quite possible.

Comment

Yeah, I did too. It's more about light, access, visibility, routing etc. Then sometimes you want to play with something without lifting the top, or you want it on for trouble shooting.

Anyway, like I said, if/when I do it again I'll make the bottom accessible with no moving TVs to access things. Mount the PC and other things up side down.

Comment

Originally posted by redferatu View Post
                  Yeah, I did too. It's more about light, access, visibility, routing etc. Then sometimes you want to play with something without lifting the top, or you want it on for trouble shooting.

Anyway, like I said, if/when I do it again I'll make the bottom accessible with no moving TVs to access things. Mount the PC and other things up side down.
                  just mount everything to the floor as per but have the floor hinged at the back with some latches or locks at the front

Comment

I get what you saying but then you need slack on input cables. Like I said next time I mount everything underneath. Neat, tidy, nothing breaking or coming loose. No lifting or temporary tweaking. Just lay it on it's side for big work, go underneath for small things.

Comment

Originally posted by narf_ View Post

Wondered this my self. With 32-50 inch led tv range getting down to even freebies its a good time for projects
                      I know the purists will say it matters (*input lag, refresh rates etc) but could any old LCD tv work for the playfield? As you say with plenty of screens on the market going cheap, is it worth spending the time researching the models numbers and finding ones that have minimum spces?
                      If so, what would these specs be?

Comment

Originally posted by djgra79 View Post

I know the purists will say it matters (*input lag, refresh rates etc) but could any old LCD tv work for the playfield? As you say with plenty of screens on the market going cheap, is it worth spending the time researching the models numbers and finding ones that have minimum spces?
                        If so, what would these specs be?
                        Give it a bash and see how it performs, especially if it's a freebie. If it works out and you're happy with the way that screen performs then great, stick with it. If not, then you can look into getting a newer/"better" screen for your playfield. At the end of the day it's YOUR machine, so who cares what they purists say!
                        www.ozstick.com.au

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                        Working...
                        X