No announcement yet.

DJ's VP cab build

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pin2DMD uses a USB connection only, it doesn't need a display port. It makes a huge difference to your vpin too, they are mega-bright LED's !

Comment

Originally posted by OzStick View Post
      Don't run all screens at 1080 - IMO it is a waste of resources! The playfield will be your main point of focus and although there are some really nice hi-res backglasses out there, you won't be paying much attention to them most of the time so why spend precious video card resources on something that you won't notice?.
      I ran with this belief for ages but I found the Stranger Things tables backglass didn't quite fit on the screen but at 1080 it does.

A little side track.... The Harry Potter table that is yet to be completed seems to be more resource hungry than most and I've had to lower my settings to run it (I'm only using a GTX750ti graphics card) and I am getting bad stutter in multiball. I have heard that the version after the one I tested runs smoother though so I'll have to give that a try. I believe my lower spec'd system is coming near the end of what it can keep up with.

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherRat View Post
        I ran with this belief for ages but I found the Stranger Things tables backglass didn't quite fit on the screen but at 1080 it does.
        Is it worth it for just one backglass?

Comment

Originally posted by Jed View Post
          Is it worth it for just one backglass?
          Not sure, but it might be the case for other tables as well like the Harry Potter one when it's released.

It'd take some tinkering time to work out which I don't have

Comment

Well due to insufficient funds it could be a few weeks/months before I have spare money for the GTX1050ti low profile.
            In the meantime, this place looks to be (currently) cheapest online, but which version is the one to go for? Or does anyone have leads on cheaper for brand new?
            Search Results | Computer Alliance

Comment

Originally posted by djgra79 View Post
              Well due to insufficient funds it could be a few weeks/months before I have spare money for the GTX1050ti low profile.
              In the meantime, this place looks to be (currently) cheapest online, but which version is the one to go for? Or does anyone have leads on cheaper for brand new?
              Search Results | Computer Alliance
              Nope - that price for a 4Gb GTX1050ti is the best I've seen for quite a while!
              www.ozstick.com.au

Comment

hey djgra79

FYI - I purchased a GTX1050ti low profile a couple of weeks ago and dropped it in a similar spec machine to start a vPin cab build myself. I've been on holidays since getting vpX and a couple of tables running, so haven't been able to extensively test it out. But I'll let you know how it goes if you like

Comment

Originally posted by Jed View Post
                  If using a regular cabinet then a 37" will drop straight in (no routering of the side walls required) 40" will fit in a standard cabinet if you router out the sides of the cab and de-bezel (which you should do anyway). 40" will drop easily into a widebody. can use up to 46" with routered sides, in a widebody.

Existing empty cabinets can be had for not much $$ and are already ply (best for audio-based feedback using exciters) if doing so get a widebody if you can, ie: (wiki dump) it will let you use up to 46"
                  I'm thinking of 40-44" for the main playing field. I think I'll get the TV first so I can build the cab around it (still undecided if building custom cab or using the widebody plans)
                  My question is around TVs. Is there any specific minimum specs to look for? Prices vary greatly when looking on JB/Good Guys websites at these size ranges, and some brands I've never heard of before. I take it paying more money for a well known branded TV is worth it, or are they all made to same specs at the end of the day?

Comment

Originally posted by djgra79 View Post
                    I'm thinking of 40-44" for the main playing field. I think I'll get the TV first so I can build the cab around it (still undecided if building custom cab or using the widebody plans)
                    My question is around TVs. Is there any specific minimum specs to look for? Prices vary greatly when looking on JB/Good Guys websites at these size ranges, and some brands I've never heard of before. I take it paying more money for a well known branded TV is worth it, or are they all made to same specs at the end of the day?
                    Take a look at monitors, rather than TVs. There's a train of thought that monitors are purpose built for video output form a PC so they will do a better job with less lag etc, compared to a TV which has features you don't need as well as image processing which can supposedly induce lag.

If you go with a 43" monitor then you can still use widebody plans (makes it much easier to find a suitable lockdown bar, rather than having one fabricated) knowing there will be plenty of room for the monitor to fit. Pretty sure you'll find at least one model each from LG, Philips, Asus amongst others.
                    www.ozstick.com.au

Comment

Well with impending lockdown I suspect just days away (thanks COVID-19...) I am looking to turn my attention to picking up this project once again.
                      It seems i've left my run too late and the GTX 1050ti low profile card is now discontinued, however there are a couple 2nd hand kicking around, I assume this shouldn't be an issue?
                      Or is there a better equivelent card now? As per my previous post with PC pics, I assume only a low profile card will fit in this machine, even with the lid off?

Comment

The GTX1650 can be had as a Low Profile card. It is supposed to be a direct replacement for the GTX1050 but I found it to be quite a step up - tables that the 1050 struggled with ran perfectly well with the 1650 using the same setting in VPX but with the playfield resolution bumped up to 2K!!!

Don't bother with a full height video card as you're almost guaranteed to need to cut the frame of the case so it doesn't foul on any of the ports and this will ruin the rigidity of the case. I recall a customer sending me a PC to fix up for him and he'd hacked the frame to fit a full height card, only to discover that this had caused the motherboard to crack........😲

Drop me a line if you need any help.
                        www.ozstick.com.au

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                        Working...
                        X