Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tidy up of some great VPX Playfields

Collapse

Discussion on building Virtual Pinballs.

X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tidy up of some great VPX Playfields

Hi Forum users,
    Is anyone interested in giving a fathom VPX table mod a try and giving me some feedback what you like and what you don’t like and why. There are so many platforms for virtual pinball so it would be nice to know how this mod translates on different tables. I’ll include a link to the modded games in a following post.
    Im Also wondering if anyone on this forum tinkers with VPX playfields or designs their own VPX tables that I could exchange ideas with. Im new to Virtual Pinball (10 months since I built my Machine) and Ive had built my own original table that was beta tested by Chris Wigg from Ozstick Arcade, so I have a basic knowledge of how these tables are constructed.
    There are some incredible pinball reproductions available and some great games with quirks that can easily be overlooked and fixed. After playing in the latest Aussie Arcade VP league I played a Scorpion reproduction that just didn't feel like a real table, some graphics were low res and the drains and ball turns were ridiculous. I tweaked the lighting, graphics and physics to play and look more realistic. Its now a fun VPX reproduction to play and I learnt from that experience lighting and Lettering has huge effect on the tables appearance. I also adjusted the Table physics using JP Salas's recommendations and then tweaked from there to ensure the table plays realistically without ridiculous drains. Any feedback is much appreciated
    cheers
    RusstyT

This is lighting and lettering modded table
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Fathom Playfield Adjusted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	338.6 KB ID:	2181137

This is the original table
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Fathom Playfield Original.jpg Views:	0 Size:	330.2 KB ID:	2181138
    Last edited by RusstyT; 9 December 2020, 06:56 PM.

This is the link to the modded game including backglass and ROM.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...32?usp=sharing

Comment

Id like to add that participating in the Aussie Arcade virtual pinball league gave me an opportunity to learn how to be a better player and develop my table fixing skills. It’s a well run comp. and a welcoming community. There is a strong emphasis on having fun. There is mix of talented and new players that are very encouraging to share tips and friendly banter. If you want to improve your game or be part of a fun comp have a go.

Comment

I tried your mod RusstyT, looks good. There's a number if tables with blurred images that could be cleaned up but I must admit I don't notice the imperfections too much until someone points them out. I hope you keep learning mate, there are a number of extremely talented people out there making tables look even better and better. Some just "pop" when you first load them. Ones that spring to mind are The Flinstones and TOTAN.

Comment

Just a bump for this thread really... I like what you're doing but haven't had time to play anything for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by legin View Post
            I tried your mod RusstyT, looks good. There's a number if tables with blurred images that could be cleaned up but I must admit I don't notice the imperfections too much until someone points them out. I hope you keep learning mate, there are a number of extremely talented people out there making tables look even better and better. Some just "pop" when you first load them. Ones that spring to mind are The Flinstones and TOTAN.
            Cheers Legin. Much appreciated. Flinstones is unbelievabe. I’ll check out Totan. I see Bigus1 is from Brisbane and RusstyCardours who does a lot of SUrround sound feedback is from up that way as well. I’ve seen Wobs name testing tables and colour dmd’s. I think why I’m so passionate about adjusting tables is Ive been able to play to play games through with some tweaks and it was extremely difficult to do this before adjusting the tables. Being able to do this has helped me understand the table design and game play. I also find some tables just blind me with the flashes and over powered gi lighting. Golden eye 007 is a good example of this so I took the flashes off the table and toned down the lighting so I could learn the game. If lighting is bleeding or washing out the table it’s not right. I think a table should look illuminated just enough to see the graphics and let the lights show. The playfield lights are the stars that help you track the game and should be the standouts in my mind. Being able to adjust POVs via the flipper and Magna save buttons is also a cool feature of the VPX tables and worth while for any one who owns a cabinet. Adjusting POVs can affect how the ball drains and the 3D table look and I’m not sure how many people take advantage of this function. There are some good tutorials on line about how to do this. Anyway cheers for the reply when I learn a bit more I’ll start to contact table authors to ask permission to upload a mod. Just making sure what I do has value to the general pinball community. It is so much fun. All the best mate.
            PS there is a fantastic 4K led version of fathom that I found since I started this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by legin View Post
              Hey Legin,
              Tale of the Arbian Knights is a beautiful table. Thought Id share this LED 4K table version of Fathom that I found since posting this thread. This is one of the best looking games in my Cab and so unique in How it captures the underwater feel. This version is a mod by Vogliadicane on a 32Assassin version of the same table. He has done a great job. My tweaks are very minor not enough to call a proper mod. i adjusted the lighting to suit my table and moved the inlane posts to reduce the chance of drains through these lanes. It's quite a challenging game bit no where near the difficulty of the Paragon table we played in the VP16 league.
              This is the link to the table

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DfU...ew?usp=sharing

backglass and ROM are in a previous Post in this thread.

Comment

This is a screen shot of the Fathom 4K LED table by Vogliaddicane with the lighting toned down. Before turning the lighting down some of the playfield GI and game lights, the playfield lights suffered from light bleed and the overly bright LED lights distracted me from tracking game play. In the bottom in lanes you can see the little blue dots where the posts are moved. I find with the lighting adjusted I can track the ball better and follow the game play. This table is so unique in capturing the underwater feel where blue light is dominant. I noticed there is an identical table layout in the Taito table "Hawkman". Not sure how this happened.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fathom led screenshot.jpg Views:	0 Size:	307.7 KB ID:	2185318

Comment

Originally posted by RusstyT View Post
                  \ I noticed there is an identical table layout in the Taito table "Hawkman". Not sure how this happened.
                  Taito of Brazil copied a whole bunch of machines from the late 70s/early 80s.
                  Some had the same names and layout as the original, as in Space Shuttle, while others used the same layout and graphics with Portuguese names - Black Knight became Cavaleiro Negro.
                  Most used the same layout as the originals with different artwork, but there were some that were mashups of different games such as Gemini 2000, which was a cross between Flight 2000 and Centaur.

Comment

Originally posted by Crakkers View Post

Taito of Brazil copied a whole bunch of machines from the late 70s/early 80s.
                    Some had the same names and layout as the original, as in Space Shuttle, while others used the same layout and graphics with Portuguese names - Black Knight became Cavaleiro Negro.
                    Most used the same layout as the originals with different artwork, but there were some that were mashups of different games such as Gemini 2000, which was a cross between Flight 2000 and Centaur.
                    Cheers Crackers. Thanks for filling in the gap.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                    Working...
                    X