Atari Space Riders Repair/Restoration.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks
    Am still watching this thread with interest.

Comment

After doing a little bit of poking around I think I've nailed down the issue with my score display.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20190528183906[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1848682

When I manipulate these contacts on the vacuum fluorescent display I get the missing segments coming to life along with the "Player" indicator lights that run down the right hand side of the score readouts. In this pic you can see that display is not correctly seated into the socket, but rectifying that didn't help matters. I removed the VFD and cleaned all of the contacts with contact cleaner and cotton-buds and still no improvement. But pushing on the individual pins brings the various missing segments to life. So still getting shitty connections there. At least I know what the issue is, the question is - How to fix.... I'm thinking a more serious cleaning followed by a slight 'tweak' of the pins....

Comment

Have you tried re-flowing the solder joints? You may have a bad joint if putting some pressure on it makes it work.
        Gemini2544's 4th Pinball meet Saturday 21/03/2020

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I gave it a go before I pulled the VFD out again. Didn't make any difference in this case. In the end, I took the screen out again, bent the pins down slightly and then very carefully put the screen back in and was very happy to see this -

Name:	IMG20190528210412[1].jpg
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	1848686

There is a bit of crud under the red plastic, I'd really like to clean it but the plastic is stuck on the VFD pretty well. I'm a bit scared to mess with this thing anymore. It looks very fragile. On the other hand, if I don't clean it, it will bug me forever....

So now all that is left to fix from a functionality point of view is two switches on the playfield that aren't registering and one coin switch that isn't working....

Comment

Quick update. I have a kit on the way from the US, which contains replacement globes, balls and rubbers. I still have that issue with the 3 switches that are not responding but at the moment I am considering the cosmetics.

Name:	IMG20190601152203[1].jpg
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	1848777Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20190601152215[1].jpg
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	1848778Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20190601152247[1].jpg
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	1848779

As you can see, the side rails, the legs and the lock bar are all heavily pitted with rust. I'm thinking that I'll just de-rust, etch prime and then paint. Probably with chrome paint. As for the cabinet, I'm still undecided. the easy route would be filling the chips and doing my best to colour match the paint, then touching up the areas that need attention along with a serious scrubbing of the whole cab. The hard option would be tracing the artwork, making stencils and attempting to redo the entire cab. What do you guys think?

Comment

Consider the silver hammer tone spray paint, looks really good & a cheap fix.
              Attached Files
              Gemini2544's 4th Pinball meet Saturday 21/03/2020

Comment

Doesn't Jeff [MENTION=893]Railways[/MENTION] do Atari rails?
                I have a new set here that came from somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by raysco View Post
                  Doesn't Jeff [MENTION=893]Railways[/MENTION] do Atari rails?
                  I have a new set here that came from somewhere
                  They did come from railways

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Comment

Yessiree we have done Atari. We originally did them for a Superman. There is a thread around somewhere recently with the rails fitted up to the fresh cab art.
                    http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/forum.../138-RAIL-WAYS

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini2544 View Post
                      Consider the silver hammer tone spray paint, looks really good & a cheap fix.

Yeah, that looks pretty good to me. I think I'm going to go that route. Except for the coin door. I'm gonna go with the black hammer-tone like I did with my Speed Race machine because it closely matches the colour that is on it already. As for the graphics on the cab, I'm leaning toward filling the chips with bog and then re-stenciling the the whole lot. It shouldn't be too hard to reproduce, it's just a yellow base with an orange and blue stencil on top. It's pretty easy to see to due to the soft edges on some of the graphics that this is how it was done back in 1978. I was thinking that I could lay down the yellow base, wait a week or 2 for it to cure properly, then use contact to cut the stencils, stick them on and respray graphics. I think that'll give much sharper lines than the original work. I want to have this thing in my lounge room so I do want it look as fresh and clean as possible.

Comment

I managed to get a little bit done this weekend, that being replacing the rubbers and globes along with cleaning up the play field.

Name:	IMG20190610142732.jpg
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	1848936
                        This is before I did anything, with shot rubbers and grime everywhere.

Name:	IMG20190610144659.jpg
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	1848937
                        Half way through replacing globes and rubbers.

Name:	IMG20190610144732.jpg
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	1848938
                        Play field plastics removed and ready for cleaning.

Name:	IMG20190610164546.jpg
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	1848939
                        Globes replaced, plastics clean and reinstalled, fresh rubbers.

It all looks pretty good so far. I do have a few dead globes still. And more that are extremely intermittent. I think I going to have to go through every socket and try to rework them as best as I can. I'd say at least half of them are dodgy, they cut in and out if you even look their way.

I did manage to fix the 2 non-function playfield switches. The first, the right-hand kicker, was stuck closed circuit. A quick bending of the contacts sorted that. The other one, the centre drop-down target was traced to a dodgy micro-switch. I replaced that with one I salvaged out of a microwave years ago...

So the list of stuff that ain't working is shrinking,

All that's left is a few play field globes and the second coin switch.

Comment

dremel 443 brush in the socket.. give it a light bit of loving to take the tarnish off,
                          as for the rest of the socket i forget what type they are you but can solder most of the pressed ones.

post a pic of the socket ( from underside)

Comment

Originally posted by wiredoug View Post
                            dremel 443 brush in the socket.. give it a light bit of loving to take the tarnish off,
                            as for the rest of the socket i forget what type they are you but can solder most of the pressed ones.

post a pic of the socket ( from underside)

Name:	IMG20190610174627[1].jpg
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	1848941

Comment

nice
                              clean the green corrosion off (B) ( dremel or small file) and solder the wire from the closest tab (A) to end ( B)
                              clean where the barrel meets the other tab and solder that as well. (C)

essentially move wire A to point B, Solder C

Name:	sockets.jpg
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	1848942

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X