Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DJ's VP cab build

Collapse

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    DJ's VP cab build

    Hi all. I have decide to build a VP table from scratch
    Been poking around this site, VPForums, VP facebook page and You Tube videos to try and work out what the heck is involved! So I thought I'd create this thread so I can contain all the info in one place, and may serve as future reference material for others.

    This will not be a quick build, as finances are tight at best, but I hope to be able to find some bargains along the way and slowly build up the gear required. If I can get 2nd hand I will but I also like things that are shiny and new so lets see how that pans out!

    Plan is to build the cabinet from scratch, I believe ply will be better for strength and also feedback systems? If so, what thickness seems best? Unless of course anyone can convince me the benefits of using an existing old pinball cabinet? I'm thinking 40" TV for playfield, but not sure that would fit in a normal pinball machine?

    My PC looks like will be this: HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Small Form Factor (SFF) PC Specifications | HP® Customer Support with i7-4470 3.4GHz CPU, 8GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, but I'll replace HDD with 500GB SSD. For graphics I'm looking at the GTX1050ti: Gigabyte GTX1050Ti 4GB OC Low Profile PCIe Video Card PN GV-N105TOC-4GL | Computer Alliance
    Does this sound decent enough for VPX on 2 screens at 1080? (not interested in 4k)

    I'm battling with size of playfield and cabinet at the moment. I think the lockdown bar will help decide this?
    Thanks in advance for those who decide to come along for the ride and offer help, feedback and links to make this dream a reality!

    #2
    So I had a question regarding 4k playfield TV/monitors. Is it worth it? I assume more pixels = better definition but does that mean the tables themselves need to be in 4k and if so, are there many titles currently or a move towards this spec moving forward?
    Will the GTX1050ti card handle a 4k playfield OK?

    Comment


      #3
      I would recommend going for a GTX1060 or higher. I've had to replace the graphics card in my VP cab 2 times over the last few years to cope with the better quality tables and newer VP versions. The first cards I had in there I saved money by getting an entry/mid level card, but because of that had to replace them sooner than if I had just bought a higher end card to start with. I recently added the 1060 6GB and it seems pretty good with everything. It is only about $100 more than the 1050ti you are looking at.

      I don't have 4k but those who I've spoken to say it does make a big difference. For 4k you'd want as high end a card as you can get to cope with all the new fancy 3d tables coming out.

      Comment


        #4
        Noted the 1050 may not cut it for 4k. But am interested to hear from those who have seen the difference of 4k for themselves and feedback if it is worth the extra $ investment to run it.

        Comment


          #5
          If using a regular cabinet then a 37" will drop straight in (no routering of the side walls required) 40" will fit in a standard cabinet if you router out the sides of the cab and de-bezel (which you should do anyway). 40" will drop easily into a widebody. can use up to 46" with routered sides, in a widebody.

          Existing empty cabinets can be had for not much $$ and are already ply (best for audio-based feedback using exciters) if doing so get a widebody if you can, ie: (wiki dump) it will let you use up to 46"



          It will give you a shortcut and the real cabinet and artwork helps. and much easier to source real parts for it. If i was building again i would use a 46" instead of a 40" for the playfield to fill out the cabinet better, having the useable display go as close to your rails as possible should be the goal with not much dead space around it.

          if you want to build your own from scratch then Williams widebody plans are available here, taken from a TZ: Plans: Williams Widebody Cabinet Plans - Cabinet Building Resources - Virtual Pinball Universe

          Comment


            #6
            Thanks [MENTION=5050]Jed[/MENTION] for the info. Whilst it would be quicker to get an empty cab (plus a quick search on AA and ebay yielded no results currently, unless I'm using the wrong terms) I am not sure how I would get it home. At least with building from scratch, then I can get the timber home myself plus have the satisfaction of knowing I built it (and only myself to blame if it breaks!) So I will probably use those plans for my build, thanks for the link.
            Does anyone know what thickness of ply is used as it's not state don the plans?

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by djgra79 View Post
              Thanks @Jed for the info. Whilst it would be quicker to get an empty cab (plus a quick search on AA and ebay yielded no results currently, unless I'm using the wrong terms) I am not sure how I would get it home. At least with building from scratch, then I can get the timber home myself plus have the satisfaction of knowing I built it (and only myself to blame if it breaks!) So I will probably use those plans for my build, thanks for the link.
              Does anyone know what thickness of ply is used as it's not state don the plans?
              I couldn't find any online either, so I fronted up to a local Pinball seller where I used to live, he had 3x empty widebody cabs 2xPopeye 1xJudge Dredd I took the JD it was in excellent condition beautiful artwork, being a biker and a fan of Science Fiction the theme really resonated with me, awesome art on the JD one of my faves of any Pinball. Got him to fit it out with Rails, lockdown bar, coin door, glass, etc.

              but yeah making yourself from scratch also good, and it will be a lot easier to fit a screen too, and you get that made-it-yourself satisfaction. If you do go down that route, post your build thread here

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Jed View Post
                If using a regular cabinet then a 37" will drop straight in (no routering of the side walls required) 40" will fit in a standard cabinet if you router out the sides of the cab and de-bezel (which you should do anyway)........
                I would caution against advising people to de-case, some newer TVs and monitors have no metal frame around the panel - they rely on the case to hold everything together!!!

                - - - Updated - - -

                Originally posted by djgra79 View Post
                Hi all. I have decide to build a VP table from scratch
                Been poking around this site, VPForums, VP facebook page and You Tube videos to try and work out what the heck is involved! So I thought I'd create this thread so I can contain all the info in one place, and may serve as future reference material for others.

                This will not be a quick build, as finances are tight at best, but I hope to be able to find some bargains along the way and slowly build up the gear required. If I can get 2nd hand I will but I also like things that are shiny and new so lets see how that pans out!

                Plan is to build the cabinet from scratch, I believe ply will be better for strength and also feedback systems? If so, what thickness seems best? Unless of course anyone can convince me the benefits of using an existing old pinball cabinet? I'm thinking 40" TV for playfield, but not sure that would fit in a normal pinball machine?

                My PC looks like will be this: HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Small Form Factor (SFF) PC Specifications | HP® Customer Support with i7-4470 3.4GHz CPU, 8GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, but I'll replace HDD with 500GB SSD. For graphics I'm looking at the GTX1050ti: Gigabyte GTX1050Ti 4GB OC Low Profile PCIe Video Card PN GV-N105TOC-4GL | Computer Alliance
                Does this sound decent enough for VPX on 2 screens at 1080? (not interested in 4k)

                I'm battling with size of playfield and cabinet at the moment. I think the lockdown bar will help decide this?
                Thanks in advance for those who decide to come along for the ride and offer help, feedback and links to make this dream a reality!
                If you're looking to recycle an old PC (which IMO is a good way to go) then that dictates that the most powerful video card you can use is a Low Profile Nvidia GTX1050ti. Unless of course you cut the frame of the PC case so a full height card will fit, which is NOT a wise thing to do.

                If you are only looking to run 1080 (or maybe 2k) for your Playfield then that's good, as the GTX1050ti will not handle 4K at all well.

                The spec of the PC you linked to is a bit overkill for what you're proposing, so unless you're getting one nice and cheap it may be worth checking out something like this:
                HP Elitedesk 8300 Core i5-3470 3.2GHz - 8GB Ram 500GB HDD W10P | eBay

                Chuck in a GTX1050ti and an SSD and you're good to go with 1080.

                Cabinet size has become a more difficult think of late - as [MENTION=5050]Jed[/MENTION] has already suggested a 39" or 40" can fit into a standard width cab and a 46" is great for a widebody, however those monitor sizes are far less common these days as 43" seems to have taken over for some reason. This means you either go widebody into which a 43" will fit with plenty of room to spare. or you go custom.

                If you go with a custom cab you can build it to a width that will specifically fit the monitor/TV you plan to use (WITHOUT de-casing it) so looks right, however you then need to fabricate a custom lockdown bar. This isn't an issue if authenticity doesn't bother you, as you can make one out of timber that will do the job perfectly well, but it's just not the same as having the feel of stainless steel while you are playing......

                Whichever way you decide to go, make sure you take your time to research all options.

                Cheers, Chris
                www.ozstick.com.au

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by OzStick View Post
                  The spec of the PC you linked to is a bit overkill for what you're proposing, so unless you're getting one nice and cheap it may be worth checking out something like this:
                  HP Elitedesk 8300 Core i5-3470 3.2GHz - 8GB Ram 500GB HDD W10P | eBay

                  Chuck in a GTX1050ti and an SSD and you're good to go with 1080.
                  If by nice and cheap you mean free then yes I have a friend who's office recently did an upgrade to their PCs so they were literally throwing them out. So yeah, plan is to pick that up this weekend and then pop the GPU in it and an SSD and I'm good to go (just need EVERYTHING else now!)

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Ah, gotta love a freebie. Is your friend's office throwing out any more? I'd be up for catching a few of those.....
                    www.ozstick.com.au

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Sadly not anymore. It was towards end of last year and I already grabbed one for our kids computer desk. But I asked if there was any left for this project. Lucky last!!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by OzStick View Post
                        I would caution against advising people to de-case, some newer TVs and monitors have no metal frame around the panel - they rely on the case to hold everything together!!!
                        Are these the cheaper brand (Chinese) TV's you're referring to ? Pretty much every tv I've used in either Playfield or head unit has been a Sony or a Samsung of varying ages and all were framed. Just another reason NOT to buy those cheap crappy Chinese panels, even though the price is probably the only attractive thing about them!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Brought back the PC from Sydney all wrapped up in towels in my checked luggage and it appears to have survived!
                          Specs:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	PC spec 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	1848832

                          Motherboard:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	PC board.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	1848833

                          Rear of case:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	PC back.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	1848834

                          So do you think that adding the GTX1050ti low profile and an SSD to this case will comfortably run dual screen and DMD in 1080?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by djgra79 View Post
                            So do you think that adding the GTX1050ti low profile and an SSD to this case will comfortably run dual screen and DMD in 1080?
                            Don't run all screens at 1080 - IMO it is a waste of resources! The playfield will be your main point of focus and although there are some really nice hi-res backglasses out there, you won't be paying much attention to them most of the time so why spend precious video card resources on something that you won't notice? Same goes for the DMD - a real DMD is only 128x32 pixels so you don't need to run a DMD monitor at a very high resolution.

                            My suggestion is to run your Playfield at 1920x1080, but set your Backglass to 1366x768 (or thereabouts) and your DMD to 640x480 and you should find that to be perfectly acceptable running VPX with a GTX1050ti.
                            www.ozstick.com.au

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by OzStick View Post
                              Don't run all screens at 1080 - IMO it is a waste of resources! The playfield will be your main point of focus and although there are some really nice hi-res backglasses out there, you won't be paying much attention to them most of the time so why spend precious video card resources on something that you won't notice? Same goes for the DMD - a real DMD is only 128x32 pixels so you don't need to run a DMD monitor at a very high resolution.

                              My suggestion is to run your Playfield at 1920x1080, but set your Backglass to 1366x768 (or thereabouts) and your DMD to 640x480 and you should find that to be perfectly acceptable running VPX with a GTX1050ti.
                              I will probably end up getting a PIN2DMD from you at some stage, but I can't quite tell how that connects to PC. Does it need a video output or only USB connection?
                              The motherboard only has display port output (no hdmi) will that be a problem?

                              Comment

                              Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X