Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After 3 Years, Finally Finished!

Collapse

Discussion on building Virtual Pinballs.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 3 Years, Finally Finished!

Click image for larger version

Name:	76B74DFC-107D-4872-9DED-3F670A96548B.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	347.9 KB
ID:	2163098 Click image for larger version

Name:	BE847EF7-0386-49DC-9C6F-0B6D501831B0.jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	2163099 Click image for larger version

Name:	F4CA88DF-B2F6-40BA-9035-3892620F8901.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	2163100 Click image for larger version

Name:	3D707878-C2DB-43E0-AEC5-5C534D008690.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	2163101 3 year’s ago I first ordered some VP parts from Chris @ Ozstick. Most of them ended up going into my mate’s cab. He had all the wood working tools you see and I ended up giving him the computer parts as a 40th birthday present. He did the cabinet construction and I did all the software setting up. We finished his cab off to a state he was happy with and then my cab build stayed on pause until the Covid lockdown. Chris has been an invaluable knowledge source along the way (thanks heaps mate) and the other AA member I really wanted to thank is Stuzza. Stuzza’s decals are bloody awesome. High quality and great design. I think his Attack From Mars design is better than the original. A quick bit of advice to those who are frightened off from doing their own decal work. Don’t be! It’s easy! If an unco mug like me who can’t even draw a straight line can do it so can you. Use the wet method, take your time and watch videos. Here’s what’s in it:

Williams widebody plans
    Black, faced plywood
    Enough builder’s bog to sink the Titanic
    Samsung 32” LCD for back box (second hand $60)
    Acrylic sheet for back box & black vinyl decal
    Pin2DMD display
    Intel i5 CPU (can’t remember the clock speed)
    ASUS motherboard
    16 gig DDR3 RAM
    Geforce 980 TI graphics (does both displays - you don’t need 2 graphics cards)
    250 gig Samsung EVO SSD
    650 watt PSU
    Pinscape board
    Chiq 43” 4K TV for playfield (bloody bargain @ $450 new)
    2x Lepy 838 amplifiers running 5 exciters for SSF
    Tempered glass for playfield & black vinyl decal
    Logitech PC speakers for back box. Currently no woofer - with all the exciters doesn’t really need one
    4x 120mm cooling fans with green LEDs
    4x genuine pinball legs & leg protectors
    2x genuine pinball side rails & lockdown bar
    4mm plastic channel strip for playfield glass
    Minimalist 6 button design - start, exit, coin, ball launch
    8 socket power board with surge protector
    Netgear USB WiFi adapter
    Pinballx front end software
    Think that’s about it...feel free to slag me off in the comments with things you would’ve done better/differently

& coming:
    two addressable RGB LED strips on both sides of playfield
    5 addressable RGB LEDs at back of playfield
    IR TX/RX soldered to Pinscape board to auto turn on playfield TV

Looks great, now get in there and enjoy playing the SHIT out of it!
    Dave
    Remember--The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Comment

Well done....youve inspired me!! ...wotave that means....LOL. Thanks for the update...especially the ChiQ!
      Pinball Meets...I love em

Comment

looks fantastic well done

Comment

[QUOTE=Yogo;n2163097][Geforce 980 TI graphics (does both displays - you don’t need 2 graphics cards)/QUOTE]

In fact, one card is recommended.

Thanks for the write up. Does the Chiq TV have power state memory so when turned off from power, it turns back on when the power is turned back on without needing to touch the TV?

Comment

Originally posted by furballx View Post
            Looks great, now get in there and enjoy playing the SHIT out of it!
            Dave
            Blood oath Dave! Looking forward to the next Virtual Pinball League!!

Comment

[QUOTE=JustAnotherRat;n2163334]
              Originally posted by Yogo View Post
              [Geforce 980 TI graphics (does both displays - you don’t need 2 graphics cards)/QUOTE]

In fact, one card is recommended.

Thanks for the write up. Does the Chiq TV have power state memory so when turned off from power, it turns back on when the power is turned back on without needing to touch the TV?
              When I first started researching cabs they were recommending two cards or onboard graphics plus another card. That was probably about four years ago. I guess the newer guides are probably all updated now.

With the Chiq 43” - unfortunately no JAR. It will not turn back on unless you use the remote. Remembers the input that I have it set to but alas does not behave like my Samsung back box monitor. Have purchased the parts I need to have the Pinscape board turn it on but at the moment I’m enjoying having the cab all closed up. Will get around to it

Comment

[QUOTE=Yogo;n2163342]
                Originally posted by JustAnotherRat View Post

When I first started researching cabs they were recommending two cards or onboard graphics plus another card. That was probably about four years ago. I guess the newer guides are probably all updated now.

With the Chiq 43” - unfortunately no JAR. It will not turn back on unless you use the remote. Remembers the input that I have it set to but alas does not behave like my Samsung back box monitor. Have purchased the parts I need to have the Pinscape board turn it on but at the moment I’m enjoying having the cab all closed up. Will get around to it
                I do know some people recommended 2 cards, but others disagreed. I had a couple of cards and tested them and found the performance not as good with two cards. I chatted with a few of the "big names" in VP and they agreed that 1 card is definitely better.

Bugger with the power state... I really want to go 4K with an affordable screen but if it doesn't turn on automagically with everything else is a show stopper for me.

Comment

[QUOTE=JustAnotherRat;n2163343]
                  Originally posted by Yogo View Post

I do know some people recommended 2 cards, but others disagreed. I had a couple of cards and tested them and found the performance not as good with two cards. I chatted with a few of the "big names" in VP and they agreed that 1 card is definitely better.

Bugger with the power state... I really want to go 4K with an affordable screen but if it doesn't turn on automagically with everything else is a show stopper for me.
                  Yeah I understand. Having to turn the playfield on with the remote is annoying and just doesn't "feel right"

Comment

Terrific job on your cab!! Love how the decals came out. One of my favourite designs. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by stuzza View Post
                      Terrific job on your cab!! Love how the decals came out. One of my favourite designs. Well done.
                      Great design mate, props to you Stuzza!

Comment

Looks cool. Chris guided me through parts of my build as well. It has blown me away how well these machines play and the quality of games available. Well done mate it’s a solid achievement to build your own machine.

Comment

Originally posted by RusstyT View Post
                          Looks cool. Chris guided me through parts of my build as well. It has blown me away how well these machines play and the quality of games available. Well done mate it’s a solid achievement to build your own machine.
                          Cheers mate. Yep, it’s a great thing to make something with your own hands. After playing a few real pinball machines lately I’m also blown away how close the virtual machines play to the real ones. So much time & effort by the creators

Comment

Hey mate exciting times to talk to another builder. I’m curious about your build process. Did you work out your plans or have plans to work from? I spent quite a bit of time working out equipment layout. Also I was unsure about latency issues playing 4K games which is why I went for a computer monitor rather than a TV screen. How does your machine go with the 4K games like The Flinstones or Scotty Wicks Harry Potter. I might have been worrying about something I didn’t need too. It’s interesting that Chris Wigg swares by the reliability of the Windows 7 platform to play any of the VPX games. I had Windows 10 home edition on the 2nd hand computer I bought. The automatic update function was a nightmare as I had to roll back some of the drivers that it kept wanting to overwrite. I ended up purchasing the windows 10 pro version so I could turn these functions off. Out of curiosity what operating platform are you working from and any thoughts. Also I’m finding so much variabity in game lighting. In some games the lights just bleed into the playfield. If I like the game like Scotty Wicks Leprechaun King I adjust the lighting to what I like. I’m currently playing Black Knight 2000 that Flupper put together. The lighting on my machine is perfect. Looks so real. I’m interested in how games look on your machine and if there are any standouts that I could look to compare.
                            Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by RusstyT View Post
                              Hey mate exciting times to talk to another builder. I’m curious about your build process. Did you work out your plans or have plans to work from? I spent quite a bit of time working out equipment layout. Also I was unsure about latency issues playing 4K games which is why I went for a computer monitor rather than a TV screen. How does your machine go with the 4K games like The Flinstones or Scotty Wicks Harry Potter. I might have been worrying about something I didn’t need too. It’s interesting that Chris Wigg swares by the reliability of the Windows 7 platform to play any of the VPX games. I had Windows 10 home edition on the 2nd hand computer I bought. The automatic update function was a nightmare as I had to roll back some of the drivers that it kept wanting to overwrite. I ended up purchasing the windows 10 pro version so I could turn these functions off. Out of curiosity what operating platform are you working from and any thoughts. Also I’m finding so much variabity in game lighting. In some games the lights just bleed into the playfield. If I like the game like Scotty Wicks Leprechaun King I adjust the lighting to what I like. I’m currently playing Black Knight 2000 that Flupper put together. The lighting on my machine is perfect. Looks so real.
                              I ended up actually building 2 cabs. The first one I gave to a friend who helped me with the carpentry work. It was originally a Windows 7 Pro machine but I ran into some stability problems. It had nothing to do with the OS just some bad parts but I ended up blowing it all away and going to Windows 10. It’s running nice and stable on a true hi def Samsung TV. The one I ended up keeping is running Windows 10 Home which in hindsight I wish I’d used Pro for the remote access features. I too ran into auto update problems but I fixed this by going to a single graphics card. The OS kept overwriting the graphics drivers and it was a bitch keeping both cards running together.

Very happy with performance of the pc I’m using and the stability of win 10 home. Had a problem with the 4K Tv’s latency until I figured out how to lock it into 60hz. Now can’t tell the difference between it and a pc monitor as far as lag goes. As to lighting, the only table that looks a little bit off is Medieval Madness when Merlin’s crystal ball lights up. Looks a bit fake. Haven’t had the time to fiddle with it though as all other tables are looking great. Haven’t tried any original tables on my rig yet, they’re all reproductions. Are you running SSF? I found SSF and a 4K display to be the biggest improvements to the cab overall.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X